“Great Location, Friendly Staff, Requires renovation..... :-(” 3 of 5 stars

Mercure Wetherby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leeds Road, Wetherby LS22 5HE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wetherby
South Yorkshire
“Great Location, Friendly Staff, Requires renovation..... :-(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Great location for a hotel stay in Wetherby. The staff were really friendly and helpful. However the hotel is looking really tired and requires renovation. Our room was ok - we paid £53 for one nights stay. If I would have paid more than this then I would have been disappointed.

The bar is very expensive so I would avoid drinking in the hotel. We had breakfast which was sufficient.

All in all - A good hotel to stay if you drop on it for the right price. We only stayed one night so it was sufficient for this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear MrsAp,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I was delighted that you found our staff friendly and helpful and I will pass your kind comments onto them. I have also taken note of your other comments and have spoken to the relevant people to see where if necessary we can make improvements. Thank you once again for your review.

Mark Hoyland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
rochdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

On arrival we were shown to our room and my wife took a nap but was woken by when the central heating switched on. A problem with the inlet valve to the radiator was my guess because it issued a verry loud screem. We were moved to another slightly larger room. Three points to note on this room :- the light above the full length mirror did not work one light bulb above the sink was not working :- The hair drier stopped several times when I assume the temperature regulater cut in :- Wall paper is begining to peal away above the radiator.
I asked the recepionist to book me a taxi to visit the local town a journey of about 3 minutes the drver asked for £3.50 verry exorbatant hovever the return trip was dearer £3.80. Perhaps I should have asked before I traveled as to the cost. but it makes me think that someone is benifitting from this arrangement. I shall make further enquirees on this subject with trading standards.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gladismo,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Wetherby Hotel, I have already taken steps to resolve the issues you have raised, I am always grateful for any feedback as we are constantly trying to improve our services and standards to all guests. Thank you once again.

Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Wetherby Mercure provided clean standard rooms & excellent food all at reasonable prices. Good location for business meeting at Racecourse. If you intend travelling by train I recommend investing in taxi from Leeds rather than risking so called "local" station at Cattal. This proved to be miles away & NO taxis except by ringing mobile no. pinned to board. Return journey direct to Leeds saved at least 90minutes & only cost a few pounds extra taxi fare.

Room Tip: Avois CATTAL Station if travelling by Train.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Dear Bob B,

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to see that you enoyed your time with us. I have passed your comments onto the whole team. Thank you once again and I do hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Wetherby in the not too distant future.

Evesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a Friday night to attend a local function. Our welcome was good and as soon as they realised my wife had difficulty walking our booked room was changed to one very near to the lift. The room was comfortable and clean. We slept well.
All of the staff we met were helpful, efficient and attentive. We had a snack meal in the bar which was promptly delivered, well presented and tasty.
Breakfast, although a little expensive at £10.00 each, was good with a wide selection to eat. The queue for the one toaster was a bit much though and my wife was disappointed to find no hot chocolate to drink with her cereal.
Generally we were happy with our stay and would unhesitatingly stay there again. the very minor niggles were more than outweighed by the positives, especially the helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front may be noisier in the week so ask for the rear if you like quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BeemerBikerAbroad,

Thank you for your kind review and I was extremely pleased to see that you had a very enjoyable stay. We take all feedback positively and I have ensured that we now have a wider drinks selection for breakfast as well as improving the toasters. Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Mark Hoyland.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Went for a regimental reunion and dinner. When I walked in to the hotel it looked as if it could do with a make over, I understand this be happening in the near future, its being pulled down and a superstore built in its place.
We booked a twin room. It was small. The soap dish in the shower still had the remains of so soap in it and there was not enough towels, one hand and one bath towel, for two people.
The reunion meal was ok for the price and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was ok but only one toaster which was about the same size as the one I have at home. The plates were cold and and because of the time you waited for your eggs the rest of your breakfast had gone cold.
Ive been to worse. The place itself needs a revamp.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear Cliveburkinshaw,

Thank you for your comments and for the valuable feedback you have written concerning your stay. We are continually striving to improve the hotel standards and as such we have already taken steps to improve the efficiency of the toasters and I have also passed your comments to the housekeeping manager to make any changes where necessary.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope to see you return to the Mercure Wetherby sometime in the future.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed overnight to attend a Charity event in a nearby village. Booked last year when the reviews were generally very poor. I went with poor expectations however I was pleasently surprised.
I was allocated a studio room , which seems to be a larger room than normal.My friends were all in normal rooms which were average size. The decor in all rooms was very nice and the rooms were all very comfortable.
The staff were very helpful in explaining the procedure for the car parking and giving us details of check out and breakfast.
There was a late checkout on Sunday and breakfast was served until 11am. Wonderful!
The breakfast was of a good standard and was continually topped up on the buffet tables. We had been advised by reception that the service could be slower than normal that morning due to the hotel being full however the service was absolutely fine.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear mussgrove,

Thank you for your review, and I was delighted to see that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that our staff were very helpful and friendly and I shall pass all your comments to the whole team. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Wetherby very soon.

Mark Hoyland

Been to Mercure Wetherby? Share your experiences!