“Disappointed lunch time experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rhinefield House

Save Saved
You added Rhinefield House to your Saves list
Rhinefield House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rhinefield Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Brockenhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed lunch time experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A special birthday lunch for two was a very disappointing experience. Poor reception service; no chance to relax in lounge area to view menu and have a drink; taken straight to Grill room - no atmosphere; funereal music; wrong menu presented...we overheard chef having words with waiter. My reply to my letter of complaint was explained as being 'a blip in service'! More than one blip in my opinion!

Room Tip: Not recommended for a special lunchtime meal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your Trip Advisor posting. I was sorry to read that you had not enjoyed our informal Grill Room on your recent visit. I will discuss your comments with the team to see if there is anything we can improve on.

1,007 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed overnight on a 'package' including dinner and breakfast. Nice location, although may be a little remote for some. Accommodation was in the new 'executive' wing, rooms very well equipped, especially liked the wet TV in the bathroom. Ate in the a la carte restaurant and food was of excellent quality, although a bit disappointed with the menu which was quite a limited selection. Would probable eat in the grill if returned, for this reason. Nice wine list and pretty reasonable for a hotel of this type. Only things that made me rate this down one notch are: (1) no wifi in the rooms, as you can imagine phone reception is limited so no 3G (2) some of the public areas in the lounge are a bit dated (3) the piped music in the lounge and at dinner was a bit bizarre. Overall still very good.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive posting on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are always trying to find ways to improve Wi-Fi in the Forest and we are definitely taking a look at the music.
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

First impression are very good the house looks splendid at a glance, nice surroundings,good location & courteous reception staff.not the same for the lounge bar staff,too many dirty tables around, we had to ask our to be wiped quickly before our food arrived, it was not busy,chef could have picked out the floppy & old salad leaves if cared enough and the sandwich would have been ok ( ok at £8.50. ??).
Although the public rooms may have looked grand it all seamed very tired & uncared for,like the gardens dead plant that should have been replaced years ago perhaps.
The room was in good shape, we were upgraded to an executive room because our reservation could not be found at checking time so the staff quickly put that right, thank God or really it wouldn't been worth the money paid.
Breakfast was good with efficient staff & good food.
Could I recommend it to my friends???

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your balanced review that you posted on Trip Advisor. We will be sure to look into the bits that we did not get right and I will certainly pass on the praise to the team for all the bits we did get right.
New forest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is located in wonderland forest setting, in a stone manor house. The bedrooms are very pleasant, although mine had no real view.The dinning hall was also very good, and the service was excellent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I shall be sure to pass on your praise to the teams in the kitchen and the restaurant.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I first drove up our first impression was Superb!! And then it fell apart...Amidst one of the most splendid settings imaginable lies a gem that has been left to fend for itself. On the outside all was well, especially for the time of year...but inside I found the service, the general maintenace of the building and the spa very depressing and not worth a fraction of the money. First off no concierge to help with bags...secondly, if you dont have a main hotel room and are in the 'wings'...then you have to travel thru a labrynth of twists and turns to reach your room. Room was clean but Grubby...everything tired and worn out or awkward to operate. Staff were un-attentive...spent my time in the lounge breaking my neck trying to get a waiters attention...not good and not relaxing. A great wedding venue you might think but if you are not a wedding guest it would seem pre-booking the fine-dining restaurant must be done weeks in advance of your stay as I was turned away...yes all dressed up with nowhere to go but the well overpriced Grill room (sorry cold conservatory). I have one of those at home!
But the spa is where they really let themselves down. Poorly informed staff, impossible to get a massage or facial therapy without prior booking, the spa was awfull, the pool COLD, the Jacuzzi COLD, No Sauna, and get this I was told I needed a £1 coin for the locker (no, not a token) so had to travel all the way back to the other side of the hotel to retrieve £2!...moronic in my book. The showers were, to my standards, discusting. a truly awful experience. So, to the Breakfast. It was superb, fine cutlery, napkins and china...in a beautiful grand dining hall....look closer? this is one of the Grubbiest places ive ever eaten. I dared not drop a fork! Im sorry to have to say the Graded listing of the property probably prohibits a lot of remedial work but the lack of investment here for its star rating beggars belief. What could be is not folks...perhaps in summer the House will have a mellow glow but in the winter Nothing is what it seems. My advice....just say no thanks until someone in its managaement decides to invest and heavily. And how likely is that...?

Room Tip: You must VIEW before you book I'm afraid ...I didnt have the choice to change as Hotel was fully...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brad C
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor and your detailed critique of Rhinefield. Please be assured that we have taken on board all of your comments and will use them to ever improve our guest journey and levels of service.
Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I took my wife to the Rhinefield for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday.

