“Great Fish n Chips” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
“Great Fish n Chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Lovely fish and PERFECT chips. We were the only ones there as it was bang on midday on a cold Sunday, so atmosphere unfair to judge. Otherwise great. Portions good, batter lovely and puddings lovely. Not the cheapest, but best in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Sherborne, Dorset, UK
“Best Fish and Chips in Weymouth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Lovely fresh food, cooked to order and efficient staff. Fish n fritz is clean and appealing, no horrible deep fat fryer smells!
Gorgeous crispy batter and juicy white, chunky cod. Generous portions and delicious!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minehead, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Portion size was good but the Haddock did have small bones in it which put me off slightly.
The bread and butter portions were poor
The chips were warmed up and not cooked fresh which was disappointing.

Visited February 2013
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“Not too bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Overall not bad. The place was clean which was a plus. My kids said the fish was good, however the chips were not the best but they were ok. I had fish cakes and did not like them should have had the fish! The girl serving appeared to be doing everything not sure who else was working there? We were not offered the free dessert that came with the meal and I noticed another couple had theirs but only after asking for it. I would have asked but none of my party were up for dessert anyway.

London
“Inept service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Visited on a Saturday with my kids, and at 2pm it was practically deserted. Ordered an adult meal and asked for a child's portion of chips. Was told there were no child portions but I could order an adult portion for £3.50. OK, I'll have that. Waitress then said that a free 'top-up' portion of chips is available to those ordering an adult meal. "Fine, I'll have that, then", I responded.

"No", she said. "You have to eat at least half of yours first". I protested that I have two hungry kids in front of me, so given the circs., maybe she could 'advance' me the free portion. She said she couldn't, and if I wanted the chips now, I could have the £3.50 portion. Not wanting to prolong this surreal conversation any longer, I declined and gave my kids my chips.

This was beyond Fawlty-esque. It was weird and combative. The place was empty, and yet this inept and charmless waitress had no interest in seeing to it that we were looked after.

In the meantime, the fish was actually very good, but so is it in a great many other places, and I'll not be setting foot in this place again.

• Visited November 2012