“Customer service not a priority - unless you're a fisherman!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Anchorage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Weymouth
The Anchorage
7 The Esplanade, Weymouth DT4 8EB, England   |
Ranked #70 of 157 Weymouth B&B and Inns
London
“Customer service not a priority - unless you're a fisherman!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Ahead of a trip to Jersey, I decided to drive with my family to Weymouth the night before, since the ferry leaves at 8am.

We were somewhat limited in our choice of accommodation by the presence of our dog and were delighted to book to stay at the Anchorage.

Based just off the seafront and a stone's throw from the ferry terminal, the location was perfect.

However, I was slightly miffed when I booked to be told that even though we were paying for breakfast, we would not be able to have it because we were leaving early.

Tempted as I was to cancel the booking, I decided to keep it to save hassle when the male owner called up to check on our room booking. He confirmed that some fishermen were staying overnight and so we could have breakfast early after all.

Far be it from me to suggest that fishermen are not as important as us, but I did fail to see why the owners would only bother making a breakfast for us if fishermen were staying but not if they did not stay.

Needless to say, the hotel's website says that breakfast is only served from 8.30-9am. There is no mention that this changes if the fishermen stay. But they were still happy to charge us for breakfast - and the male owner did check to see if we had paid for room only or breakfast as well (we had paid for food).

When we arrived I asked about the parking permits, which the hotel's website say are free. The landlady told us it would be easier if we paid for it ourselves. Another let down.

The location was indeed great - and we looked out on the port from our room.

We weren't allowed to go for dinner and leave our well behaved dog in our room, which was annoying but I let that one go. We took her with us and found a restaurant with outside seating which actually said the dog could come inside.

What did infuriate all of us was the fact that we were told that the fishermen were no longer staying and so we could not have breakfast. There was no sense of apology or regret, just a tone of 'that's the way it is'. How to make a guest feel unimportant.

Annoyingly, a takeaway breakfast is available if requested in advance, which of course was impossible since we arrived on the understanding that breakfast would be made for us and were only told that the fishermen were not staying after all when we arrived.

Why promote yourselves on your site as being near the ferry with its early departure times if you can't be bothered to tend to your guests and make them a breakfast they have paid for?? I've stayed at a lot of hotels and they provide breakfast for guests whatever time they leave - and that goes for all the B&Bs I've chosen as well.

The beds were terrible and all of us noted that while the matresses seem not to have been replaced for years, even the frames creaked and rocked in a manner that meant the floor would have been a better option.

In this day and age, making an effort for customers, not changing your offer to them or charging for services you then do not provide is imperative.

I noted that almost all the other B&Bs (that's B for BREAKFAST!) were fully booked while the Anchorage was not.

I'm not surprised.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
WeymouthAnchorMan, Owner at The Anchorage, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
I would like to thank Mr Alexander for his contribution and review - however misguided. It appears his complete review is down to the fact that he never got a breakfast. He was told at the time of booking that we would not provide a breakfast as he was leaving too early, regardless of this fact he continued with his booking. He knew exactely what he was paying for!! Mr Alexander has been economical with his comments for example, when I called to confirm his room I mentioned there was a possibility that we would have some fishermen staying who may be havng an early breakfast and if this was the case he would be welcome to have one too, I did stress to him that this was not guaranteed and said he could have a packed lunch instead, which he declined. Again he accepted this. At no point did we check whether they had paid for breakfast or not, this seems to be an ad-hoc comment to his review - we know what all our guests pay for.

When dog owners book accommodation with us they are told they can not leave dogs in the rooms unattended at any time, not to let them on beds and to brush them down when they have been on the beach. This is so that other guests are not disturbed by dogs barking when left alone while owners go out. This is the first instance of guests leaving a dog on his own, all other dog owners who bring their dogs on holiday take them with them. Again this was something that was acknoledged on booking but subsequently ignored.

I think the mattresses are a matter of opinion and nobody has ever complained before, in fact everybody generally says how comfortable the beds are and what a good nights sleep they have had!

When Mr Alexander originally booked he was informed that we had a limited number of free parking permits available but that they are issued on a first come first served and if these were not available we did have concessionary tickets which cost £6.60 for 24 hours. As Mr Alexander had arrived late in the evening he was informed all the free tickets had already been issued and that it would infact be cheaper if he paid for overnight paking himself rather than buy a 24 hour permit as this would save him money.

To address his final comment about our booking status we only had a single room available and what Mr Alexander is not aware of is that it is common practice for owners to close their doors at a certain time, around the time he finally turned up, and turn their signs around to NO VACANCIES even if they have rooms.

Of course it would have been a far better option for Mr Alexander to voice his concerns whilst he was here, however, as I suspect all of his concerns stem from not getting a breakfast he was informed was not available due to his early departure, they are not valid or justified.

