“AMAZING WEDDING VENUE!!! ignore any negatives!!1” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhinefield House

You added Rhinefield House to your Saves list
Rhinefield House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rhinefield Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“AMAZING WEDDING VENUE!!! ignore any negatives!!1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We can't recommend this place highly enough. We had our wedding here in February. My wife and our girls stayed in an executive suite the night before and treated themselves to a jaccuzi & steam. On the day the hotel went to enormous lengths to help make our wedding the perfect day. We upgraded our wedding night room to the walker suite which was one of the most amazing rooms we have ever stayed in. It was so good that we are already booking it for our aniversary next year. We were initially concerned that the ceremony room looked dark but on the day but once they had dressed it for the wedding with the white chair covers and purple sating bows it looked light, airy and gorgeous. The same room was used for the ceremony and the wedding breakfast and the turnaround was very efficiently handled while we had photographs in the amazing grounds. They tailored the menu to our needs and when we couldnt decide between two AMAZING desserts they obligingly produced a dish which was half of each for us. All of our guests loved the food and they catered for a range of needs from gluten free to Halal meat. Our photographer was 'spoilt for good locations' around the venue and the official pictures look like a magazine shoot. They even turned the fountains and lights outside back on at 11:30pm so we could use it to get more photos! The grounds are incredible and the staff were polite, helpful and caring.

If you are going to get married, call them and ask for Katie, she was brilliant and worked hard to make sure we got the day we wanted.

Room Tip: They are all good, but the walker suite is worth the price over all others!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Tig W
Thank you for your amazing feedback about your Wedding day. The whole team are over the moon that you enjoyed it so much and we can’t wait to see some photos of the day. We are all looking forward to welcoming you and the family back to Rhinefield.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was going to hold off on this until I heard back from the management (I filled in one of their comment cards when we checked out) but two months on, I'm still waiting, so:

Our stay at the Rhinefield was a series of little disappointments. The lovely scenery that the hotel is set in was often undone by the most mundane of things. There were bottles of cleaning fluid left by a path in the hotel garden, laundry bins were left outside morning, noon and night, a giant room service trolley was left in a stairwell on an emergency exit route (which I found rather alarming) and on a stroll in the woods by the hotel, we found a bizarre bus shelter littered with fag ends. Nice.

Our room was a disappointment. Having forked out more than £200 per night for an executive room, it was disappointing to find it was only a slightly larger version of any Holiday Inn room, anywhere in the world (Wardrobe on left, Bathroom on right, bed straight ahead). The Walls were ridiculously thin, I got to hear my neighbours having sex, arguing, telling jokes and making phonecalls. I could also hear everyone who walked down the corridor past my door. The large bath detailed on their website is in fact a normal bath. There was a TV in our bathroom, which would be great for fans of BBC1, but as this was the only channel available, perhaps unsuitable to anyone else.

The main TV was a nice big Plasma, but the picture was very poor (the fault of the signal feed in, as opposed to the TV). The view from the window was of the New Forest, and nice enough (although marred a little by a wire fence going round the property), and I was unable to get any internet connection whatsoever, which brings me to the staff.

If you want a bottle of water brought to your room, or a new towel, then the staff will be prompt and all smiles. Anything more challenging than this, and you’ll find that you have very few friends at the reception desk. I informed the lady behind reception that the internet was not working in our room a couple of hours after we checked in. Her response was that “it usually works”, and felt that the matter was now closed to her satisfaction. Her colleague, Christian (who was actually a decent guy) realised that this wasn’t quite the assistance I was looking for and stepped in. The maintenance team had left for the day, and Christian could only offer to swap my cable – but I already knew this was not the issue as I always make a habit of bringing my own and it hadn’t worked either.

I didn’t hear anything more until about 1pm the next day, when Rod the maintenance manager turned up. Fair play to him, because he was running up and down for nearly 2 hours trying to get me set up - but ultimately the fault was elsewhere. He put me in touch with the IT desk (some call centre, who knows where) and they said they would call back. No one called. It's not like the wi-fi signal issue was a massive deal (there was working wi-fi in the lounge) but it was just so typical of our room and the hotel in general. You are paying a lot of money, but getting the bare minimum in return.

The Spa was decidedly unimpressive, looking more like a Doctor’s waiting room than a place to relax, the pool was the size of a (genuinely) large bath and the treatments were as expensive as a clinic in Chelsea or Kensington, but administered by a YTS girl.

Suckers for punishment, we ate from the A la Carte menu the one night we did eat here. To sum up, it was £200 of ok.

But it’s not all grumbles! I thought the Breakfast (in choice and taste) was excellent. (Even here though, Rhinefield seems to be the only hotel in the New Forest that struggles to get hold of Black Pudding....)

