“Good, but not spectacular” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mariners Bar & Restaurant

Mariners Bar & Restaurant
4 Cooper Street, Bideford EX39 2DA, England (Formerly Lathwells)
+44 (0)1237 476447
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 110 Restaurants in Bideford
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mariners (Formally Lathwells) is a Grade Two listed historic building in one of Bideford's oldest streets. The building dates back to the 1700's. History tells us it has been a Mariners house, an Inn, a sowing school, a private house and now a restaurant. Lathwells is small, intimate and relaxing. The table is yours for the evening. Our food is cooked from fresh to order. We pride ourselves on seasonal fish and meat from the Bay Area as far as possible. Our menu changes often with specials featuring on a daily basis. We look forward to meeting you. Booking is strongly advisable to secure a table.
Ancona, Italy
1,059 reviews 1,059 reviews
1,105 helpful votes 1,105 helpful votes
“Good, but not spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Good (fish pie, summer pudding), but somehow not quite as good as I'd expected when people said it was the best in Bideford, especially for fish. Prices on the high side, decent waitress, interior a bit pokey. Good house wine.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Great Torrington, United Kingdom
“Pleasant setting, friendly staff, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Lathwells is one of the best restaurants in North Devon. The decor and table presentaion is very attractive and sets the tone for a relaxing meal. The staff are friendly and helpful. Altogether a great atmosphere. There is an excellent menu....the most exacting challenge is just deciding what to choose from a delightful menu. For starters, we plumped for the tiger prawns (pan friend in garlic butter) and the fish tartlets stuffed with three types of fish in a white wine, chees and parsley sauce. The marinated duck looked equally attractive and will no doubt feature in a future choice when we return. The choice of main courses was even more difficult - stuffed seared chicken breast and Venison Wellington were our eventual selections served with an enjoyable range of vegetables including creamed cabbage, braised carrots and courgettes, cous-cous and peas. The vegetables were nicely cooked and presented - making a very pleasant change from some of the under cooked cuisine that so often is served up because it is seen as being fashionable. The proportions are nicely balance - enough to satisfy in terms of both quantity and quality - leaving enough room to try the dessert course (which we might normally ignore). The home made rasberry cheescake was the best I have tasted for some time and the excellent coffee to finish rounded the meal and entire evening off nicely. We cannot wait to have the opportunity of a return visit knowing there is another enjoyable evening ahead.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bideford, United Kingdom
“The service could be much better but food very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I ate here a couple of weeks ago, choosing it at random as our usual restaurant in Bideford had closed down. The menu was small but interesting enough to make us go inside.

The service was very average although the lady serving tried her best to be friendly and helpful. We watched her serve a table near us with their main course but she then proceeded to chat with the chef and a visitor whilst this couple waited patiently for their vegetables. After nearly 10 minutes they asked for their veg and it was served with apologies. Not good.

Neither of us wanted a starter but we were offered some olives which my husband likes. When I turned my nose up I was asked if i would like some of their homemade bread. I did and it was served sliced and still warm. The bread, and real butter, were delicious, the best bread i have had for a LONG time. I commented on it to the waitress and she told me how the chef makes it fresh every day using the long rise german method (the dough is raised slowly in the fridge overnight which develops the flavour). Lovely.

I chose a venison wellington (I had not been asked how I would like the meat to be cooked). The meat was delicious and just how I like it (a bit rare). My husband had fish pie that was adequate. Our veg was served shortly after the mains. The veg consisted of some carrots, some red cabbage, some leeks (all overcooked and a bit pulpy) and, strangely, cous cous. Since when did cous cous become a vegetable?? Our mains came with potatoes so the cous cous was just a silly attempt at being "european" or modern. We left it.

The house red wine, which I had by the glass as my husband was driving, was delicious and reasonably priced.

All in all it was a nice meal and we will probably go back but it was a bit pricey for a midweek meal. Our one course meal with the nibbles starters, 2 glasses of red, came to over £40.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food, huge portions, great value...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Loved this place, the food was amazing and the portions were gigantic! I ordered the seafood tartlet as a starter, I was given 2 tarts and they were extremely tasty....as a main I ordered the slow cooked beef stew which was also delicious and I could barely finish it there was so much. The prices are affordable and the quality is excellent, highly recommend you visit :)

Visited April 2012
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Absolutely fantastic food! A treat for us, a bit more expensive than what we would normally choose, but totally worth it. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Make sure you book first though.

Visited June 2012