“Traditional and Reliable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bideford
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Traditional and Reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This large hotel obviously appeals to the more mature guest and when we stayed there was large contingent of seniors in evidence.

The hotel is large and has heavy wood panelling throughout. The prices for food and drinks are reasonable and the guest is not called upon to pay grossly inflated prices as is so often the case in this type of establishment.

The hotel clearly caters for people who are keen ironers. Our room had an iron and full size ironing board in the wardrobe. In the event that further ironing facilities were required there was another half-size board affixed to the wall just outside our room complete with wall mounted iron.

There are lifts in the building although they are very slow – in fact ours took so long to ascend two floors we thought that it had broken down. We realised afterward that this is probably to allow time for the occupants to iron a shirt or two between floors (despite no on-board ironing equipment being evident).

The staff were helpful although several of them do not have English as a first language. Our dinner and our breakfast were both very good and nicely served.

Despite the Eastern European influences the hotel has quintessential Englishness and offers a comfortable stay at reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Gillingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here on business in March 2013, so this review is written in retrospect.

My collection was that the hotel was clean, and reasonably priced. It was March, so I wasn't expecting it to be buzzing, and there were a lot of OAPs here.

The hotel offered (for a charge) a packed lunch service, which was okay.

The restaurant was okay. It doesn't stand out in my mind one way or another.

The hotel is located a little way out of town, and as it was March and cold, I didn't venture into the town itself.

I did walk a short way to a local pub and enjoyed a pint.

I wouldn't not stay here again, but I wouldn't rush back either!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay with GB tours, Hotel welcoming, friendly and food top notch. Our room 153 was fantastic, Huge wooden carved 4 poster bed, 2 person Jacuzzi, couch, fridge etc, felt really spoilt. Bar prices reasonable all in all good value. Will definately go back for the Jacuzzi. Brilliant place.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a Jacuzzi, well worth it.
neath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights weekend break at the Durrant House Hotel in Bideford.Went with GB Tours.Hit the jackpot with the room,king size four poster bed,an electric fire place with living flame effect and blown hot air heating and a two person jaccuzi bath The bath had water jets and air jets.Word of warning,don,t put radox in the bath water and switch on the air jets,there was foam everywhere.Food and service was excellent and the Hotel was very nicely decorated with a large car park if you go by car.

Room Tip: room 119 has the jaccuzi
Newbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

On arriving at the hotel (after a 3 hour drive) there was no booking made for us even though we had a confirmation letter. I understand that mistakes happen however we were made to feel like we were in the wrong - I can only describe the man on reception as rude! Not once were we offered an apology, he answered the phone whilst dealing with us, he disappeared 3 times to go and speak to his manager - Surely the manager should have come and spoken to us?? Eventually we got a room, we were told it overlooked 'the river' - it actually overlooked the car park!! On the way to the room, I was carrying some bags and a cleaner was in front of me - she opened the door and let go of it so it closed in my face.

We went out for the day as we didn't want to spend anytime in the hotel after the way we had been treated. That evening we ate at a restaurant in Bideford, we got chatting to the waitress and she asked where we were staying - my reply was 'don't ask' to which she replied 'oh that must be durrant house then!!' It would appear that the problems we encountered are normal and happens quite a lot so I am surprised that there are not more poor reviews on here.

When we went back in the evening we bought a drink in the bar, when we went back for a second round it was dearer, when I questioned the bar man he said ' that is the price' 'you should have paid more last time' in quite a rude and aggressive manner. by this time I had had enough and went to reception to complain. Kate ( who I believe is new there) was very helpful and moved me and my husband to a slightly better room.

This break was supposed to be relaxing as my Husband had a heart attack 8 weeks ago and we wanted to enjoy a night away together - This hotel ruined that. If by writing this review I can stop somebody else from the hellish experience we had then it was worth the time and effort.

somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel, the room was small but had everything required to make our stay comfortable, room included hairdryer, TV with freeview, tea/coffee making facilities, fan. The bathroom was very modern with comfortable towels and lots of hot water, large shower head over bath. The resturant, and bar area was very nice, and the food was very good at a reasonable price too. Our service was excellant at all times. Only problem we experienced was we did not get the wakeup calls we asked for, but as a second backup I had set my phone alarm, I did tell them at reception and they said it must have been a fault of the machine. I would definately be happy to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you need lots of space room 215 was very small, but comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
devon england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very reasonably priced, with a good specials menu with lots of choice, great kids menu, very nice staff would really recommend for a nice evening that won't break the bank. I would book though as it can be very busy at times. The 7.50 special menu of main course and sweet can even be had in the main restuarant

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Durrant House? Share your experiences!