“Not for rugby players!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rhinefield House

Save Saved
You added Rhinefield House to your Saves list
Rhinefield House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rhinefield Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Brockenhurst
Dorset
“Not for rugby players!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I wanted a hotel in the New Forest with spa facilities as a birthday treat for mum so chose this hotel as it was recommended in a well-known magazine. On arrival I asked the friendly receptionist to contact the spa and book a treatment, and she was happy to do so, saying they would call me back. However having been away from the room, about an hour before the time we requested, I checked with a different (and more sullen) receptionist if it was booked, who said they couldn’t do it from there and would have to enquire myself (!!). So I duly went down the 30-odd steps to the spa but no-one was there. I returned later about 20 mins before the treatment was due to start and was told nothing had been booked. I was surprised, but this was probably for the best considering that when I asked if there was a lift down to the area for my disabled mother, she said no (about half the steps are steep and narrow and would have been too much for arthritic knees). I later saw an outside entrance for guests with mobility issues, but wasn’t told about this, and don’t think it looked practical anyway.

I just re-read the hotel’s accessibility webpage and I think it’s a tad misleading. It mentions 3 lifts: one from the description I take to be a stannah-type affair down a short flight to the lounge bar, and there was a wheelchair ramp down another. I didn’t notice any others however, and certainly not the conventional type. There are also around 25 steps (albeit shallow) up our suite, the Munro, to which the receptionist confirmed there was no lift: my fault I guess; I’ll be sure to ask specific questions before booking next time.

Similarly, we saw one loo halfway between reception and the Lounge bar, which was reserved for disabled guests. A sign on the door said others should use those by main reception, though we didn’t see any, or signs for any either. Perhaps they were in the cloak room – if so this was down another steep flight of steps!

Our room was nice – it’s the mullioned bay over reception on the front – but I would struggle to call it a suite: 2 small tub chairs squeezed in the bay behind the dressing table (from which a large TV pops up at the press of a button). The bed was large and comfortable, and a there was a good choice of teas and coffees. An original stone & wood fireplace was in the corner and there was panelling around and above, but that was the only antique/original piece of furniture I could see. The bathroom was lovely and modern: big with a huge sink, recessed bath, and large shower with side jets. Bathrobes were provided but if you are on the chunkier side I recommend you bring your own! The bedroom (if not the bathroom) was warm and quiet at night though I heard people above moving about the next morning; could even hear their touch tone phone.

The hotel itself is typically late Victorian gothic – dark and heavy in places with requisite creaky floorboards; more airy Edwardian in others, and of course with modern extensions. There are also numerous timeshare apartments. Afternoon teas are served in the Lounge Bar: quite Corporate looking but comfortable with nice views over an ornamental pond. The girl behind the bar was polite but struggled to understand English and got the order wrong. Afternoon tea was nice: finger sandwiches, small (if dry) scones with jam and cream and a few petit fours. It was filling and we both felt this was better value than the 3 course meal that evening: nouvelle cuisine which however beautifully presented and served, if put together on one plate would struggle to make a single meal (it didn’t come with vegetables for instance) – definitely not one for rugby players! Breakfast was better value and I can recommend the vegetarian platter.

We had a few strolls around the garden. We stayed in February so it was quite bare, but the views were nice and the aspect over the rear garden is definitely better. Sadly we didn’t see any wildlife like other reviewers, just a few birds. Perhaps a walk through the forest would be required, as might a longer summer break. I also like the idea of archery or horse riding which the hotel can help arrange, but this stay was too short for that.

To sum up, it was a nice place and I would recommend it, but maybe better for explorers or those happy to sit back and do nothing rather than those with mobility issues or wish to be active on site.

Finally, beware the Forest rangers on the narrow bumpy drive up through the forest approach: they travel in packs, at speed, and don’t give way!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I will certainly look into your comments with regard to mobility and access on the site. Thank you for your kind words about the staff and I will be sure to pass them on.

