“Is this the only good hotel in the area?” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Is this the only good hotel in the area?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had couple visits to Stoke on Trent and I have stayed in couple hotels around the area. I would rate this hotel as an average but I will choose to stay again as I haven't found a better hotel in this area yet. Sometimes it is a bit overpriced, plus you need to purchase internet if you want a wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Janey S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Lia J

Thank you taking the time to feedback about your stay. The team do work very hard to make a difference to the guest experience and I am appreciate that you have recognised this.

If you are a Elite member of IHG Rewards then WiFI is complimentary and from the 1st July 2014 WiFi will also be complimentary for our base members.

I am pleased that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Janey Sheehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Argyll
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The layout of this hotel is very confusing. On trying to find our room from reception we were going upstairs then downstairs then up again dragging and lifting our luggage behind us. No lift available at any point.

It's an average Holiday Inn, nothing special. As with other Holiday Inns, the choice at breakfast is superior to Holiday Inn Express but is not included in the price.

The plus point is its location for people travelling north or south on the M6 for an overnight stopover.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jerry_rugby

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your stay, as you say the hotel is conveniently located, just off the motorway, convenient for Alton Towers, Trentham Gardens and the Potteries.

I am very sorry that on this occasion your stay did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise for this. I will share your feedback with my Head Chef and my Operations Manager so they can investigate and take the appropriate action. The comfort and enjoyment of all our guests is very important to us and I am disappointed that the waiter did not deal with your comments as this is not to our normal standards of guest service. I will feedback your comments to my Operations Manager and we will ensure that all staff are retrained on handling guest feedback proactively.

I note your comments regarding some of the TV stations being unavailable, this was a result of the company amending the frequency that feed the HD stations. We are in the process of working with our suppliers to rectify the issue. Unfortunately this is beyond our control, however all of these stations were available on digital channels

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Conveniently located is a plus but it tends to go downhill after that. On arrival had to wait 5-10 mins for someone to deal with me. Could hear them talking in the back office (definitely not about work related issues). That sorted I went to the bar to order a snack, again waited. When the girl did appear she had to ask someone else if food was being served. Sandwich was ok but mushroom soup was so over seasoned with pepper you could not taste the mushroom. Told the waiter who said he would tell the chef!!! Room was ok but on 2nd & 3rd day items were not replenished (shampoo etc) and a number of tv channels although listed were not available. If you want wifi get the wallet out as there is no free wifi even in public areas. Make sure you take some cash as there is no ATM nor do they do cash back. The nearest ATM is a walk up the road about 5 minutes. If you are sharing and you want to charge to you room individually forget that as well. Every hinge had to be charged to one card and then on checking out you have to stand with the receptionist and go through the bill to separate what was charged and by who and then they will produce 2 bills to be charged to each individuals card - stupid and time consuming.

Breakfast is OK, plenty of choice but some of the food looks as though it was prepared the day before or not cooked properly (wrinkled sausages, black pudding only cooked on one side) and it appeared that they were put under hot lights and then just left for the whole of breakfast service, in fact I did not see anyone check them apart from taking away empty containers.

Not all staff were none customer focused and more bothered about their shift hours or what they had been doing, there were a couple who actually smiled and acknowledged customers but on a couple of occasions I witnessed slow or non existent customer service (at one point I saw a customer go to the bar to order and the member of staff ignored serving them because he was busy and left the bar leaving no one to serve).

If you want a well located holiday inn then this is the place for you but if you want a holiday inn with good service try a different holiday inn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear jerry_rugby

