“Romantic and cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
York, United Kingdom
“Romantic and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table in the bar on a Saturday night. We was sat opporsite the fire and the whole place was warm, cozy and romantic with lots of candles dotted about.

We liked the menus on the blackboards and the informal approach.

The food was very good, but in my opinion too salty.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Vegetarians avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We'd heard good things about the Wellington, and so stopped by for lunch on the way to York.

The service and the pub itself were fine but the dishes suitable for vegetarians ran to 4 items - a pea soup, a cheese sandwich, a salad, and a filo parcel of roast veg. I appreciate that it's a traditional pub that caters largely to traditional tastes but even by that measure, and in comparison with other country pubs in the area, one specific vegetarian dish is pretty feeble.

I had a feta and olive salad - okay as a salad goes but tiny, and sparsely populated with actual feta and olives, and poor value at £7. The filo parcel was inoffensive.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Le Tatre, France
“A very satisfactory Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I arrived at 12:00 and there were already quite a number of people either seated or queuing at the bar to get a table. The lady behind the bar seemed slightly bemused that I was eating by myself but quickly found me a table and a menu and was able to check that my choice of menu was not conflicting with my serious allergy.. A young man served me at the table and was most attentive to my needs.

I chose the rabbit, leek and bacon pudding as a starter and, often unwisely in Yorkshire, the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for the main course. There was a very large sign on my table saying that it had to be vacated by 1:30 and I was, slightly, worried by the length of time the starter took to arrive. I have to say that I thought this was the best part of the meal. The rabbit was well cooked and the whole combination made a simply excellent starter. My only 'gripe' would be that it was decorated with a 'sprig' of parsley. Parsley is a very strong flavour which, unless pushed to the side completely over-powers the delicate flavour of the rabbit. I was worried that the beef might take as long to arrive on my table but it quickly arrived and was steaming hot! Ordering beef in Yorkshire is often dangerous - it comes frazzled to death and tasting of boot leather! This beef was served rare and, whilst it wasn't the best flavour I have ever tasted was of good quality. The Yorkshire pudding was well made but the potatoes were flavourless and lacking in seasoning and the accompanying vegetables well under-cooked - the broccoli was raw! The gravy was served in a separate jug, was hot but was a little 'bisto' like!!

It sounds as if I didn't enjoy it - it was very satisfactory - for Sunday lunch! Had I been entertaining friend in the evening or paying more than the c.£20 the meal cost then some of it would have gone back to the kitchen! But it has to be said it was infinitely better than other places I have eaten and at a reasonably price..

The owners were quick efficient, polite and, clearly realising that I was not from 'those parts' wished me a safe journey for which I thank them.

All-in-all - not exceptional by any means - but very satisfactory!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kingston upon Hull
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Visited for lunch with friends and I am so impressed, my calves liver was superb, an excellent menu, fabulous staff and great food.
One of my pet hates is staff coming and asking if everything is alright, this never happened, hoorah!
This pub has got it right in every respect.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We had Sunday lunch here today. Very good menu including three roasts, three fish dishes and a vegetarian option. The Roast Beef was excellent with al dente vegetables, roast and new potatoes and a superb Yorkshire Pudding. others had the plaice and a multi fish Thermidor which they really enjoyed. My partner said the plaice was just "melt in the mouth". We had been told that the portions were large so had avoided the starters. My mother asked for an 'old persons portion' and that was no problem to them. The puddings were equally good. Textures of Rhubarb included a brûlée, stewed pieces and a crumble; I enjoyed a selection of 5 excellent and varied cheeses and I finished off my mum's meringue (with sloe gin, raspberries and cream) which was lovely. Good selection of beers and wines. Main and pudding averaged around £20 per head. This is very much a pub rather than a restaurant and I had to order our meals at the bar (even with a reserved table). Very friendly staff and quite laid back service so no rush with the meal (I suppose if you were In a hurry you may think the service rather slow) which was good on a Sunday afternoon. Seriously considering going back in a couple of months with a family group for my 60th birthday. Booking recommended and take your time over the meal. Surroundings pleasant enough, quite a it of space, and they turned the music down when asked to do so by those on the neighbouring table. Hard to fault the place.