“A step above” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
“A step above”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I visited with my father. The food was divine, every element was executed with precision and skill. The starter of mushrooms was superb and the salmon and monkfish kebab served on rice surpassed even that. At the end I was tempted by a cheesecake just to see whether the pudding was just as masterful. I was not disappointed. The wine, a Malbec, could've been nicer but presumably I should've chosen better. Pricey but worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is the second time we have eaten in this restaurant and we were not disappointed. I took my husband and my in laws for a 70th birthday celebration and the food was excellent. The 3 course set price menu is particularly good value for money. Lovely food and ambience. The staff were very friendly and the service excellent.

Visited July 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Old school dining!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We visited the restaurant having been turned away by Riva around the corner (as they were too busy). The fixed price menu sounded ok and our hotel had recommended Jacksons so we decided to give it a go. The staff were welcoming but the service overall was quite old school. The menu is quite expensive but has a good choice. We all opted for the fixed price menu as it sounded the best value, I had stuffed mushrooms which were pleasant if a little under seasoned. My mother had cod loin which looked nice but was served with sweet chilli sauce which had put me off choosing it. For mains I had trout which was nice but a little bland and all mains were served with a dish of mixed veg, carrots, broccoli, green beans, new potatoes and red cabbage. My fiancé had lamb and black
Pudding casserole which he said was nice but it only contained 3 pieces of lamb. We all avoided the chicken served with bolognese (?!). The food was fine just a little boring and we felt they could have been a little more adventurous with the sauces and vegetables. The service was quite formal and the decor is a bit bizarre. It really felt like somewhere that hadn't been updated since the 90s but of you're happy to overlook that it is probably an good option for dinner in Bowness if you don't want Italian food!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“Tremendous ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Faultless. The fillet steak was the best I have ever eaten. Cheeseboard was fantastic. From walking through the door to leaving all of the staff were extremely friendly and professional. I wish we had found it earlier so we could have visited twice. Would visit the area again just to eat here. Amazing.

Newtown, United Kingdom
“Amazing restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We ate here on our final night for our 'mini-moon'....it was the best meal we had, and my husband summed it up well...'wish we found this place on our first night!'
The food was fantastic, (highly recommend the chicken bolognaise dish they do) the staff very welcoming and friendly. I managed to sneakily speak to a member of staff, possibly the manager, not sure, and mentioned it was our honeymoon and was there anything special he could do as a surprise for my hubby, and he said leave it to him. He bought out a wonderful complimentary selection of the tastiest desserts ever! It was a wonderful way to finish the evening.
Can't recommend this place highly enough.
Thank you for a fantastic meal!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere