“Beakfast in the bar” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Driffield B&B and Inns
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Beakfast in the bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

If you are shopping on a Saturday Morning in Driffield, just walk a little way out of town, you won't be disapointed.
Huge breakfasts are served until noon, then they become part of the lunch menu, they consist of good quality ingreedients and the atmosphere is much more pleasant than the chain pub down the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Two of us needed to crash out and get cleaned up and have a meal after a long day, and this was the only b and b with vacancies. The lady who checked us in was great,( a potential manager in the making) but the landlord has very little inter personal skills, so please beware all would be guests, he must have had a bad day,however everyone we met elsewhere was very nice. It was only £32.50 a night, the rooms were clean, and fit for purpose, albiet have been refurbished on a tight budget!!!. The noise from the bar will irritate you until early hours if you intend to have an early night, and the walls are paper thin, read into this what you may!!. Advice here is to pack ear plugs. The breakfast in the morning is huge, and great quality, but it need not be this large, im sure it puts people off, but again some may want it like this. Best attritribute of this hotel is that its only 100 metres away from Wetherspoons, where theres great food at great prices.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the church next door, ding dong all night
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Pickering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion recently and attended a 60th birthday party. The entertainment was marvellous. We stayed in the bar most of the night and found the bar staff very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wimborne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Aty a charge of £30 for the nigt including breakfast you cannot expect a great deal! Travelling on my own I am not too fussy and it was a cheap stay. However if I was on a leisure break or with my wife i would not choose this place.

The shower did not work so I took a bath instead. It was one of those showers that was impossible to control the temperature, and flowed at a dribble. A loose toilet seat must have been obvious and is not difficult to fix.

Noise from the bar is to be expected, and the church is quite obvious!

I dont think the landlord is very interested in customer satisfaction, the lady who checked me in was very pleasant and helpful.

Booking your breakfast the night before is not to everyone's taste, and it was the worst cup of tea I have ever had.

But it ws only £30............

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
wolverhampton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My father in law booked this hotel for us as we were staying in driffield for a funeral. We arrived a few days earlier than the funeral so we could sort out the house and arrangements. There was a large party of us booked in to stay here. We checked in and went out for dinner at a local restaurant. We came back before closing time to make sure we booked in for breakfast only to be told they were not serving breakfast because of a kitchen refurb instead we had £5 per person per night off our room so we could go elsewhere for breakfast. We went to the weatherspoons and had THE best breakfast we ever had!! There had been no mention of this refurb online and certainly no contact made to tell us of this as this may have altered our plans.

When we got back in the evening we spoke to a nice bar maid who sorted out the breakfast incident. Then we got confronted by a man who was the landlord. I have never met a more rude and arrogant man in my life. The hotel had made a mess of the bookings blaming their new online system. They had double booked a room leaving one of our guests without a room for the second night. The man became very aggressive stating he tried to get in touch with us however this was not the case.He had also put the number under my booking therefore confusing everyone on who was where. Someone had made a mess when we checked in and put me in the wrong room. He then said I didnt have a bed for the second night. Luckily I am organised and produced a piece of paper stating I was booked in for two nights. It came down to the staff not being able to distinguish between 3 rooms under the same name (we booked the rooms as a large party). He made no sense, slurring his words and constantly repeating himself. No matter how we tried to explain to him the mess that had been made he constantly kept repeating himself over and over with the same thing!! We then worked out the mess was due to a member of staff putting me in the wrong room so I swapped rooms. We decided to leave things as they were retire to our rooms after we sorted out the mess. A relative went back downstairs after the argument to try and smooth things over.He tried talking to the barmaid who we believe to be the manager. She was calm and understanding however the landlord decided to speak to my relative and kept repeating the things he had previously told us. My relative said to him that he wanted to talk to the barmaid as she seemed to be making more coherent sense. He took offence and this and it led to a further argument with the landlord stomping off in a mood and calling my relative some very rude and unjust names that I could hear from my room upstairs!!! The landlord was clearly intoxicated. I know they need downtime but to be so inebriated that he offended his guests and drove them out of the hotel the next day is completely uncalled for!If this is how he behaves with all his guests then I would not stay here again!

When I was in my room I was happy with the decor, it was clean looking and well decorated. However on further inspection I was mortified to see mould growing around the windows, the bathroom had mould all around the window sills, the shower curtain was covered in mould and when i looked up at the ceiling there were mushrooms growing out of it!!! There next morning i daren't use the shower properly and ended up washing my hair over the bath and having a sink wash! The glasses in the bathroom were also grimy and had a nasty ring in the bottom of them! The toilet roll holder kept falling off. (I Have pictures of all this and will be posting them when I get home.)

The downside to my room (room 1) was it was also overlooking the church, every hour it chimed the number of the hour which kept me awake. Not to mention the argument that had happened that night which left me feeling very vunerable and insecure. I had to lock myself in my room and i barely slept with worry from any backlash.

I also woke up with a rash across my chest and spent most of the night wheezing. It was to do with the washing powder they had washed the bedding it. I believe it to be biological washing powder. The bedding smelt very strongly of this washing powder and there was no way I was able to get away from the smell! This meant I had a horrid rash and no sleep for my grandma's funeral the next day!! I suggest you use sensitive non bio washing powder in future that doesnt smell as potent as you never know what guests will be allergic to!

The next morning we got up and my father in law enquired at another hotel down the road for rooms and we decided to check out! When we went to check out and settle the bill the landlord was not up (at 11am) and was not likely to be up for some time according to the lady we spoke to. We handed her the keys and as my father in law had already paid enough money to cover the rooms for the nights we left.

This is by far THE worst inn I have ever stayed in! The booking system is a shambles and the landlord is rude and who doesnt know the meaning of customer hospitality. If you cannot find the positive attitude that comes with running a hotel then I suggest you do not run one! It was a sham and we shan't be coming back again and I would advise people to look a different b and b's or hotels in driffield!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011 via mobile

I recently stayed over at the red lion whilst working away and I was dissapointed.lovely rooms great bar with plenty of selection,the food wasn't bad atall and was very well priced (the breakfast is unbelievable).the owners are a great couple and make you feel very welcome. However the breakfast one morning was totally forgotten about but we stayed there a few weeks and that was the only slip up so I put that down to a simple mistake. Will happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2011
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011 via mobile

Stunning size breakfast and evening hospitality.

Location is perfect for this Market Town's centre.

Will be using again.

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Red Lion? Share your experiences!