You added Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel to your Saves list
Clayton Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 4AF, England   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel is great for the price you pay, yes it's not the Ritz but it's not expected to be. You can have a room without breakfast for £44 which is far better than £84 for the Holiday Inn just down the road. I stayed for 2 nights at the Ramada for nearly the same price as 1 at the Holiday Inn. Although the view from the outside gives you a poor first impression but upon entering you know you should never judge a book by its cover. Check in was thorough and swift, the atmosphere you get in the hotel is far more welcoming than you get in other hotels, The staff were well mannered and anything I needed was there within minutes. The room was Clean, spacious and the bed was very comfortable and i surprisingly didn't hear any noise from the main road, so 2 nights of the un-interrupted sleep. The on-site Indian restaurant was exquisite! I booked a table on arrival at the hotel and was told it was highly recommended. Now after eating there I will be saying exactly the same thing to my friends and family! Everything was cooked to perfection and full of flavour, and not too expensive either. I have visited the restaurant 3 times since with my wife and she loves it too. Overall this is a great hotel and you get what you pay for, some people have too high expectations and think they have payed to stay at a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have to admit after reading the reviews on here I was really worried about the booking is made at this hotel..however was pleasantly surprised..
We booked this as a stopover before going to Alton towers next day as its location is perfect.
Rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, bathroom immaculate ...we booked room in advance purchase (40 pound) and was complete value for money.
The rooms do need a tiny bit of tlc,some grout touch ups on tiles ..nothing that is going to ruin your stay ...
Checkin was swift...
All in all great wee hotel and wouldn't hesitate to book again

• Stayed May 2012
Perth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in April 2012. Room was dirty, unserviced with used towels and stains on the bathroom floor. It took the reception over an hour to produce a "duty manager" . He said there was nothing he could do and we ended up cleaning what we could ourselves.
Next morning, he was nowhere to be found and no-one knew anything about it. When I asked for compensation for the hassle, I was told that I could get a "free" £5 breakfast BUT only if I did not complain about the hotel!!
I now find that the hotel has charged my debit again some 4 days later so I have paid twice for the room. I have complained repeatedly to the head office - but getting nowhere - next stop is Trading Standards.
It should be noted that this is not a Ramada Hotel - is actually a Great National Hotel based in Ireland! - definetly one to stay away from

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

well i travelled to ur hotel for my nephews wedding from wales. i found u very much welcoming extremely pleasant fantastic sevices my food waS fantastic and u done everything i wanted i was very pleased and will defo come again..very grateful..c oneill

Room Tip: urwish is their command, brilliant service..
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stay in lots of hotels (37 last year!). These are booked for me by my employer, I can't pick and choose where I go, and I've stayed in some real turkeys, believe me. When I saw this booking, for only £59.00 B&B per night, I must admit that I did have my doubts. This impression does not improve upon arrival at the hotel, which from the outside, looks like Colditz. However, the reception staff were very pleasant and polite.

OK, the inside of this hotel is a bit tired, there are no lifts, and the corridor leading to the lowered numbered rooms does smell a bit musty. The other corridor is better. There's no aircon, and the rooms tend to be a bit hot, but they are clean and of adequate size. Unlike a Holiday Inn Express, you don't have to turn out and find somewhere to eat, this place has 2 restaurants, an english one (which I didn't try) and an Indian one, which is truly excellent. The breakfast in the morning was very good, and again, far, far better than in an HIE. So, for £59.00, this place is OK- definitely not the Ritz, and I wouldn't want to stay here for more than one or two nights, but it's OK.

