“Excellent all round” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Fish & Chips, Seafood, British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Rural Fish and Chip Shop in Middleton in Teesdale, only 5 minutes drive from the famous "High Force" situated in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Summer Opening Hours: Mon: (Bank Holidays only 12:00 - 18:00) Tue, Wed, Thu: 11:30 - 14:00, 16:00 - 20:00 Fri: 11:30 - 20:30 Sat: 11:30 - 14:00, 16:00 - 20:00 Sun: 12:00 - 18:00
“Excellent all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I called here on Good Friday, I've never seen this shop so busy. Yes we did have to queue and it took about 30 mins which I didn't think was that bad considering it was so busy, the lady said it was their busiest day of the year and apologised for the wait. I didn't mind as I was on holiday and wasn't in a rush to eat quickly. I have waited longer in the ones in Whitby. ( I don't think the previous comment is fair considering). I had regular fish and chip and mushy peas. I can honestly say they are the best I have ever eaten, the batter was light and crispy the fish was white and flakey the chips were golden and crisp and the peas amazing.
I will definitely return to this little Dales gem with my family.
I took a homemade stake pie home as a treat for the hubby which he loved he said he's never tasted pastry like it. The people and the food here are great ! See you again soon!

Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
“Average Product - Very Slow Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stopped in here after visiting the pub across the road. We were passing through so wanted to eat quickly. There was a long line of people, and they did come and ask what our order was while we were in the queue. Why, I don't know, because it was still 30 minutes before we were served.

The food was OK, but nothing special.

If the shop is empty, and you are hungry, then I guess it would be OK. Other than that I can't see why I would stop in again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
David A, Owner at Middleton In Teesdale Fish and Chip Shop, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
Please accept my apologies for not responding earlier, suffice to say we have been extremely busy.

I'm really sorry you had to wait to be served on Good Friday, you are quite right, there was a long queue from opening to closing and we served on average 1.89 meals per minute, which some may consider quick service, even for 'fast food'.

We always cook to order to ensure the food is fresh and hot, hence we take the order in advance to reduce the waiting time. We will never please all of the people all of the time and I'm sorry you were disappointed. I do recall you amended your order when you reached the service point and to prevent any delay we complied with your requirements and even though your final purchase exceeded the original order, you were not charged for the increase.

Although you rated our fish and chips as average I'm pleased to say you are in the minority. You may on reflection, assimilate why there was a queue despite the rapid service - we are a small but very busy shop. Fortunately most of our customers like fresh cod in home made beer batter with locally sourced potatoes, peeled and chipped daily on site therefore we have a very loyal customer base. One mans meat is another mans poison and I can only apologise that our Fish and Chips did not appeal to your palette.

Should you get the opportunity to call in again, it may be worth trying one our homemade pies, they too are very popular, with local residents and visitors alike.

I hope the rest of your journey was enjoyable.

Regards
David
Billingham, United Kingdom
“1st class meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

we always call here when we are in the area, called on good Friday, fish was absolutely beautiful, took home some home made pies and very nice they were. will keep calling, keep up the good work.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wow, what a lovely review you left for us.

Really pleased you enjoyed your pies. You didn't mention having to queue for long. We were really busy that day and we did have a poor review on TA, so it was very comforting to read your post.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon - maybe you would be kind enough to introduce yourself/ yourselves.

Best regards

David & Lydia
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Lovely Good Friday Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

After a walk at High Force we were really ready for these lovely fish and chips. As there were 9 of us this was a big order but the staff were really efficient. Really crispy batter and juicy fish with tasty chips. A very happy family on a lovely sunny day out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you Parktop for your kind comments. It was great to see you all.
Taken me ages to reply so please accept my apologies... soon be Christmas X
Ashington, England, United Kingdom
“well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

home made steak pies were very nice , and very filling after a days walking . haddock done in beer batter well worth a try too . place was spotless too

Visited April 2014
Hi Ashley

Glad you enjoyed both the steak pie and the haddock.

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner, we have had a really busy summer, everyone out and about visiting High Force and enjoying the lovely weather.

I hope everything is well with you and look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Kind regards