“Poor Noisy Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 4AF, England   |
UK
“Poor Noisy Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Negatives - Check in a struggle not a lot of smiles! Room a tiny box room. No A/C no fan tiny windows = very hot room! Bathroom dirty pubic hair in bath/shower (not mine!) and sink not great! People running up and down the corriodor at all hours. Not a great nights sleep - Dissapointing for a large hotel chain.
Positives - OK price £63 for room only / Kavi restuarant good and also a smile at checkout not just from me!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Warwick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I didn't stay at the Ramada (thankfully) but my company booked a meeting room there for two people to use for a day. I can only say don't use this facility if you want to impress anyone or take advantage of lavish business facilities! The reception area has clearly been refurbished and is not unpleasant, but the effect was ruined by a woman hoovering around me as I checked in and a timid, slightly ineffectual receptionist. When my colleague arrived she was made to wait for 15 minutes as they hadn't realised we were together! (and she was hoovered around as well...). The "Boardrooms" are situated up several flights of stairs (no evidence of a lift if you don't manage stairs) and were tatty, badly signposted and consist of 3 rooms divided by plywood with random hangings on the walls. Plus point - very comfortable chairs. Downsides - stained carpets, peeling paintwork, a view of what looked like a hostel, trucks reversing under the window to collect rubbish...wasps on the window sill...plugs in the ceiling..a towel wedged into a roof cavity to stop what must have been a leak....Lunch was average (a chicken salad mutated into a tuna one) with dry sandwiches and grubby cutlery. Similarly the toilets were tired and grubby towels left on the sink were not inviting. Free wireless was excellent - fast and easy to use. They charge £2.20 pp for a pot of coffee which came in an ancient metal teapot and spilt most of it on the tablecloth. Not an impressive venue. Functional I guess, but you get better at Holiday Inn Express or even meeting at nearby M6 services. At least you'd get a proper coffee....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

A close friend of mine had their wedding here mid July so My wife and I didn't think twice and booked to stay at the same venue. The wedding was ok not ours so I feel i shouldn't coment. Being Ballroom dancers the spacious room was great however the floor being slippy was concerning.
On arrival I was greeted by an empty reception desk, a flustered receptionist did apprear a few minutes later but felt no need to apologise for our wait. The first room was in use which was very embarrasing so we then were given a second card to another room. On entering the room the heat was very apparant. I asked reception for a fan but was only adviseed there were none left. The shower was not working very well so we were unable to get ready for our reception in the comfort we had hoped. We also made the mistake of ordering room service... after waiting an hour it came to the room not exactly what we ordered but at this stage I had the gist of the standards and was not surprised. I was however never billed for this.. seeing as I never complained i can only presume another example of the lack attituded staff.
The nights sleep was ok, very hot and the bed was hard not a 4 star room in the slightest. breakfast the next day..... undercooked and greasey.

The only pleasure during my stay was the checkout, although this was delayed and took quite a while i had the peace of mind the torture was over . I was very shocked at how poor the standards at this venue were and even more shocked that Ramada want to be associated with it. It was not only the interior but the staff were generally unfriendly and boarding on rude. I will not be returning or recomending it in the near future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We attended a Wedding at the Hotel and on check in the staff were very friendly and let us check into our room an hour early. One gentleman helped up with our luggage to the room as we had quite alot traveling from Wales. When we got into our room we were very satisfied, nice spacious room with a view overlooking the front lawns. I called down to reception to request an iron and ironing board and this was brought to me very promptly, the service of the staff was spot on, the wedding was beautiful and the chandeliers in the Ballroom are stunning.
We had a very good night stay and would definitely stay here again when visiting family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

When i booked this hotel i was dreading the stay and as it was a surprise i was really hoping for the best!! The hotel isn't great looking from the outside but i tried hard not to pre-judge on looks!! The service at reception was good but the lady seemed like she was lacking in confidence and was a bit nervous ( i am really not an intimidating person!!) We checked in and first impressions were not too bad, seemed very quiet which is unusual. Got to our room and our card wouldn't work which was a a bit annoying, after playing about with it for a bit we finally got through the door, i was pleasantly surprised! The room was very clean and modern and exceeded my expectations!

As it was good weather we went to the Monkey Forest which we were told would be a nice way to spend an afternoon, lovely place and perfect weather!

Had a great evening although england lost and my boyfriend spent most of the evening sulking i thoroughly enjoyed myself! Food was ok, not brilliant but still enjoyed it.

Had breakfast in the morning before heading off to Alton Towers, overall it is a nice hotel that i think needs some credit! I would recommend it but i would not go there for "luxury"

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Looking at the website we thought this hotel would be really nice. Pulling up outside we realised: ITS NOT. mostly i see reviews as just people being picky or moany but (although i admittedly stay in nice places) - it is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in.
Area felt a bit rough but not too bad. pulled up outside and looked at the building (which evidently must have once been a block of dirty flats/bedsits) I wanted to go home but.. gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Reception:: Inside - Really nice. marble floor, nice decor - receptionist was OK - no complaints about the staff. SO we thought perhaps we were- and the reviews we read were harsh. NOPE. we had no help with our bags to the rooms where we walked several flites of stairs as no lifts. - this hotel is not suitable for wheelchair users or people with limited mobility.
hallways very dated and big wooden doors..grubby.

Room: the furniture looked ok. advantages are the flat screen t.v and the tiling in the bathroom quite modern. thats it. The bed is like sleeping on a wooden table. light fittings in bathroom falling out of ceiling and the door between bedroom and bathroom was in horrendous condition. can tell that the door has been there for years (and from the tenants that lived in the grubby bedsits in probebly 1920) stained with unknown substance and wear n tare. The windows are old and dont open well - not double glazed. Room severly hot so phoned down to request a fan and a small desk fan was brought to us promptly.
ordered room service - food OK. --- asked for ice bucket and we were brought a bucket of water with a few melted ice cubes.

decor downstairs however - modern. breakfast not bad for buffet.

The website makes this hotel look really high market but this is definitly misleading. I guess it could be worse because we slept well even though the bed was hard, no noise and there were no bugs so thats a plus. Definitly overpriced and i would expect to pay half this to stayhere or in a hotel in such poor condition.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed here on a hot May night (26 degrees in the day). Walked in the reception which was nice and air cooled and very smart. Unfortunately when we walked upstairs the heat hits you. Oh My God! If it was 30 - 35 degrees it wouldn't surprise me.
Windows open 120mm and a complete sauna all night long.
Woke in the morning after 1 -2 hours of sweating sleep and couldn't wait to leave feeling ill. Worth staying if they install Air con but until they do, Avoid like the Plague.
Receptionists helpful but very nervous, I expect from so many people complaining I expect.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!