“Perfect stop with warm welcome after a long day.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hoops Inn

You added Hoops Inn to your Saves list
Hoops Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Horns Cross | near Clovelly, Bideford EX39 5DL, England   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Bideford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Perfect stop with warm welcome after a long day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

After a long trying day in bideford & hartland finishing late myself & my colleague stopped for a bite to eat. I had ham, egg & chips & my colleague had a veggie burger we both said it was the best we'd had, lovely wine great service, friendly staff. Such a cosy little find will def be back go again when passing. Thankyou

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Penzance, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Myself and my husband had a much needed break here over the August Bank Holiday. The building is beautiful and soaked in history. The staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble and my request for the 'snug' table in the restaurant window was honored even though it was a busy night and I would have understood if they'd been unable to reserve a specific table. There was the occasional mishap but the staff were so lovely that it was not a problem, and actually made the place seem even more personal to us. The bathroom could do with some attention but we slept soundly and every meal in the restaurant, including breakfast, was superb. The manager (a Scottish man whose name escapes me now!) was very good at spotting any problems and kept a good eye on his staff. The Hoops Inn is not The Ritz, but you wouldn't want it to be. Two other highlights: the butterflies enjoying the flowers on the approach to the entrance and the North Devon Mini car procession that we were able to wave to thanks to a friendly member of staff who informed us the exact time they would be coming through Clovelly. It made our day!

Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at The Hoops Inn for one night on our way to Cornwall. Our room was a superior with a canopied bed and a Jacuzzi Bath, for the price we paid we thought it was lovely. We ate in the bar and I have to say the food is really really good. Though they were really busy with bank holiday tourists and also a private function we did not have to wait too long at all for our meals. Breakfast was a quite affair and I have to say the dining room did lack a bit of atmosphere but that did not detract from the quality of the food. I would definitely stay here again.

Herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went here for a meal on the last night of a holiday with my daughter and I'd have to say that the experience was very 50/50.
The place and gardens are lovely and the drink was good and reasonably priced, the food though was a different story.
My burger was very good, but the chips looked as though they'd come from a bag. My daughter had sausage and mash. She said that the sausages tasted like a superman value range, the mash was cold and that she struggled to find any onion in the onion gravy. I also saw other people send dishes back to the kitchen.
Staff were friendly, but were very busy. We waited just under an hour for our food, and other had waited as long too.
We went on a recommendation and were disappointed. Things may change as, apparently, it was taken over 3 weeks ago and they are trying to bring it back up to its previous quality. Hopefully this will work as the potentially for this place is huge.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I called at the “Hoops” after a long drive from London. I was ready for good food and copious amounts of refreshment after a tedious journey from Kent. Weather at the time of arrival was awful. The “Hoops “Is situated on a tight blind corner on a busy road so take good care on access and egress. Passing through an archway and up into the spacious car park. On entering the small established courtyard walk way and into an open style hallway I was immediately impressed with the ambiance of the establishment. It seemed like there was a labyrinth of small rooms off a sparsely staffed bar. Patiently I waited as a man I presumed to be in a managerial position was attempting to ascertain the plan layout of the seating arrangements to his last seated customer. I waited and watched as his waitress explained again the “Top room on the left”. At this point they both walked away from the bar leaving me waiting a further space of time for my thirst to be quenched. As a rule I would have cracked on out of there and back on the road, but I was with family and the next nearest pub was a good half hour away. So captive I became and waited for service. The lady who served me eventually was apologetic for my length of wait and I expressed my understanding of the situation. The beer I chose was excellent. A strong local brew, obviously the cellar was impeccably kept. We ordered food. The wait was lengthy, too long to be honest: over an hour without explanation. We had to ask for an ETA which itself is embarrassing. My Fish and Chips arrived. Hot fresh and perfectly cooked. Worth the wait? In my opinion no! Perfect chips! Absolutely perfect. Fresh crisp beer batter. Alas in my opinion not worth the wait. I felt like a captive audience. I found out that the establishment was in its infancy! If that is fact I do not know. What I do know is it is very important for them to realise very quickly that the customer satisfaction is paramount to the success and growth of their business. Junior staff in my opinion where excellent. Maybe they where part of the previous failed operation. I also would advise anyone before ordering food to check out the goods. I overheard a guy complain that his meal although full of taste was minuet in proportion to his partners meal. Witnessing him finish it in a few mouthfuls leaving his wife with a massive serving of muscles to eat. Its just things you see. On the whole an experience that cost me a lot of money. I ate and drank well but memorable for being what could be best explained as being treated like the tourist I was.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a two night break here early spring and whilst the room was very basic (bathroom was lovely though and obviously very new with nice walk in shower) the staff, food and general atmosphere made it. Dinner in the restaurant is highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We founds the Hoops Inn on an internet search looking for somewhere different and maybe a little remote. The web site was crisp with plenty of images to support their claims. A very pretty 800 year old coaching Inn with a thatched roof.

We had room 4 with a stunning 4 poster bed with a comfortable mattress and a great ensuit bathroom that has a "jaccusi" bath and good shower. Loads of character in the hotel and staff were very helpful. We ate in the hotel restaurant the first evening and the food was good and priced reasonably. Breakfasts were equally well prepared and quality good.

This part of North Devon is lovely as it is slightly remote and not crammed with hundreds of tourists, we did a fair amount of exploring and discovered some local gems Instow being one with a wonderful seafood restaurant.

Would we return to the Hoops? Absolutely a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the "Thatched rooms"