“appauling !!!” 1 of 5 stars

Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 4AF, England   |
London
“appauling !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I travel frequently with my work and this hotel is definately the worst one !!! the service , the quality, the rooms, the business centre, I dont understand how this comes under the Ramada umbrella ????

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Oraiokastro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

the location is very nice,the hotel ameminities are poor,but the staff friendly, my problem i think was the cleanliness.generally,we were out all day and only for the sleep we stayed at the hotel.the breakfast fresh and minimal.ok,for two or three nights is ok,but not for vacations

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Suffolk, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Thinking this is a Ramada and it would bed nice, well once you get past the front desk area, which is very nice, the story changes.
Yes, the parking is free, but the parking lot set on a hill and have to drag your luggage up the parking lot to the lobby. Staff where friendly and nice. Hand to walk up stairs to get to room with heavy luggage. Hotel does not have any elevators, so handcapped or individuals who cannot navigate stairs, stay away.
On arrival to our rooms, After a long walk down creaky hallway, with really dated carpet, we had to go through 4 flight of stairs, with doors before everyone, the room cards are generic and do not direct which why are to be inserted. After in the room the door continued to beep for 3 minutes after door closed. I have stayed in many hotel rooms and never had the door beep.
There was a serious lack of lighting in the room. The bathroom had dark brown tile that just sucked up all the light.
Had King size bed in my room, and two full size beds in the kid's room. All argree the bed must be made up of plywood. The beds where overly hard and uncomfortable.
One issue the hotel is down the road from a hospital. Although, I did not hear, my teenagers complained of frequent ambulances at night. The reason my husband and I did not hear the emergency vehicle our room faced away from the street.
Positives: The room did have a flat screen TV, hairdryer, hot water pot to make tea. Also internet WiFi was fast.
Food: I let my husband talk me into eating dinner in the resturant...don't make this mistake. The food is not even mediocre. The decor is a black and white them...ugly.
Breakfast: Was better, you can get the traditional English Breakfast with the small Continental buffet. This was fine nothing to write home about.
I would never stay here again. I understand that hotels in England are individually owned...but the Wyndham Corporation should expect better of business that display any part of their corporate line.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Stone, staffs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Well, I had my works do at the ramada hotel. It was the Gangsters and Molls themed party, with a full night of entertainment including your first drink served in a tea cup (supposed to be a 1920's illicit spekeasy type place, culminating with one of ythe country's best acrobats.

Well the reality was sadly different, there was no drink offered on arrival, and when pulled up over this the manager just said you have to pay for it it's not free, well thats me and about another fifteen people who had the same conversation told. The entertainment involved a couple of men wwalking around the tables telling crap jokes, the acrobat didn't turn up either and no explanation was offered.

I went to bed at one thirty AM, due to constant banging at two fifteen i tried to call reception, no answer,after forty or so minutes of trying i packed my bags and went to reception, no one there, was ringing from my mobile but no answer anywhere, i eventually got the night porter at three am, and asked for a refund on the room. This had to be referred to the manager, who then had to refer it to head office a few days later, eventually i was offered a twenty pound refund on the cost of the suite i had booked, I have refused this and am now claiming in the small claims court against the hotel

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Well, my fiance treated me to tickets for alton towers and left me to book the hotel for the night before. I thought that being a ramada that it would be nice, i couldnt have been more wrong!

free parking - good!

location - middle of nowhere, local pub about 5 minutes walk - we was in there straight away at around 2.30pm getting drunk so that i wouldn't remember how bad the hotel was!!

outside appearence - looks like a cheap block of grubby flats in the pit of london.

staff - man at front desk completely ignored us for a good 2 minutes, even after we had to drag our cases up the hill to get to the hotel main doors. polite female staff member walked over and helped us with our booking. The man continued to sit and type on the computer and not even look at us! She gave us our room key and off we went to find it.

Inside of hotel - smelled gross and seemed like something from a old hospital, 50year old carpets, huge heavy wooden doors - looked like complete idiots trying to hold these open and drag case through without letting it slam shut and smack my fiance in the face!, a million stairs, not one single lift. had to go up about 3 floors, with cases, no-one offered any help, didnt know where we were going so it took us a while to find our room.

Room - EW! not worth £65 per night (NOT including breakfast) tiny and VERY dated. grubby felt, very uncomfortable, no sheet under the matress to cover the stained bed frame. years worth of grime climbed up the doors, at least 10 inchs. the windows were not double glaced, pretty much all the paint chipped off, looking out onto another disgusting building looking much the same as this one, about 2 metres gap in between at most. the bathroom window was so high up you couldn't reach it and it could only be opened but pulling on a thick peice of string that hung in the middle of the bathroom, all withered at the end, it was white at the top and dark brown at hand level - ew! Wires and stuff dragged around the bed, not sure what the led to because the lamp didnt work.

Overall, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! I was in complete shock of the room, I slept wearing socks and as much clothing as possible so that I didnt have to touch any of the bed covers, and because it was freezing cold, with no heating and VERY noisy from main road night next to us!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

pulling up outside i took a deep breath as it looked like an institution, but lets give it the benefit fo the doubt, check in was polite apart from they tried to chargebe £25 more than my confirmation stated! moving forward the walls in the corridor were damp, there was remnants of as leak in the foyer,just a mess!!! the corridor creaked on every step, my room key card didnt work so i had to have a weird old key to open the door.....the room was ok, small but ok,carpet needed a good vaccum, think dyson must have broken a week or two ago!!

evening meal ,well this was a challenge, the indian restaurant was outside, when we found it, the food was excellent but ordered a "homemade" baileys cheese cake from the menu and the waiter physically left the building and came sneaking back in the fire exit with it....I wonder what "home" this was made in???? fair play he didnt charge us for us when we pulled him up, but oh my goodness, faulty towers or what !!!!

Im currently in bed sharing this story, i wonder what breakfast will bring ???

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

stayed here for one night as a stop over on and england car touring holiday. the hotel looked and felt dated and empty!
its saving grace is a receptionist called nicola- she was so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much for her.
hotel was good value for money- we paid £52 for one double room plus breakfast. for the money you cant complain, beds good, nice white linen and spacious bathroom with toiletries. Breakfast basic no frills, but all there, served in a black/white themed dining room.
Road side appearance of hotel is not good. looks like a square blob glued onto an old house. large grounds for parking, but not many cars. morning breakfast many singletons on lap tops- presume they are reps/business travellers. Good stop over for Alton Towers.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!