“Does the job, needs some attention though” 3 of 5 stars

Mercure Wetherby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leeds Road, Wetherby LS22 5HE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wetherby
Middlewich, United Kingdom
“Does the job, needs some attention though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here last week, fantastic location so handy for Wetherby and the motorways, the receptionist when we arrived was very pleasant and most other staff we saw, apart from when we went to breakfast on the 1st morning, there was a sign telling us to wait to be seated, we waited and no one came to seat us ( 2 staff stood talking ignoring us) so we just helped ourselves as got bored waiting.

Hotel interior needs some tlc as the room ( room 1004) had peeling wallpaper and the guide to the tv seemed to be stuck to the wall with chewing gum, also the japanese shower didn't work and also the flush on the toilet was broken and had obviously been broken before but we managed to fix this ourselves.

All in all a good stay but hotel needs some tlc, parking is also free as you get it validated if you are a guest.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am always grateful for feedback from our customers. I have passed your comments to my Maintenance Manager to complete any maintenance issues that are needed in the room. I was dissapointed to see that our breakfast staff had not provided you with the usual high standards we aim for, this is especially disappointing as we usually get very favourable comments about our staff and service. I have already implemented a review of all our training to make sure we remedy any shortfalls and I would like to thank you for bringing them to my attention. I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Wetherby hotel in the near future.

Mark Hoyland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Having spent a fabulous day at York Races, me and my wife arrived at the hotel in the early evening - tired, but in very good spirits. Plan was to go for dinner in Wetherby town centre at a favourite pub we knew as we had previously lived in the area. Having booked the room months before, you can imagine our disappointment and anger when the Duty Manager told us the hotel was full!!! When I explained that I had made the booking some months earlier he told us he was very sorry but the hotel was overbooked, though he said we would have been given a room if we had arrived earlier! (it was about 7:30 pm by then!) The only hotel available, we were told, was the Britannia at Seacroft, Leeds (part of the same chain I suppose). Now, if you don't know the area, Seacroft in Leeds is not the ideal place to go out for a peaceful evening stroll, especially after dark! So, it was either drive the 90 miles home or accept the alternative hotel in Leeds. I very reluctantly accepted the Britannia in Leeds, while the Duty Manager aplogised profusely and said the Mercure Operations Director would be contacting me personally in the next few days - so watch this space!! The Britannia reception told us that seven bookings had been transferred to Leeds from Wetherby that evening. By the way, our room in Leeds overlooked several blocks of council flats and Leeds ring road. Sorry Mercure, but you will never, ever, get the chance to spoil my evening again!

Room Tip: Find a local country pub!
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for your comments concerning the Mercure Wetherby Hotel and I would immediately like to apologise that we were not able to make a room available for you that evening.
It is never our intention to overbook at the hotel but unfortunately due to an error with our booking system it did happen on that night and I am genuinely sorry for the inconvenince this caused. I do believe we have already contacted you directly on this matter but if you would like to discuss it in more detail then please contact me on 08448159067 and please accept my apologies once again.

Merseyside UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My boyfriend & i stayed in Wetherby for a romantic weekend, we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who checked us in. The room was quite a distance from reception and bar, but we did ask for 1 of the 2 available smoking tooms in the Hotel, so no complaints.

The room was massive, big clean bed, extra pillows, not a great view(car park) BUT we we went out anyway. Iron, hairdryer, lovely big, deep bath with lost of hot water available right through the night.

We didnt have breakfast in the hotel as it is located minuites away from the centre of Wetherby so we went there in the moring to have a look around.

The bar is clean and welcoming, we chilled watching tv and had a few drinks in the evening. Overall a good stay, we would go back to to the same hotel or another one Mecure Hotel as we really enjoyed our stay.

NB. Parking is free, get your ticket validated when you check in for the length of your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I have have passed your comments to the whole team and we do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

On arrival all seemed good, our room was ready and we were handed an envelope with our name on containing the room card. It went downhill from there - on opening our room door it could only be described as a sauna as the curtains were open and the sun had been on the room all day. No temperature control or air conditioning and I'm guessing it was around 35 degrees in the room at the very least. We asked for a fan which they provided but not much help.

