“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Kendal Road, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3EW, England   |
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My partner surprised me on my birthday with a night away at this hotel. The room was lovely, with complimentary chocolates which were delicious. The bath with a TV was fab and the shower was really nice. The bed was really comfy. The staff were really helpful and chatty. The breakfast was really nice too - I went for the Cranleigh cooked breakfast. The hotel was quiet and is in a great location, only a walk away to the lake. We ate at a local tapas restaurant on the night which did really nice food. There is only a few parking bays at the front of the restaurant, however there is more parking near a car park at a near by hotel - only one minute walk (if that). The only issue we had was that had changed the room that we originally booked. They did however give prior notice and the room we were given was just as nice so this wasnt a problem. Overall excellent hotel.

Room Tip: We had room number 5 which was facing the road at the front of the hotel. The room was quiet, clean...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
East London, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Lived up to all we had read about the hotel. It is newly renovated and very tastefully done. Our room was on the second level (loft style) and we were blessed with awesome weather which also meant the room was a touch hot in the afternoon, but soon cooled down with the window and skylight open. Less parking bays than cars so you may need to park at an additional area 100m away.
The rooms are well appointed and super clean, with good attention to detail The staff are enthusiastic and service is really very good. The location is superb, with a short walk to all Bowness has to offer. Certainly the a place we would return to.

Room Tip: Rooms in front on main road can be subject to noise if window is open
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
hudson101, Public Relations Manager at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Great thanks very much for your review; we really do appreciate our guests’ feedback. We love that you like the taste of the hotel and that you think are service is very good. Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you in the future.
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

We were lucky enough to win a nights stay in The Cranleighs "The Hideout" through their Facebook competition and we were not dissapointed with the quality of the house, the service we recieved and the location of the house/hotel.

There was a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates awaiting us on arrival, a very nice gesture! The house itself is stunning, like something from an episode of MTVs "Cribs". The downstairs bath/cinema room with built in cocktail bar (with a fantastic range of complimentary drinks) was easily our favourite part of the house but the rest of the property is equally as nice. The fridge was stocked with items for a continental breakfast but we were told if we wanted we could take the short walk to the hotel for a full English, we opted for the continental breakfast in The Hideout - you want to spend as much time as possible in that luxury!!

There is a large selection of DVDs (including 3D films to watch on the Sony 3D TV upstairs) and fantastic technology in place to control the Bose surround sound, downstairs Sonos system and of course the Tv's. iPod docks are available if you would rather play your own music.

We could not of asked for a better stay and are hopeful of returning to The Cranleigh one day to stay in one of the rooms within the hotel, which look equally as fantastic. The hotel/house could not be in a better location either, just a very short walk from the centre of Bowness. Hours after arriving home we received a curtesy call making sure we arrived home safely and enjoyed our stay, again a very nice touch! All in all we could not of been happier with the house or the service we received. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
What a fantastic review, thank you so much. We are very happy that you enjoyed our very special private accommodation ‘The Hideout’. It sounds like you made great use of the facilities, which is brilliant as ultimately we recognise that this is what sets the Hideout apart from anything like it. I’m not surprised you opted for the continental breakfast most guests do, they want to make the most of their time within the house which when you see it you realise why.

Thanks for you recommendations and the feedback on the house in particular, we’re glad you found it ‘stunning’ we aimed to create the WOW factor and the downstairs cinema room is easily our favorite room too.

We hope to welcome you within the hotel in the future.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our short stay at this very friendly Hotel. The staff were lovely, the room extremely clean and comfortable with a lovely view of Lake Windermere. This hotel is very convenient for the small town and lake tours and so we were able to leave our car in the car park!! We didn't visit the spa, but suspect it is lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have never written a review of any hotel I have stayed at. Mainly because I usually can't be bothered, or because I don't think anyone actually reads them. From the minute I started reading reviews of the Cranleigh, I knew that I wanted to stay there and see what all the fuss was about. It certainly did not disappoint!

I booked the hotel as a 23rd birthday present for my boyfriend last month. My boyfriend Brian and I stayed there on the 28th and 29th of May. I think I have partly struggled to write this review because I don't think that words will do it justice....but I will give it my best shot.

The Cranleigh boasts about offering the best in romance. They certainly did not disappoint! 5* truly deserved. Nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in room 8, which was perfect for us. My favourite feature was the heated floor in the bathroom. A very minor criticism is that the bathrobes could have been softer to add to the luxury provided.

Having said that, it was such a minor issue that it did not change how much I loved the hotel!!!! We felt that the hotel staff were very friendly and took a genuine interest in us, which made our trip that much more special. Elena at reception was particularly fantastic in the way she dealt with all of our questions regarding things to see and do in the area, including advice on where to eat etc.

