“Lovely Country Pub” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
UK
“Lovely Country Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

On tripadvisor recommendations we visited this pub when staying at the Bideford Bay Holiday Park. It's only a 10 min drive (narrow lanes though) and well worth the visit. Food was all freshly cooked and delicious with none of the pre portioned rubbish you get at the larger pubs these days. They have a great choice of real ale on offer and the staff were very welcoming. I'm back down to Devon in a few weeks and will be paying another visit. Highly recommended if you enjoy the unspoilt little country pubs which are hide in our unspoilt villages.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“BEST SUNDAY LUNCH IN DEVON!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited yesterday for another fabulous Sunday Lunch, and it was as delicious as the last time (not too long ago!).

Housed in a thatched 13th century cottage (well it's two really) Bemas, open fire if you are lucky.

It's always my first point of call on a whistlestop trip from London to North Devon to see my family - and I now have the number in my contacts list so that I can book a table - they get really busy and it's always advisable to book in advance - you certainly don't want to be left out!
(I have turned up there on the off chance and have got a little table too).

It's just about £8.50 for an incredible Sunday lunch - they always have local beef and one other meat - when you phone to book your table they will tell you what joints they are roasting this week. (they have great veggie options too).

When I travel from to Devon and have the luxury of a few extra days and I'm looking for a really lovely, cosy friendly place for a bite to eat with my mom then I just call up my favourite place and pop along in the evenings when it is just a busy and food is incredible! All local produce, and good value - fab wine list (pinot rose for me!) and good ales too if that takes your fancy.

It's everything a proper village/country pub shoud be - and if they've had the same fab chef cooking for over thirty years it must be doing someting right I say.

Next time you are in the area, it is definately worth making the trip to Parkham and visit The Bell inn - I promise you, you won't be disapointed.

Thanks to Rachael and all the fabulous staff - such nice people!

PS - Easily reached in a cab from Bideford if you don't drive! (about 6 miles)

• Visited March 2013
Braunton, United Kingdom
“A gem of a pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here for Sunday lunch with a party of 18 (it's advisable to book in advance for Sunday). We were seated in a separate room just off the main bar. It was a bitterly cold day outside but the warmth from the log burner in our dining room was wonderful. We had ordered our main courses in advance but were most impressed even so that they were all delivered together. The meat was plentiful, delicious and tender and the selection of vegetables was good although a little short on portion size per person. There were 9 home-made desserts to choose from plus ice creams and cheese and biscuits. The Mississippi Mud Pie was delicious and was presented with a beautiful garnish of strawberry, blueberries and icing sugar dusting. The value for money is very good and the menu has lots of delicious home cooked dishes to choose from with plenty of interesting ingredients - not your standard pub menus! The staff were very friendly and the thatched pub offers a warm welcome to locals and tourists alike. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Real character and quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

To be honest it is reasonable to expect good food in Devon but character pubs can be a mixed bag in the north of the county at least. However, I commend the Bell Inn for being characterful not twee, having lovely welcoming staff and a nice buzz with friendly customers too. And most important of all the menu is great and the food so good you keep going even when you really are full. There are lots of daily specials on a very clear board which you can read from your table (well we could) and plenty of fish options. Actually I had chicken breast with Devon blue cheese and crispy bacon and potato slices (similar to potato boulanger) and vegetables. It was all beautifully cooked and very tasty and not at all pretentious. Overall having dined well in quite a few places in the area The Bell exceeded my expectations.

The food is clearly important at The Bell and so as they say, they don't rush it out to you and they don't rush you out at the end either but it is not slow either so in good company this is a great place to come to eat.

• Visited December 2012
Devon
“Perfect village pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I love the Bell Inn, I have never had a bad meal there, it is certainly worth the drive out to Parkham. Its low ceilings and wooden beams give it a wonderful atmosphere and the menu is imaginative and the food good.

• Visited September 2012