I made it clear quite how thoroughly disappointed I was as I checked out - facing a bill of £700 for a pretty duff couple of nights, I was hoping to get a little bit knocked off the bill even though I couldn’t quite bring myself to ask outright, but the previously smiley receptionist just looked back at me blankly. Eventually the silence was broken, the receptionist uselessly assuring me that she would get the internet problems fixed. Not really an issue, as I will never be coming back here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear DodieDen
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was sorry that we did not have the opportunity to discuss your comments when you checked out in January. I would be very happy to discuss them with you at any time if you would like to call. I will most certainly work through your detailed critique with the team to see where we can improve.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My sister in law and I were looking forward to an afternoon spent at the Spa of this wonderful hotel. Stunning surroundings and impressive hotel. The spa on the other hand was cold, dirty and consisted of a sauna which was out of order, a swimming pool which was being filled..all afternoon, a cold jacuzzi and a dirty steam room with sticky tape over the emergency button. Many lights around the pool and jacuzzi weren't working making it now cold, dirty and dingy.
Would not advise. The afternoon tea was good though but the spa ruined the visit for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kate
I was sorry to learn that your Spa day had not been successful in February. I know that we did have problems with our air and temperature equipment that day and that we have been working on improvements since you were here. I was pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

After reading many negative reviews my husband and I were very apprehensive about our one night stay. We had nothing to worry about though. Check in was quick and simple, room was clean, tidy and warm, staff were attentive and polite, food was very good and our overall experience was lovely. We are very well travelled and in our opinion Rhinefield is as good as any other hotel we've stayed in. (we usually stay in 4* or 5*) We spent most of our time in the lounge area due to the fact we were so relaxed and felt right at home especially as we sat in front of the fire sipping on our favourite tipples. In the evening we chose to dine at the grill restaurant which is located in what can only be described as a large conservatory (that we thought would be cold) but don't be disheartened by this as the food was excellent and it wasn't cold like people have suggested in previous reviews. We read about the limitations on wifi service and yes it's true, you don't get a signal anywhere in the hotel other than the lounge and even then it's limited but so what?... what do you expect when you're in the middle of a forest in an old manor house?! We were overjoyed to escape the rat race for a night and enjoy the wonderful tranquil setting of this hotel. We took a stroll around the grounds and My one and only criticism is that I wish it had been summer when we stayed because I would have loved to have seen the gardens in full bloom and to have possibly killed a few hours around the outdoor pool! To all staff at Rhinefield, thank you for a lovely relaxing stay and we very much look forward to enjoying it all over again in the very near future!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Kaybee88
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor. I was so pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us here at Rhinefield and had felt so relaxed in the Lounge.
Ringwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After a wedding service where the food was very good we then experienced the room quality and service - which was atrocious. Unable to sleep due to a noisy air conditioner - at 3am we finally tried to call reception (no response). Then on deciding that we might as well go home as it was impossible to get to sleep we went to settle our bill. We eventually found the overnight staff who were Eastern European. Their lack of language skills and condescending attitude was astonishing. They were extremely rude - not exactly what you need at 3am. Even dealing with the management on the following day proved very unsatisfactory. We missed the breakfast with friends and family and I have no desire to repeat the experience at Rhinefield House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Sean B
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was very sorry to learn that our air-conditioning unit kept you awake. As we have already spoken about this matter it is now fixed and I have already discussed your concerns with the team here at Rhinefield. I was glad that you had enjoyed the food that was served at the wedding you attended.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A special birthday lunch for two was a very disappointing experience. Poor reception service; no chance to relax in lounge area to view menu and have a drink; taken straight to Grill room - no atmosphere; funereal music; wrong menu presented...we overheard chef having words with waiter. My reply to my letter of complaint was explained as being 'a blip in service'! More than one blip in my opinion!

Room Tip: Not recommended for a special lunchtime meal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your Trip Advisor posting. I was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed our informal Grill Room on your recent visit. I will discuss your comments with the team to see if there is anything we can improve on.
winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed overnight on a 'package' including dinner and breakfast. Nice location, although may be a little remote for some. Accommodation was in the new 'executive' wing, rooms very well equipped, especially liked the wet TV in the bathroom. Ate in the a la carte restaurant and food was of excellent quality, although a bit disappointed with the menu which was quite a limited selection. Would probable eat in the grill if returned, for this reason. Nice wine list and pretty reasonable for a hotel of this type. Only things that made me rate this down one notch are: (1) no wifi in the rooms, as you can imagine phone reception is limited so no 3G (2) some of the public areas in the lounge are a bit dated (3) the piped music in the lounge and at dinner was a bit bizarre. Overall still very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive posting on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are always trying to find ways to improve Wi-Fi in the Forest and we are definitely taking a look at the music.

Been to Rhinefield House? Share your experiences!