“never again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Weymouth
The Berkeley Hotel
You added The Berkeley Hotel to your Saves list
127-129 The Esplanade, Weymouth DT4 7ET, England   |
Ranked #110 of 168 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Arrivied in Weymouth to beautiful sunshine, Weymouth beach is huge and lovely. Checked in at the Berkeley(box of a reception) Went to my room which was clean and bright, the hospitality tray didnt have a lot t0o offer and when i asked for more tea bags there was a charge of 5p per bag(same fore the milk!) never known this before at any hotel i have visited. and i travel somewhere most months.

Evening dinner was at a set time, the choice was limited, and what i had was good, but it wasn't a big portion, had to pre-order my breakfast for the following day!

Entertainment started late, hense therefore other guests had got up and left bored of waiting, when the entertainment started it was amongst the WORST i have EVER sat through,

The owner of the hotel/bingo caller/quiz master/chef whilst busy doing everything was very abrupt and unfriendly.

Breakfast- again very limited a good hotel if your on a diet

i would not reccomend this hotel at all, as a guest house yes, as a hotel, NO!

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
swansea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This was our second stay here and I had asked for a quiet room,front facing. Now I know that requests can never be guarenteed however next to reception overlooking the staff entrance and an undertakers which took "deliveries" throughoutbthe night wasn't quite what I was expecting for quietness.

The hotel was full with two coach parties so I know that no one had paid any supplements to upgrade to better rooms so we were very disapointed to be in the room with what I believe was possibly the smallest bathroom in the world and paper peeling off the walls (photos to follow)
The walls were paper thin and the rather elderly fellow guests had the worst maners I have ever come across.They seemed to think it quite acceptable to talk loudly at 2am then have arguments at 3am,move furniture at 4am and have the tv on at full blast at 5am!!!

Also the very strictly fixed meal times which last year we accepted, we now found far too restricting.We visited a nearby attraction by train and left there before 4pm to get the return train which was unfortunatly delayed due to debris on the track. It seemed we may arrive back at the hotel10 minutes late for the 6pm deadline for dinner!! My daughter was panickings so much she made herself sick with worry. I ended up paying £30 for a taxi just to get us to the hotel in time..

Next day we decided to forgo our dinner at the hotel and spend a most fantastic day at Abbotsbury, highly reccomended, to see the swannery, beautiful village and sub tropical gardens and childrens farm using the coast bus. Without having to keep looking at our watches we had a wonderful day enjoying a meal at the Swan pub in the evening and with a heavy heart returning to the grimness of the Berkeley.

Quite a lot of guests went out to other local hotels,The Royal and the Best Western to spend the evenings and other popular bars in the town.It is really lovely at the old harbour.For our next visit we will book the Premier Inn at least we will be assured of a decent nights sleep,not at 8.30am on the dot! !and breakfast when we decide to eat I couldn't stand the stress again

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Stayed for three nights recently as part of a Leisuretime (South Wales) tour group. This is a typical seaside hotel that caters for mostly pensioners and I found it, generally adequate for my needs. My single room had a comfortable bed, the bathroom area was quite small and the tea/coffee facilities not over generous! Have to say the meals were well cooked and delicious and the waiting staff friendly and helpful. The cabaret acts, although not to my taste, were of a better standard than those found in many similar hotels. Overall, staying at The Berkeley was a goodish, value for money experience and I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed May 2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Very impressed with this little gem! brilliant location right on the seafront and we had a sea view so that was a bonus. the food was great with good choices , you ordered your evening meal at breakfast so it was all ready almost as soon as you sat down in the dining room. We found the bar prices good , the entertainment was OK more for oldies but we discovered a good old traditional pub called The Sun Inn Kings Street with good entertainment on Sat night and sun afternoon .
Weymouth is alovely seaside town for all ages , nice shops and plenty of bars atea rooms and selection of restuarants , /we will go again for sure

• Stayed April 2010
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for Easter 2010. We found the hotel very friendly, clean, attractive with newly refurbished rooms.
Our room had a sea view and was very comfortable. The food in the hotel was exellent, there were enough choices and it was very well presented. There was entertainment every evening with a quiz and bingo, which was very popular, with our coach party. The prices in the bar were reasonable, not the usual high hotel prices.
The only criticism we had was that there was no quiet lounge, where you could take a drink from the bar, to sit for the evening.
We found the location on the sea front ideal, a short walk to the town centre.
All in all, this is an ideal hotel, for a weekend break or short holiday.

• Stayed April 2010
swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

After trying unsuccessfully to find any reviews of this little gem, I admit I did panic when all I could find were some newspaper stories of disgruntled pensioners staying here!!
My 13 year old daughter and I stayed here with a coach party of , I must say, mostly pensioners but I can only find words of praise.

The hotel is in a great location on the sea front at Weymouth, which really is an old fashioned British seaside resort. It is convenient to the train station from where we travelled 4 stops to Wool station and then a short taxi ride to the fantastic Monkey World.
The public transport is great and again local busses stop nearby and there is also the land train along the front which can take you in a few minutes to the Weymouth Sea Life Centre. Try and get some cut price entry tickets if you can as it is £17 entry .

Back to the hotel...I have not found another small family run hotel which is so well cared for. You would be very hard pressed to find a speck of dust or a chip out of any paintwork. The friendly owners really take pride in their hotel and can usually be found cooking or hosting the evening entertainment. This was normally a fun quiz, a short bingo session followed by a professional act in the lounge bar.We enjoyed the early evening entertainment, and believe me we never play bingo at home!!
All the staff were polite, friendly and proffesional, all smiling and generally happy which in itself is nothing short of a miracle in most British resorts. This must be a reflection of a good management team. The room was bright and comfortable.

The meal arrangements..... I am the first to admit I was a little taken back on arrival to find fixed meal times 6pm for Dinner and 8.30am for Breakfast. Meal choices also have to be ordered in advance. However, this system works like a dream! The food is hot, fresh and very tasty with no worries about anything in particular not being available . We soon got into the swing of things.

We were very lucky as the weather was sunny except for one afternoon of rain. There are plenty of shops and the whole resort is being spruced up as it is to be used as one of the main venues for the 2010 London Olympics. Should you be in need of some wet weather entertainment , venture to the old harbour and Brewers Quay. It is on the site of an old brewery and now home to a great selection of small shops and also the Time Walk which is a story of Weymouth's history told by walking through a series of historical scenes it was very enjoyable and we learnt a lot! The tour also takes you through the remains of the old brewery with a chance to taste some of the original ales brewed there. There are also plenty of cafes and small restaurants in and around the building.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our week , and found the locals very friendly and helpful especially as the Tourist Information Centre on the seafront seemed to keep some rather erratic opening hours.Local busses can also take you to nearby Abbottsbury village to the swannery, childrens farm and sub tropical gardens or to Lyme Regis or Poole.

Try a stay in Weymouth and indeed at the Berkeley, go with an open mind and you will be surprised how much you will enjoy a British break there. We would most certainly return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Berkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!