On the positive side, the hotel is an impressive building and looks very stately in its setting on a rise in the New Forest. It gives a very olde-worlde cosy feel. The staff were mainly very polite, enthusiastic and helpful. The dinner that we enjoyed served in the Armada Restaurant within the hotel was superb, cooked to perfection and overall very enjoyable. Afternoon tea was equally enjoyable although at £18 per head, that should be expected.

As you may gather from the rating that I have bestowed, I did have some major issues that the above could simply not overcome. I won't list them all but will summarise the ones that I think may be most important to other guests.

Beware that if you intend to make use of the spa facilities, they don't hold any bookings back for guests. My wife and I arrived at around half past two on a Saturday afternoon. I wished to treat my wife to some spa treatments for her birthday. We were told that there was no availability at all between arrival and us leaving on the Monday afternoon. This pandering to outside visitors became a theme throughout: we found we were unable to get a table in either the grill restaurant or the Armada Restaurant on the Saturday night. Beware that room service ends at 2130h. And the hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

On the subject of food, let me mention the restaurant. My wife and I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. On the first morning, being the Saturday, we went down for breakfast and were allocated a table in the room adjacent to the Alhambra Room (the latter, incidentally, being a very beautiful room). The table was adjacent to a heater, which was on full blast. That made the experience slightly uncomfortable but is not my main gripe. Service was S-L-O-W. We both ordered full English breakfasts. When they came, the waiter asked if we would like any condiments and my wife asked for some tomato sauce. We're still awaiting that. The breakfast is poor. The sausage is very meaty but it is not an enjoyable experience - it is simply too rich and meaty. I suspect they have gone for a gourmet sausage but the result is unexpected and, in my view, unpleasant. The bacon is cut too thick and the scrambled eggs were disgusting. I ordered fried eggs the following morning and they weren't too bad. My wife, though, ordered poached eggs and asked for them to be well done. She is pregnant, so this was important to her. The eggs were very runny and she couldn't eat them. We could picture a chef thinking "The eggs will be done the way I cook them" and sending them out regardless. Well done, chef. Thanks.

Turning to the room, as we stayed on a Saturday and Sunday nights, two different room rates applied. The rate for the Saturday night was £220. I have attached a couple of photos of the bathroom. This was not a £220 per night room. The bathroom had a leak, some mouldy patches, a cheap, nasty toilet with an ill-fitting seat and a poorly placed mirror. The sleeping are was posh B&B. No air conditioning either - we were advised to open the window if it got too hot. If you are allocated the Tiptoe room, ask for something else.

The car park is a bit of a trek from the main building. I don't mind the distance so much (the staff offer help with baggage if you want it) but the car park is muddy if the weather is wet. It also seems to get very full as they hosted a wedding each day we were there. Just a thought.

Oh, and check your bill carefully in the restaurant as they have a funny pricing system that can add a wacking percentage uplift to your total. And the outdoor pool isn't open in March...

Anyway, I will summarise by saying by all means, go for afternoon tea, but don't waste your money staying over.

Room Tip: Don't choose Tiptoe! I'd ask if there are any quiet rooms as there are a lot of weddings go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I will certainly look into our Breakfast offering and the bathroom of the room you stayed in. We do advise through our confirmations that bookings of both Spa and Dinning are essential to make before arriving at the Hotel as they are both very popular at Rhinefield.
Thank you for your kind words about the staff and the quality of the dinner you had in the Armada Restaurant. I will be sure to pass this on to the Team.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I visited this beautiful hotel briefly in the hope of experiencing a 5* spa after a difficult day. I arrived and was impressed at the gorgeous surroundings, gardens and house. I'm sure it's a fabulous wedding venue (for photographs) however, I was quite disappointed - the spa just isn't 5* as I'd expected. The staff are lovely and really helpful however, the spa facilities are run down and not too clean. The changing rooms were dirty and two showers aged, the sauna and steam room weren't working and the jacuzzi wasn't great, limited bubbles and again, not the cleanest. I had hoped to have a treatment when I arrived but none were available, after using the facilities, I'm kind of pleased I didn't!
My husband and I got married in a handpicked hotel in Yorkshire and everything about it was fab even the spa! I hope that Rhinefield House is planning improvements for its future spa clients.... but I won't be going back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
I was sorry to read on your recent posting that you had not enjoyed our Spa facilities. I will certainly have a good look at your comments and take any remedial action that is necessary.

Been to Rhinefield House? Share your experiences!