The 3 course dinner was awful - greasy soup or tinned tuna/mayonnaise mix. The main courses were even worse so we ate nothing eg dried up pasta or a mix of sausages, beans and mushrooms and that awful diced frozen mixed veg - we all agreed that the food was courtesy of 'mum went to Iceland'. My sweet described as a mouse was a very solid sort of angels delight served in a tea cup. Needless to say we skipped breakfast and went to Starbucks in york. I can't believe a hotel can serve such awful food and get away with it.

On a positive note, nice clean sheets and comfortable bed so I guess if you just want somewhere to put your head down it does the trick - eg stag weekend. Showers don't work very well though!

Will not be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a non south-facing room in the summer. eg non 231.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay with us. I am always delighted to listen to any comments from our customers so I can address any issues, where necessary, I have passed on your comments to my Head Chef, who I know is especially disappointed as he usually gets so many favourable comments from the guests but again is always happy to review and make changes where applicable. Thank you once again for your valuble review.

Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Tried to book an overnight stay to attend a party at the hotel but the booking system was ridiculous! Connected to a central reservations system (where in the world?) but the adviser could not understand English very well - insisted on taking our personal & banking details before confirming availability which we refused. We tried again the next day & eventually got someone to tell us that the hotel was full on the night but we could have a room if we booked for 2 nights!!!! We tried to contact the hotel directly but you are not able to do that. We decided to drive to the party & back instead but took an overnight bag just in case. We were informed on arrival that they were full but later, when talking to other guests, we learned that they had been so dissatisfied with their room (carpet soaked in urine) that they had eventually been moved after having a battle to persuade the staff that this was unacceptable! Apparently there were still available rooms!!! Anyway we were sad to have to leave the party early for the drive home but spent very little as this meant we did not have to pay for a room & thus the bar bill was virtually non-existant too - just as well as the prices for drinks were ridiculous! Shame because we stayed when Ramada Jarvis owned it & had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and I would immediately like to apologise for any shortcomings you may have experienced. Please be assured that you are able to contact all our hotels directly, the number of the Mercure Wetherby Hotel is 08448159067 and press 0 to speak to an operator, but if you would like to make a booking in the future then please dial the above number and ask to speak to my Operations Manager Dominic Biggin who would be happy to ensure you were looked after. I would also be grateful if you could pass these contact details onto your fellow guest and ask them to contact me, as we would take very seriously the issues that are alleged concerning the carpet and I have had no reports to verify it, so I would be extremely happy to talk in more detail to the guest. Thank you once again for your feedback.

General manager
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Came on the best weekend, glorious weather had the best time at the Races, but the hotel was excellent too.
It was extremely busy when we checked in but we were checked-in in no time at all. The room was a studio room, which was a lot bigger than what I expected as we only paid £49. The room was clean and had really crisp white bedsheets! It had a view over a field with loads of rabbits bouncing about which was fun.
We did not eat in the restaurant as the weather was too nice to eat in, but had breakfast the following day which was a buffet type, but was very nice and had a good selection.
All the staff who served were very friendly andhappy to help with anything. Did think the drinks in the bar were a bit pricey though. But would def come again.

Room Tip: Check out the rabbits in room 2008!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful comments concerning your stay. I was happy to see that the staff were helpful and attentive and that you enjoyed the high standards within your room. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Wetherby Hotel in the near future.

Lingfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were travelling with a tour group and arrived quite late, first up we had a twin room instead of a double as requested which was ok but the shower didn't work properly and the beds were old and i could feel the springs when i sat down, there was an odour coming from the shower also, so my husband asked if we could be moved, which we were to the far end of the hotel. This room was smaller and smelt musty but we were too tired to complain any further. The next day we heard of other problems our group had including broken showers room mix ups, one pair were sent to a room that was already occupied and so on. i would give this one a miss.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback, it is only through listening to our guests that we are able to maintain and improve the high standards we are continually seeking. When guests report any maintenance issue we immediately look to resolve it, so I would like to thank you once again for bringing it to my attention..

Mark Hoyland

Been to Mercure Wetherby? Share your experiences!