“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windermere Marina Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowness-on-Windermere
Windermere Marina Village
You added Windermere Marina Village to your Saves list
The Marina, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3JQ , England   |
Offers & Announcements
Great Lake District Deal
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We recently stayed for a week and I have summarised the positives and negatives
Positives
Pleasant reception staff at check in
Apartment nicely furnished with new oak furniture in bedrooms and modern bathrooms
Nice view and sitting out balcony
Apartment Cosy and warm and very clean
Very comfy beds with good quality bedding
Negatives
We had a hen or stag party next door to us and the racket from a Saturday night party was awful. Note that these apartments are let to all male or all female parties so it's a risk you run. We reported this next day to reception who seemed fairly disinterested and said there was nothing they could do- no apology which was disappointing
The view over the Marina in October in more of a view over a boat storage area as it's wall to wall boats most covered with tarpaulins for the winter. We never saw a boat move during our week there.
The shower pressure from Mira electric showers was poor
There is only one small tv in the lounge which is portable sized and far too small for the size of the lounge
The swimming pool is not being rebuilt and while you can use one a couple of miles away it has no parking so makes a swim visit tricky
The landscaping around the apartments in a bit scruffy
There was major building work on site and although the notice to builders asks for no noise before 9.30 we were wakened most mornings at 8 by hammering and banging
Our biggest shock was bring charged £42 for electricity in a week that was mainly sunny and warm and needed almost no heating. Lord knows what kind of bill you'd get for a frosty winter week so be warned. For some strange reason you are not charged for electricity if you stay five nights or less so my advice would be only to do a short break to avoid hefty charges
I feel we paid too much given the noise from building work and the disturbance from a party and the fact that the apartments have no washing machine
It was an ok week and the apartments may be more scenic in the summer when the Marina has some life about it
My advice would be make sure you know what you're renting, what additional charges you will have and how building work will impact on your break
We had an ok week but are unlikely to book a repeat visit

Overall we had an ok week but it's overpriced for what you get

Room Tip: As far away from building work as possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WindermereMarina, Public Relations Manager at Windermere Marina Village, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your Windermere Marina Village cottage. I am pleased you found the property well furnished and cosy, your additional comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments for their appropriate attention.
I am sorry you were disturbed by your neighbours. Although we do accommodate the occasional group, disturbance is rare. Our on-site security guard would have been happy to address the noise, the telephone number can be found in the guest information.
I do hope you consider Windermere Marina Village again in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our apartment ( no 25 ) at the Windermere Marina Village was a special place to stay because:

It had a luxurious feel to it ( especially the bathrooms ).
The view of the marina was inspiring to see on rising in the morning.
It was very spacious and modern
There were three bedrooms and 3 bathrooms so everyone had their own bathroom.
It was well equipped.
It was near to the attractive town of Bowness-on-Windermere.

Downsides to the accommodation:

There weren't any really but we were surprised that the 3 bed apartment only had the one television!

The construction work was a bit of an eyesore but as we stayed at a weekend there was thankfully no noise.

All in all I would recommend the Windermere Marina Village apartments and I hope to return there one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Friday 5th Oct-Monday8th Oct. Spot on in every way, helped by beautiful weather. The apartment was south facing, benefitting from great views over the marina and evn the lake in the distance. The apartment was one bedroom but the living space was very spacious. We had invited friends for dinner one evening and the dining table had ample room for six. There was everything one could ask for in the kitchen. Fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, lots of cutlery, utensils, crockery etc. Adjacent building work was no problem, I do not know why some people have complained, I guess they must belong to the "half empty glass brigade".
A pleasant one mile walk from the Marina along a lakeside track to Bowness and all the boat trips, don't take the car into Bowness, parking is difficult. There is a Tesco Express in Bowness, large Booths supermarket in Windermere. Our family (daughter, husband and two grandchildren) came to visit us for a day and we went on a marvellous cruise of Windermere.

