“Shocking” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 58 Restaurants in Wetherby
Cuisines: English, Thai, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Andy Dawson at The Bay Horse, Kirk Deighton offers traditional, locally sourced food entwined with his passion for Asian cuisine. Andy has over ten years experience working all over the country in a variety of food houses and has widely traveled Asia; this allows him to create authentic, unique and fresh dishes. This passion and dedication has led to him creating a warm, friendly and lively atmosphere within The Bay Horse, allowing him to serve and produce food to an exceptional standard. This is combined with real ales, fine wines and wide selection of spirits and liqueurs.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Overpriced, overcooked, undersized portions. Food snobs only this one...have your tea before you go!
No heating, no fire, freezing. Slow service, complaints from every table! On a plus very good chips and onion rings but I don't think the chef is aiming for that !! Or maybe chef was on his day off...

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Wetherby
“fancy a pint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We popped in for a drink on a Sunday, the surroundings are nice, seems to be food on the right bar on the left.

I got the impression they are more geared up for serving people who have come for a sit down meal, than people who have just called in for a pint. Just not a bar set up for a drink only two hand pulled beers and one had run out, plus the hand pulled cider had run out, no nuts and only a few bags of crisp left.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We are locals who live in the village and have eaten at The Bay Horse before when it was good. However, Saturday 8th Dec was not a night to remember. I had booked a table two weeks previously as I anticipated it might be busy. When I booked no one explained that there was a Festive menu available. On Saturday morning we checked out the menus on line keen to explore what delights we had to look forward to, we discovered a festive menu and salivated as we chose our three courses. When we arrived we were handed menus the barman explained that the printer was running low on ink so it wasn't easy to read but he said you should be able to be able to make it out! As we sat down I asked my husband if he would ask for the festive menu he was told if you haven't booked from this menu you can't have it, nowhere on the website did it say you needed to do this, no one had told me I needed to do this when we booked. Nonetheless we chose from the main menu. The waitress started by taking away our side plates that were then returned by the barman with an explanation that "we are training new staff" he then proceeded to drop the plate onto the table with a load crash. Whilst there was chicken breast on the menu the waitress soon returned to say there was no chicken breast, this was 7pm on Saturday evening! When the meal arrived I had to save the hot dishes from landing on my knee as the waitress dropped the plate with several hot dishes onto the table and they slid towards me the evening was developing into a farce, not particularly relaxing. The venison and game pie didn't appear to have any game in but appeared to have two small pieces of chicken in, the menu had stated this meal came with mulled wine red cabbage but it didn't that was replaced by a small amount of diced potato and carrots. Whilst the pie was tasty it wasn't what my husband or father had expected. My husband ended his meal with apple crumble and a very very sweet custard, I chose the cheese. I chose four out of the six selections of cheese, guess what they had run out of wensleydale instead of offering me onw of the other two choices it was suggested that I "double up" on one of the other cheeses this was disappointing as prior to ordering my dessert I had asked if everything was available. When we came to pay we were asked if we had enjoyed our meal I said I was disappointed that there was no chicken at 7pm in the evening I was told they had had a very busy day and last week they had run out of fishcakes. I might have understood if we were eating at 9pm but a poor excuse at 7pm. When I commented on the fact that there was no indication of a need to book on the website for the festive menu I was told " we'll speak to our IT department about this". Needless to say we will not be going back in a hurry. We were not the only disappointed customers, the people on the next table left when they received their prawn cocktails without any sauce, when they mentioned this they were taken away and returned with a very bright red, might I suggest, tomato sauce clearly not acceptable at around £6 per portion.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“An excellent find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have visited this restaurant twice now. The first time was in June 2012 we found this pub by complete accident on Sunday lunchtime. We gave it a go and were really glad we did.The pub was quite busy and there was a friendly warm atmosphere. Although this was a flying visit, we were that impressed we popped the postcode in the sta nav and vowed to return next time.
We visited York/Harrogate for the last weekend of October. After a busy day shopping in York on the saturday we popped by again.

I went for the chicken club option, whilst my wife went for a seafood chowder. Yet again the food was excellent.Taste and presentation were first class. How do they cook those chips? One word amazing. It's the small things they do such as the complimentary mixed nut nibbles and the foccachia bread.
It was ashame as the pub was completely empty, although talking to staff they said they were full for Sunday Lunch the next day. Overall this place whilst lacking a little atmosphere the second time we visited, you cannot fault the quality of the food.

We will definitely be popping by again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
yorkshire, england
“Great Village pub, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was invited to attend a wedding at the Bay Horse, got to say what a wonderful experience, The atmosphere was great and the food some of the best Ive tasted the chef Anthony went out his way to make sure everything was right and the presentation was excellent. Even though the pub is out the way if you do not have a car I would visit again with friends.

• Visited November 2012