“Always been good, will be sadly missed” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Pickering, North Yorkshire
“Always been good, will be sadly missed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We have often used this Little Chef on our return from trips to relatives in Scotland, it provides a good stopping point about half-way back.
It is very small with only a dozen tables but the service has always been excellent and the food top notch for a Little Chef.
We called today and although not packed it had a steady trade handled by two staff who were polite and professional as they always are. Our food arrived quickly, had been freshly cooked and was very good.
The sad part is this Little Chef is one of those to be closed at the end of this month. A great pity.

• Visited January 2012

Carlisle
“Fab view, great food choices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

"Little Chef" - everyone knows the little Chef man (Charlie) and the red logo, you find them on the roadsides and are a welcome sight when feeling peckish on your journey.

The one we visited was situated on the A66 near Appleby, a really small restaurant, the smallest Little Chef I have ever been in to.

There only seemed to be two staff on, but the one that served us was superb, answering any questions we had and generally being smiley and happy - it makes such a difference when the staff are good.

Obviously you don't spend a lot of time in a Little Chef, nor do you generally go for romantic meals out, so the tables and chairs are not the comfiest in the world. Think canteen.

The menu has changed in the last year and I am sure the prices have dropped slightly. Loads of choice including Veggie options and Lighter Choices. .

I went for a Pesto and Mozzarella Burger - £6.99 A sweet potato, soya bean, mozzarella and pesto burger served in a soft roll with red onion marmalade and chips or jacket potato. (Without the onion marmalade)

It was absolutely delicious, one of the nicest, if not the nicest, Veggie burger I have ever had. Served in a lovely fresh bun with tasty chips.

Hubby had Classic Burger - £6.99. A 1/4 lb griddled premium British beef burger served in a soft roll with tangy relish, mixed leaves and tomato. Served with chips or jacket potato.

He said it was a delicious burger.

My friends both went for the Hunters Chicken - £7.99 A chicken breast marinated in BBQ spices, topped with a slice of Cheddar cheese and a rasher of back bacon. Served with chips or jacket potato and mixed leaves.

Both of them said it was really gorgeous, and perhaps strangely, it was agreed that this meal was one of the nicest we had had during our whole holiday away.

I have to add they do great breakfasts too - even veggie sausages!

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eat Yorkshire
“Better than other motorway service stations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Stopped off for a break and something to eat, the food freshly cooked to order and was nice and hot, unlike most motorway places.

The menu has changed and offers some interesting choices, our food was pretty good and we ended up having a reasonable apple pie.

The staff were great and very friendly

Would definitely stop here again and would even alter our drive if we knew we had to stop for something to eat rather than any motorway place.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Magnificent View and location; good friendly service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I wouldn't normally review a Little Chef, as they are rather ubiquitous and underwhelming. However what attracted me to this one on the A66 eastbound near Appleby is the location and views. I was just admiring the wonderful views over the Westmorland countryside and thinking where to stop when the Little Chef appeared on the crest of the hill. It is located so that it as window tables looking out over the vista. It seemed worth stopping, even if only for a coffee.

Actually, as it turned out we had lunch. The staff were most friendly and welcoming, and this was confirmed by the service award certificates on the walls. I really felt welcomed and able to chat about the menu, the view and the weather.

The menus at Little Chef have been changeable recently, as they attempt to attract more visitors back to their tables. I could see no obvious sign of Heston Blumenthal's influence on the menu here but was attracted by two new items. Vegetarian Mushroom and Pepper Suet Pudding caught my eye first! How can you have a vegetarian Suet Pudding as Suet is specifically beef fat; I suppose its like having vegetarian Haggis, being a close facsimile using other ingredients. It turned out to be very good and tasty, and I much enjoyed it. Others in my party eat gluten free, and there is less choice available, but adequate accommodation.

For dessert I noticed Rice Pudding made with risotto style rice. Nice, but I felt not quite the appeal of the vegetarian pudding.

The view from the window was spectacular, but equally I'm sure it is very bleak here in the winter.

I have attached a couple of photos so you can check out the view for yourself.