I am very sorry that on this occasion your stay did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise for this. I will share your feedback with my Head Chef and my Operations Manager so they can investigate. The comfort and enjoyment of all our guests is very important to us and I am disappointed that the waiter did not deal with your comments as this is not to our normal standards of guest service. I will feedback your comments to my Operations Manager and we will ensure that all staff are retrained on handling guest feedback pro-actively.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I can't think of anything positive to say about my stay. On several occasions I went to reception or the bar and found it unmanned for over five minutes at a time, if staff were there they preferred to talk carry on with whatever paperwork they were doing than help guests. My alarm call was significantly later than I requested and only happened on the first morning of my stay despite me saying I wanted a call each morning.
The mattress had a plastic cover underneath the sheet which made a noise every time I moved, it also meant I got sweaty in the night.
I ate in the restaurant in one night as part of a large group. My meal was mediocre but some people were served very small portions.
Wifi was £20.
I would not stay in this hotel or a Holiday Inn again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear Articulate A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed here as a stopover from a local friends party. Checked in with no fuss, but not the usual welcome from a Holiday Inn with myself not being recognized as a hotel member, and no extras offered. Hotel comes with a decent little spa that is free to use, and it does have a rather excellent steam room to clear out the cobwebs. The room, a standard double, was basic but cheerful, although based on the ground floor meant we were near the main road. It had what you expect, decent facilities and all you need with the en suite bathroom. The bed is very comfortable, with soft pillows, so you get a decent nights sleep. Shower is typical Holiday inn, really weak, but is at least hot. Cheap and easy hotel, ideal for stopovers and is only 30 mins drive from Alton towers, but cab distance from anywhere else of any note.

Room Tip: Book a standard room, all you need
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Janey S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Brad C

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your recent stay. I am very sorry that you were not recognised as one of our IHG Reward Members, this is disappointing as we work very hard to ensure that this does happen and I will be sharing your comments with my Front Office Manager.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the spa and the steam room and that you found the beds to be comfortable and had a good nights sleep.

As you mention we are conveniently located for Alton Towers and also The Potteries and Trentham Gardens and I hope that when you are next in the area we have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Congleton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I use this hotel for business meetings as it is conveniently placed. The place is always busy for this reason and the moans are always generally the same.

In the past I have been served raw chicken, had a slug crawling over my plate and waited an extreme amount of time for simple orders.

I have never felt too inclined to put my thoughts in writing as life is too short right?

Today is the time. Having been here for various meetings for a few hours I have so far ordered a coffee and received tea, a water and received Pepsi and finally ordered a lattè at 2.55pm. At 3.20 I got the waitresses attention and asked if the coffee would be long. She looked at me saying nothing then walked away. I didn't have a clue what her intentions were.......15 minutes later I attracted the attention of another waitress after she delivered tea to the table next to me-I told her the situation and again no words just a shrug and she walked away.

At 3.50 I noticed someone at the till point so again asked if I was going to receive my order. Thankfully this chap delivered the coffee although there was no apology.

Quite unbelievably shocking and I am astonished that a worldwide brand such as this allows such poor service.

I would suggest checking company policy on customer service training and check what the management are doing to ensure Customers get the service that the pricing structure should demand.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear RicosDad2611

Thank you for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I am very sorry that you had such a disappointing experience in the lounge. As you say the hotel is very conveniently located to the motorway and as such does get extremely busy, however this does not excuse the poor levels of service you received.

The service you experienced is most definitely not what we aim for and I would be grateful if you would contact me at the hotel in order that I may obtain some more information so I can address your comments directly with the relevant people.

Once again I offer my sincere apologies for the service you experienced and I thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and I do hope that you will come back when you are next in the area.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had a really nice overnight stay here. The location is really handy from the motorway and handy for visiting Trentham Estate, Gardens and Monkey Forest.
We arrived after a visit to Trentham Gardens where we had already eaten so can't comment on dinner. The receptionist was pleasant and booked us in quickly. We were upgraded as we are Gold members which was nice. The room and bathroom were nice and clean and although a long way from reception, not a problem. The room was nice and quiet and heating fine.
Our breakfast was really nice and service fine.
Check out in the morning took a little while as some guests had problems with their bill but these things happen. Would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Janey S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Sheils6

Thank you for your taking time to feedback about your stay, the whole team work really hard to ensure that every guest has a great stay and they will really appreciate your comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here at the Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent and that you would be happy to stay again.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Janey Sheehan

Been to Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6? Share your experiences!