970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel is in a fantastic location and the building and the grounds are delightful. The meeting room was well appointed and spacious. There was a problem with the projector but this was soon fixed when pointed out. The food was excellent although the wine was priced on the high side I felt. The leisure facilities were good but the pool rather small. I can imagine in summer the grounds would be stunning. At the right price I would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear MT
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. We often get over looked as a venue for a great meeting but we do have a great facility for just that and I am very pleased you had chance to enjoy your time with us as well as working hard.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband on valentines day, as we're having a baby and this was our last little get away.
We arrive and got shown our room which was average. I opened the bedside draw and there was a massive chunk of hair! Looked like a dead mouse!
In the morning we went to breakfast thinking that 50 minutes would be plenty of time to order and eat, unfortunately it wasn't it took the one capable person serving 20 minutes just to take our order. Eventually after receiving one piece of toast we just left as we had a hospital appointment.
I was really disappointed and wish I hadn't bothered wasting my money.
Best of all I informed the hotel of my complaints and I haven't heard anything back.
So out little getaway was ruined thankyou rhinefield!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jessica
Please accept my sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your time with us here at Rhinefield. I would relish the chance to speak with you directly about your concerns so that I can have the chance to try and rectify them for the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our first wedding anniversary, having been once before for a short weekend. The staff are all friendly and helpful, even though there was a wedding on, we did not feel any less attended do, or marginalised as a result.

Room was spacious and overlooked the forest, which was lovely. Unfortuntely the TV in the bathroom didn't work, but to be honest I wouldn't usually watch it while showering anyway.

The food is amazing and I would recommend both The Grill and the a la carte Armada restaurant. Both have great selections on the menus and the food is very well done. Even breakfast was very well done.

We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: On both occassions we had a room overlooking the forest.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah
Firstly congratulations on your first Wedding Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend it with us. I was very glad to read that you had enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to the chance to welcome you back to the Forest in the future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We all love the New Forest and have stayed in a great many differnet hotels over the years. This one reminded the children of Hogwarts and they enjoyed all the littlerooms and the history of the place.
The food was nice but the breakfasts were dreadful. The chef was totally unable to poach an egg, the toast was the eqivalent of warmed bread, the eggs oozed water and un-cooked yolks onto the spongy bread. It was stomach turning. I was also deeply disappointed that the orange jucie was from concentrate and not fresh.
The evening meals were a delight, the staff were extremely helpful especially as we have five children. Although the meal took forever to arrive at the table, which when you have two tiny ones is a bit demanding. I dont ever allow my children to be anything other than well behaved, but it was hard to keep the six year old content towards the end!
The Spa facilities were nice although the pool was tiny, more than three at a time was a crowd, the seating area around the pool was less than sufficient.
Our room was nice and the cleaning staff were lovely, although the sink didn't drain away so we called maintenance, when he unblocked he left the sink filthy!
Lovely well maintained grounds with lots of lovely walking trails, I wish I could have taken the dogs.
I dont think it was true value for money, and I doubt we will re-book.

Room Tip: Difficult to offer advice we were happy with our room but we didnt see any others
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
The Thomson Family
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased to read that as a family you had enjoyed your stay with us. I will have a look into the eggs at Breakfast and your other concerns and hopefully we may be able to get you all back to Hogwarts again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We splashed out on two nights for a special occasion but were disappointed. The price you pay is for the setting and to have a good base for exploring the New Forest, but the room really wasn’t brilliant and we had expected far more given the price. The spa facilities were fine, but the pool is more of a paddling pool really. The room was spotless but the bed was two singles pushed together, there were no bath robes (as advertised) and the ‘Wi-Fi’ that is also advertised is in fact a long cable that gives you a very slow internet connection. Would potentially visit again for afternoon tea but definitely would not stay - it is simply not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Harriet
I was sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with your stay at Rhinefield with regard to your room and our Internet coverage. We do only state that we have WI-FI in public areas and hard wire in the bedrooms. I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your afternoon tea.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful building, gorgeous grounds, substandard service! Our executive room was really lovely (although the sound didn't work on the tv in the bathroom, so that luxury went out the window!). Staff were polite, but somewhat clueless. We waited an inordinate time for our main course and to be honest the food was not great! When we checked out two other couples were complaining about two other separate issues. I would recommend you book somewhere else in the new forest.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our fantastic House and grounds and that you found the bedroom well appointed. I am sorry about the sound on the TV in the bathroom not working. It was a lose lead behind the screen which is all fixed now. I will look into your concerns about the service with the Restaurant team.

Been to Rhinefield House? Share your experiences!