I really could go on about how amazing I think this hotel is, but as I said before, nothing I say will do it justice. It's best you go ahead and experience it for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

Kwilo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked this as a weekend away trip before our baby arrives for my husband’s birthday. From the day of booking I had constant contact via emails received about things to do and making the trip extra special. I ordered chocolate covered strawberries for one day and chocolates for another. I also had communication with regards to looking at a place to have afternoon tea. After a few emails back and forth even though it is advertised on their website the hotel couldn’t tell me the prices and suggested I look for myself which I had already done. The hotel was very accommodating when I emailed asking for extra towels to fit around my bump! And they also provided me with the maternity unit number for the closest hospital just encase anything did happen.

We arrived at the Cranleigh on the Friday slightly ahead of their check-in time. This is the first hotel I have ever stayed at where the room was not ready, we were advised to go and have a look around and then come back between 2.30-3. We did just that went to the Beatrix potter museum and had a walk by the lake all of which was lovely.

We arrived back at the Cranleigh and the receptionist took us up to our room (room 11) my only slight issue here was the speed at which she went. Being 35 weeks pregnant and trying to get up 2 flight of stairs meant by the time I got to the top I was exhausted. She then quickly ran through everything I don’t think I caught half of what she said so maybe I would recommend that she slow down a bit when explaining about the room.

The room its self was spotless if I was on four in a bed I would say the only thing that let it down was a couple of scuff marks above the bath but it’s not something which would ever bother you. The TV in the bath was a lovely touch just sad I couldn’t use the bubbles in the bath but hubby did and said they were fab. The chocolate strawberries were there on arrival but so were the chocolates (this made me a little sad as I wanted hubby to have 2 presents on 2 days) he didn’t care though and enjoyed the strawberries though most of the chocolate stayed stuck to the plate. It’s a fab idea to have a dvd library (though you might want to update some of the films and check the spelling of Bridget!) Apart from me being picky it was amazing including Huggie who had a slight hole under his arm but fell in love with the teddy. It was also a nice touch to have a letter waiting for you but unfortunately my name was spelt incorrectly.

I spoke to the evening receptionist on the way out on the Friday night with regards to ordering a film. She was happy to put the film in the room for us, not only that she said she would replace huggie for us, I said no please don’t and that we would buy him and she knocked him down in price for us. I also mentioned the bath robes which were not soft and were quite straggly, she said they were changing from old to new and that we probably had old ones. That evening we went out to eat at the Sutherland pub what amazing food.

When we returned that night we had chocolates waiting in our room, the water had been topped up bathroom items replaced and it was just very cosy.

The breakfast on the Saturday morning was fantastic cooked to perfection and a nice selection of other items in the fruit and cereal range. Saturday we spent out and about.

Then Saturday night we spent on a boat which was recommended by the Crangleigh facebook page which was Sail ‘N’ Dine. John with his boat is the number 1 attraction in the town and he deserves that honour. The whole experience was amazing and definitely well worth the money. I am very glad they promoted this option for people to use.

We returned on the Saturday night again to chocolates on the pillows and everything replenished.

Sunday we had again another amazing breakfast and proceeded to check out. The receptionist was lovely and we left with our huggie!

The only things I would change with regards to the Cranleigh,
1.The speed of being shown everything in the room.
2.The bathrobes so they were soft and fluffy and fitted even pregnant ladies!
3.Paying for the room I would have preferred all the money to be paid at once at the beginning then any additional extras charged at the end of the stay.
4.Make sure that reception knows what the Facebook page is offering when you promote items, so when you do communicate you are not having to say where abouts it is on your own website.
5.The price I can understand why it is the price it is, but maybe offering the rooms at even £20 less a night would make it more affordable. Especially the hideaway hubby would love to stay there but justifying £400 a night isn’t easy.
6.Make sure you spell the customer’s name right on the letter in the room which was a lovely touch but spelling my name incorrectly made me a little sad.
7.Make sure that if you are offering to do sweets , chocolates etc that you follow the instructions in the emails.
8.Just because it is so nice move check out time to a bit later maybe 11.30!

Would we stay here again most definitely the hotel does exactly what you would expect for a 5* hotel. Would I give it 5* in this review yes because I am probably being quite picky with the items I found fault with. Highly recommend this for couples of all ages!

P.S. Love the Tied Up door hangers so you don’t get disturbed!

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in luxury room no 5 for the occasion of my 40th birthday . The quality of the hotel, rooms, staff and service was perfect with little touches which makes your stay even better. Can t wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cranleigh Boutique? Share your experiences!