“Unclean unpleasant management awful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel

You added Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel to your Saves list
Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 4AF, England   |
“Unclean unpleasant management awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is disgusting! Would never go back the management is rude! I asked for my money back because the bedding was dirty and the bathroom! And he was nowhere to be seen! Still waiting for my money back!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Had a double room here on 06/06/13 as we where going to Alton Towers on the 07 and had travelled from Wiltshire. Hotel was clean as was the room, bed was quite hard and the bar was expensive but that's my only complaint really. Breakfast was included in the £49 price and it was ok, the staff where friendly. Bit strange with the £50 authorisation that they put on the card when we arrived, then paid the £49 in the morning, haven't checked the bank yet to make sure it was only the £49 that came out. If you do stay here be prepared for lots of scots and jordies.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is now called the Great National having formerly been called Ramada. Obviously the Ramada Group have sold out. I booked this hotel for the price and then discovered the reviews on this site and after reading them expected a dire experience. My single room was fine and i was pleasantly surprised. Comfortable with a flat screen tv, tea/coffee facilities, white fluffy towels in the en suite bathroom and even a spare set in the cupboard under the tv. Yes there were some negatives. I couldn't seem to totally turn off the radiator so the room was slightly warm, the blinds definitely needed a good clean and a bit of fresh grouting on the bottom tiles of the bath/shower, but I was quite surprised that for the money it was pretty good. I was, however in the newer annexe section over the reception rather than the older part of hotel. The guy on reception was friendly and breakfast at 8.45am i could not fault. Cereals, fruit, yogurts, cold meats/cheese, pastries, toast and a great variety of very hot breakfast items, fruit juices and tea/coffee. I would definitely return. This is a budget hotel and if you want five star quality be prepared to pay for it but for a cheap one night stay I found it more than ideal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel for my husband and I for the evening of Saturday 25th May and paid the required deposit. The booking was made in the early morning of the Saturday before we began our journey and I left a mobile phone number with the booking and the required small deposit. I drove all the way from Glasgow and arrived quite tired just after 6pm as arranged with the hotel only to find they had not kept a room for us! I was furious but they were adamant that there was no room.
Later, while we were searching for somewhere to stay in Market Drayton (some miles away) the receptionist in a hotel told me that they had found a room for another couple who had exactly the same experience as us with the Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel. My advice, look elsewhere or at least don't assume you have a room even when you have a booking!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst visiting the monkey forest which is only 10mins drive away. The hotel was quite and only heard two other couples. The lobby is clean and modern and there was someone always on reception.
The stairs could do with a Hoover and walls a lick of paint in areas.
The bedroom was a nice size, double bed was comfy and clean sheets. Tea/coffee making facilities. Tv and dressing table and wardrobe. Again, carpet a little bit in need of a Hoover and walls a lick of paint. Bath room clean. Bath and shower. Bit dark though and could do with more light.
Didn't visit bar or have breakfast.
Overall, not the best ramada ive stayed at, but would recommend that hotel just look at the fine detail to things.

• Stayed May 2013
Newark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nipped in here for an informal business meeting and found a spookily empty car-park, no guests or anyone else (other than 2 staff) at all in the whole hotel. Refreshments ordered, distracted by the rat scurrying about outside the window, we decided not to stop for lunch and resolved to check the tripadvisor reviews later ....... now it all makes sense.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Stone, Staffordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We used this hotel last year for a wedding - the reason for my delay in writing this was to try and resolve a complaint with the manager before posting on here - as the manager has yet failed to come back to me with a resolve I feel it is only fair to let everyone know how disgusting this place is - I co-ordinated my best friends wedding here adn the run up to the event was fine - we checked in the night prior and started to discover lack of staff and also lack of knowledge - there was one guy on as a duty manager and a very young girl on the desk who appeared to be reduced to tears at the drop of a hat - no one introduced themselves to us the next morning to say that they were lookign after the wedding and again no prescence was felt by any management - we went off for the wedding and thats when the fun started - on returning no one had put out the red carpets - i had to runa round the hotel lookign for staff who then statred to put it out just as the bride and groom arrived - no welcome no congratulations at all - the bar wasnt opened and everyone had to mingle in the main bar - where there was a lack of glasses and staff - we had left 2 cds to be played in the private bar area which again I had to chase and put on myself - when it came time to seat everyone i had to do it by shoutiung everyone through - we had asked for the bar to be closed during this time as speeches were first again no one bothered to do this and so it took me a while to get everyone through on my own - I then had to go into the room adn announce the bride and groom through
In the meantime we had a huge leak in our bathroom - reception called and said that sorry its tough maintenance have gone home and they were full !!
The food was ok I have to say and the evening went well which was down to my experience in the industry
The bar staff were nothing short of a joke - differnet prices for rounds of drinks - over charging people by sometimes nearly £5 - not enough staff so 20 minutes to get a drink - again unnaceeptable
Rooms didnt have enough beds in them as requested and again they didnt seem to care
Hotel is dirty and needs money spending on it
I asked the receptionsit on check out not to charge my card due to the leak adn also the other complaints - I asked for the manager and event manager to call me to discuss - This is where things just got worse!! I am still waiting for hte Manager to call me - the event manager did call but refused to take any reposnibility - teh Manager did actually charge my card however against my wishes which Ihave had returned by Barclaycard eventually due to all the issues - The Manager of this hotel did meet with my friend the bride as she just turned up - however she is also still waiting for the manager to come back to her - we have both tried calling and emailing and it seems that email address's have changed and they never take the calls
This is a hotel that needs to be either sold to a company that cares or closed down - the management team have no care at all for any of the guests which is concerneing. All they are interested in is getting money off people for services that they have not provided - Rude arraogant people that certianly should not be in the hotel industry - to leave an 18 year old on the reception on her own at the weekend with no support is appalling - she was shouted at by every guest that checked out and was in tears all of the time
Please dont choose this hotel you will be disappointed

Room Tip: There are really no good rooms at this hotel - the bridal suite was ok but needed refurbishing