We are sorry that Mr Alexander never enjoyed his stay with us.

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The Anchorage is an excellent guest house in a perfect location, you can not find better in Weymouth. It is located right in front of the beach and directly opposite the harbour. We found the hosts, Diane and Michael to be very freindly and they could not have been more helpful. The room we had had a view over the beach and was lovely and clean, it smelt fresh and the bed linen was clean too. The common rooms were also clean and welcoming.

Breakfast was perfect and there was plenty of it.

All in all an excellent stay, we will be back and I would recommend The Anchorage to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kettering, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I have not stayed at a B&B for many years, having been seduced by the "charms" of budget hotels: places where you know what to expect and can usually park without problems or delays. But, like so many businesses that start off with bargain prices, the budgets are now getting more expensive,even in non-premium locations, and I have found the famous "£29 a night stay" to be as elusive as the Holy Grail.
After a meal in one of the excellent sea food restaurants and a few bevvies in the friendly local pubs in the charming port of Weymouth, the last thing you want is to have to drive back to accommodation on the outskirts of town. So it had to be a central B&B.
Well, they don't come with a better location than the Anchorage- literally a few yards from the colourful Harbour, right next to ample parking at the Pavilion Theatre, a short walk from the shops and enjoying great views of the magnificent bay.
Our twin room had a panoramic view of the Harbour, with a big 3- masted sailing ship moored directly in front of the large bay window where comfortable armchairs were provided. Add to this, en-suite, tea and coffee making facilities, comfortable supportive mattresses,efficient central heating, a very good Full English breakfast with, for once, excellent cafetiere coffee, and you have a great place to stay in Weymouth. And to get all this for only £32 per person per night is a true bargain.
Our hosts were charming, and the soul of honesty. On account of a misunderstanding I asked for a parking charge of £6 to be included in my payment debit. When returning the 24 hour parking pass, after checking out and putting our luggage in the car, I was called back from the street, handed £6 in cash, told that the pass was free and that my insistence on paying was mistaken. I have not met many business people who would have handled that situation in that manner. I would have been none the wiser had nothing been said ,so this small instance of outstanding honesty made a deep and favourable impression. If I ever return to Weymouth I know where I'll be staying.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010 via mobile

Excellent location, clean spacious rooms and a generally well maintained guesthouse. However I found the female owner to be rather rude.. Having paid for bed and breakfast, I wake up with a head cold and sore throat and decided it best to keep out if the dining room and skip breakfast.. As I apologised to the lady she began to lecture me that I should of told her the night before and did not want to hear reasons for missing breakfast.. I am a married man with children and don't appreciate being spoken to like a naughty child.. My crystal ball was obviously on the blink so I couldn't forsee my cold. Besides, I had paid for the meal so was my choice to eat or not! Even though it had not been cooked! The
Lady also enjoys slamming doors as you leave to reinforce her disapproval.. May have been a bad day for the lady concerned but still a disgraceful way to treat customers!! The hotel itself was nice, shame about the vile attitude

• Stayed September 2010
WeymouthAnchorMan, Owner at The Anchorage, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We are sorry to hear that this guest did not enjoy his stay. We try to be courteous to all guests and accept that if they do not want to enjoy breakfast in the morning it is there choice - we certainly do not chastise them for it!!! It is worth pointingout the the breakfast is complimentry and not paid for seperately. With regards to slamming the front door to make a point I would like to say that this is physically impossible as the door is on a self closure and you can not slam them shut - poetic licence!!!!
Derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We had a great time staying at the Anchorage. The hosts were lovely and we had a really warm and genuine welcome. The views from our room were fantastic. The room itself was very clean and spacious. They are well laid out with more than enough space to lounge about. The breakfast is excellent, far better than most other establishments we have stayed in in Weymouth. Not only is it a big full english but you can vary the menu to suit your needs. The dining room is spacious and has great views over Weymouth bay. The hosts, Michael and Diane, are very helpful and more than willing to accommodate your needs. Scrappy, their dog, is very friendly and even smiles at you!! It was a great pleasure to stay at The Anchorage, especially as we were able to take our small dog. We will definately be back and would highly recommend it to everyone. Thank you for a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Delightful hosts, great food, super place, lovely clean rooms with exceptional views. Very helpful and freindly hosts. Will definately be back and will recommend this B&B to everyone. An absolutely fantastic place and a really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Our stay at The Anchorage was booked as a surprise birthday present and we did not know what to expect. We were not dissappointed. The staff are very freindly and welcoming, the food is excellent and all the rooms were spotlessly clean and tidy. The beds were really comfortable and we had the best nights sleep in a long while. We would definately recommend staying here and our next visit will not be a surprise - we will book it ourselves.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Anchorage? Share your experiences!