“Worst Hotel I have stayed in. Shocking customer service” 1 of 5 stars

You added Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel to your Saves list
Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 4AF, England   |
London
“Worst Hotel I have stayed in. Shocking customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked a family room (we were allocated room 46) for 2 adults and 2 children. The room had a double bed and a broken single Z-bed in it, Yes! 3 beds and when I questioned this they said "we can't put another bed in the room for health and safety reasons! we hoped you wouldn't notice!" They refused to move us to a room suitable for our booking "because we're full" they then proceeded to put a second, broken Z-bed in our "health & safety issue" room! When I complained to the totally inept staff saying this was a "Micky mouse business" they said "we know!"
the place smells, is dirty and is very poorly run. they had over bookings when we were they and made no effort to help the customer they had double booked...Don't book this hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

What to say, the staff are nice but a bit useless, the first room we stayed in had horrendous stains on the carpet, creaky floorboards , a massive spider, light bulbs gone and a humming noise from extractor fan outside. We complained and the next room we got had same problem, but with added dirty sink with hairs on it, dodgy bathroom tap, really bad reception on the tv, only one bath and hand towel for a family of three. Rang reception and eventually one more towel arrived. At 11.45pm, a private party at the hotel decided to set off fireworks outside the hotel directly underneath our room, rang reception noone bothered to answer phone. Breakfast at 9am was cold, we asked for hard boiled eggs for our five year old and got soft boiled eggs.
We complained on leaving to be told there were no managers to speak to, filled out a complaint form, waited all day for them to ring us back, rang them twice, to be told at 6pm Saturday to ring Monday. O h yes and the pillows are terrible, take your own.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Booked a room in advance through their website. Money was taken out of my account. Got there on the night that I was supposed to be staying and they didn't have a record of my booking. When I pulled up a print screen of my booking all the receptionist said was "oh yeah, that website does that all the time" and apparently 4 other couples had experienced the same treatment that night! They did not offer to find me another hotel and there was no manager there to speak to. My number was taken with the promise that the manager would get back to me on Monday but I didn't get a phone call. Terrible service, staff did not seem bothered that my money was taken and I had no room and didn't even try to help me. I won't be staying there again!

Stayed May 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and little girl over the bank holiday weekend having stayed a few years prior. I cannot believe how much the hotel has gone down hill in that time. The blinds were filthy it does not look like they have been touched in months. The windows look like they may fall out. Carpets are stained. Our bathroom was fine. Sheets looked clean until I saw the actual beds and mattresses look really old and are very stained. Did not eat in hotel. Much nicer hotels at half the price. Next time we will use premier inn or Travelodge again at Least you know what to expect.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The carpet is extremely filthy. It has stains all over. When I arrived I wanted to take a shower but there were no towels. When I tried to called reception to ask for them the phone wasn't working so I had to go down stairs to ask for them. We still didn't get them. On top of that when I tried to put the telly on, the remote control doesn't work. We decided then to go down to the bar and have some drinks but mine come in an extremely dirty glass which they were happy t change but at this time I was already bit fed up with everything going so wrong. S we decided to go out for a meal and come back early, we needed to sleep as we had to get up very early but it was a party going on in the hotel with ridiculously loud music that kept us up. I went downstairs two times to ask to the guy in reception if the can turn the music down and most importantly shut the windows of the restaurant as my bedroom was right above it. The guy said he needed the manager to shut the windows. Obviously that never happened. We felled wronged and disrespected and I want my money back. Never in my life had such a terrible experience in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked on line a day before arriving using their website, the system they use takes a deposit of £4.50. On arrival and going to book in, the gentelman at the reception desk, could not find the booking we had made on line and said it takes a couple of days to process. Never had this at any other hotel we have stayed at. He gave us a key (not electonic card) and brief directions. We went to find the room along dark corridors, the lights were not working correctly. On first glance the room looked quite nice, however there were two of us and only 1 chair to sit on in the room. The furniture was old but functional (a very large wardrobe, sideboard, desk and the bed). A flat screen TV sat on the sideboard, however it was two small to see the picture unless you sat close to it (could not see detail if sitting on the bed. The bathroom as was the rest of the room was in need of some TLC. The carpet in the room was stained in a number of places and the blinds on the window were very dusty. It looked like they had not been cleaned in sometime. The room was also very, very warm, even though there was no heating on and temperature outsde was around 8 degrees (Mid April 2013). They did supply free WiFi, it functioned at about 10 MBs on average (ultra slow). The only reasonable thing to say about the experience was breakfast, we were the only ones in the resturant and had to ask for the cooked breakfast. The food was as good as any other hotel stayed at. Just as well we were the only ones at breakfast as the toaster was broken and could only handle one side of two pieces of bread at a time. Certainly not value for money.

The hotel has been renamed from the Ramada to the Great National

Room Tip: Not a lot I can say
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The out side needs painting all the same colour because it was white cream and brick! not a good combo! the staff were really lovely and the young lady on reception (on check in) and the young man (on check out) was really experienced and good at their job! i got given a room and it was amazing! the best hotel room i have staid in! it was room not too big or too small and the bed was to die for! for the cost of £44 i would stay there every weekend! however a paint and carpit job wouldnt go a miss! but over all was a really good stay! the staff should be proud of them and the owner should be amazed that he has such good staff!

Room Tip: no swimming pool or fitness centre but if you need a cheap hotel this is the one for you! 100% bette...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!