I don't know who owns this hotel - it's definitely NOT a Ramada, as the name suggests. It's a no frills, budget hotel with basic, clean rooms and good food. The staff try hard to please, so give them a break.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher numbered room. The corridor to the lower numbered rooms has a permanent slightl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I looked at the reviews on this hotel before I came and did not look good but this hotel is more than adequate for one night for us and was very modern and clean so I think people have exaggerated a little bit however the other rooms I have not ventured i

• Stayed April 2012
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I booked this hotel, and then read a few reviews on Trip Advisor…….. I was quite apprehensive about my stay because of them. I thought I was going to be staying in the grubbiest, foulest, and most unpleasant hotel in the world. Alas, little did I know that the reviews I had perused were simply the distorted musings of the type of people who take photographs of broken plug chains and expect coffee and biscuits upon arrival. Coffee and biscuits upon arrival! Granted, the reviewer requested them for an old diabetic individual, but- I have to be honest- if you are truly diabetic, you would (or should) take your own snacks with you. Also, this is a hotel towards the more budget end of the market, so expectations should be adjusted accordingly. I once stayed in a 5* hotel in Bangkok and got a welcome cocktail and I once stayed in a windowless bamboo shack in India and got a welcome cockroach! The point is that one was very expensive and one cost £1.50 a night, and I happily stayed in both and had as great a time in one as I did in the other. I was getting a product or service appropriate to the price I paid for it and the people reviewing anything on this site should remember that before potentially ruining a business with petty outbursts.
I stayed at this hotel on 10th and 11th April 2012, in Room 15, which faces the road. The total cost was £98 including breakfast, and this represented excellent value. The hotel is easy to find if you have more than one brain cell, and is in a good location that is safe, reasonably quiet, and has easy access to transport links. It is close to Newcastle-under-Lyme Town Centre (5 minute drive) and Trentham Lakes (10 minute drive at the most). There are a lot of good value pubs nearby that serve food, restaurants and bars in Newcastle-town-Centre, or an onsite Indian restaurant (which was very good quality) if you don’t want to venture far. Check-in was swift and efficient and they noted down my wake-up call. Unfortunately- shock horror- I was able to see a small Co-operative mini supermarket/petrol station from my window. Unlike other reviewers, this- amazingly- didn’t ruin my stay at all because I spent most of my time in the room sleeping rather than looking out of the window.
The room itself was clean, warm, quiet, and well furnished. The bed was large and comfy with crisp, clean, white sheets. There was a large wardrobe, desk, comfy chair, and flat screen TV. Coffee/Tea tray was stored in the TV cupboard, and an extra blanket was provided in the wardrobe. People have said the rooms are ‘dated’. I don’t really agree with this and I think it is unfair. I thought the décor in my room was fine, classic rather than trendy, with nothing out of place, and everything was perfectly clean and tidy. To the picky people out there, yes, there were a few light stains on the wall where it had maybe been knocked or something, but I hardly noticed them. The bathroom was excellent and exceptionally clean. It had modern tiling, a bath and shower with excellent water pressure, heated towel rail, and some little freebies of shampoo, shower gel, soap, and shower cap (Who doesn’t love a free shower cap! Not me, that’s for sure! I was thrilled that they replenished the supplies the next day, so I got to take home two!). Again, for the very picky out there, there was a little bit of loose grout on three of the tiles, but again, hardly noticeable.
I only needed a wake-up call for one morning, and it came bang on time. I went down to the dining room for breakfast (however, you can order a continental breakfast to your room if you tell them, the night before). The dining room was nicely decorated and the waitress was really friendly and polite. As a very fussy eater, I thought that breakfast was good….not the best ever, but certainly not the worst. I had a hot breakfast one morning and a continental the next, I preferred the continental personally. The hot breakfast was good, and self-service, so you can have as much or as little as you like. The continental breakfast had a selection of fruits, yoghurts, meats, cheese, croissants, and mini-Danish pastries. There was also a selection of juices and tea and coffee. Some people on this site mention that they couldn’t get toast with their breakfast. I didn’t have toast but the waitress does come to your table to ask if you want it, or you can just ask the waitress for it. I think the hotel should put up a sign to tell people this, because obviously some people are incapable of asking a waitress for something and instead just moan about it later.
I would definitely recommend that the hotel put together an information pack for each room, or even just a poster on the door or a few flyers, detailing information about breakfast options, room service, the on-site bar and restaurants, and any other relevant information. I think this would be really helpful to customers.
All in all I really enjoyed my stay. I slept well in a comfortable, clean, quiet room, with a good breakfast, and very pleasant staff. I thought it was good value for the price I paid and would both stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!