Room Tip: If you chooes a ground floor apartment/cottage you have a great patio, but no view, only large boats...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a 4 night break at WMV. We drove there in the pouring rain and arrived around 3pm. Although, we were informed we could not check in until 4pm, we were given the keys and shown where to go. When we opened the door of apt 18, it was lovely and warm and so welcoming. Upon going inside, we were more than satisfied with the accomodation on offer. The apartment was so cosy and exceptionally clean. There was nothing that we wanted for. There was even a dishwasher!!! The building work did not interrupt our stay at all, this was minimal. Although we had the unfortunate luck of being there during the terrible floods and gales, this did not stop us going out and about, and everything is just a short walk away. Thank you WMV, we will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dunoon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have just returned from a four night break at the marina village and loved every minute of it! I took my partially disabled mother and my 9 month old puppy and the accommodation was perfect for all three of us.
The kitchen was well equiped with everything we required to make sufficient meals - with tin foils accessories etc.
The dealings we had with staf were extremely pleasant and helpful and a pleasure to deal with no matter how busy they were.
Due to my mothers disabilities we did not use the facilities at the Old England Hotel however we did go and look at them and they look wonderful - I will take advantage next time!
We enjoyed lovely walks each day, although at first we were aprehensive about passing the building site the workmen were very polite and helpful and put our fears to ease and if we were not passing the site each day to use that exit we would not have known their presence.
The furniture and fittings standard were excellent the beds were comfortable and I will be returning with my husband as soon as I can twist his arm! :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage 17 and were very pleased with it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here for seven nights in September 2012. As I was due to arrive late I phoned the office a couple of days before hand to arrange out of hours key collection. The instructions given were spot on and there were no problems with the key collection at midnight when I arrived.

Stayed in number 36 which is a first floor apartment. Very nice interior, maintained to a high standard with balcony overlooking the marina. I have uploaded some photos. Bed was comfortable and it contained all the necessary amenities I needed for a weeks stay. Bathroom was lovely; again I have attached a photo. Before I write the next part, let me just say that there were no problems with the flat and that it was very clean, tidy and equipped to a high standard. I paid £561 for seven nights.

Now for the problems…

I note from previous reviews that there are problems with the WiFi, there is in Flat 36 also. The signal from the booster was very weak and I could only get a signal over one side of the lounge. This is nothing to do with the speed of the internet which the official replies from WMV appear to imply, it’s simply down to a lack of boosters around the site, more need to be installed, simple! When I did get a connection it was sluggish. Fortunately the flat above me is privately owned and they had their own BT Broadband connection and I was able to use the Public BT Openzone connection offered with it, thank heavens as I would have been stuck without it! The signal was very strong and speeds of up to 5MB/s were achievable. I note the comments from WMV about Bowness having slow connections, this was a problem when using their own connection but not with the BT one. If the BT one allows such fast speeds why does the internal WMV one not allow such fast speeds? Probably because there are too many users on a single connection! I think if WMV are to offer WiFi as a selling point for these premises it needs to be improved as many people appear to be complaining about it. In essence, if you really need internet when you are here like I did, make your own arrangements and bring a USB mobile device. There is a good 3G signal on Orange and T-Mobile, Vodafone sadly only had a 2G GPRS signal, I can’t comment for O2 as I don’t have an O2 device.

Now onto the building work. When I booked the accommodation I was told that “most of the disruptive works are now finished, some low level daytime improvements continue but are unlikely to impact on your stay” and was offered a 15% discount to reflect this. Hmm, sorry, nowhere near the case. The building next to the apartment I stayed in was being completely rebuilt, diggers, excavators, scaffolding, dust, rubble abound. See the photos to get an idea? At 7.30AM most weekday mornings I was woken by banging, grinding, hammering and the sound of heavy commercial vehicles moving around outside with loud warning bleepers as they reverse; all of this despite a sign on one of the safety fences saying “no noise before 9.30AM”. As you can see from the photos the building work is far from finished.

Overall I had a pleasant week, but I really think that WMV could have been more honest about the building work and also the WiFi needs improving. Would I stay again? No, there are far better properties without all the hassle of the construction work, with similar or better views and with their own dedicated internet connection for either the same price or less.

I’ve given it 3/5 only because of the construction work, if it wasn’t for this, 4/5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WindermereMarina, Public Relations Manager at Windermere Marina Village, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Windermere Marina Village. I'm pleased you found your apartment to be of a high standard and generally enjoyed your break.
I am sorry that you found the WiFi to be inadequate but pleased there was a solution via the apartments BT Broadband connection. We have done everything possible to ensure our guests are not distrubed by the development onsite and can only apologise that this was not the case for you. I hope you consider trying us again at some point in the future.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Have just returned from a 4 night stay here I went with my husband and our dog - Henry boaxer dog. We stayed in cottage number 5 which is away from the building work. The cottage was lovely a real home from home feeling to it. It was very clean and modern and the kitchen was well equiped. It was a lovely work along the lake to Bowness our dog loved it. We will definately be going back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Windermere Marina Village? Share your experiences!