“Slightly disappointing, expectations too high.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rhinefield House

You added Rhinefield House to your Saves list
Rhinefield House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rhinefield Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Slightly disappointing, expectations too high.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Rhinefield is one of the Hand Picked Hotels, the website & brochure makes it appear to be a very grand luxury country house hotel. For this reason my expectations were high, and I was rather disappointed when we arrived. The executive room we had was large with a very big bed & had a tv in the bathroom! However the decor felt very generic to that of a big chain hotel and was modern to the style of the 90's. this definitely detracted from the country house feel.
The spa is small & dark and they are particularly tight in giving you robes & slippers which resulted in glass on the floor (as people were wearing outdoor shoes in the spa area) on which I cut my foot.
Overall the staff were very good in all areas of the hotel.
Dinner was lovely, breakfast rather disappointing.
Overall the hotel was nice but didn't feel it was good value.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.
I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your Dinner with us and that the Staff matched your expectations.
I will of course review those items that did not with the team to ensure we get them right in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We visisted the hotel on Sunday 21st October 2012 for a friends wedding. The hotel, food and everything that went with it was superb but I would like to pay a particular tribute to the staff. All staff at the hotel were accomodating throughout the day and the 2 gents on reception (Tim, the events and conference assistant manager & the night manager (who's name I never managed to get)), were very helpful with regards to arranging taxis for us at the end of the day and really helped us out to ensure all of us made it back home ok. Both of the gents on reception were extremely friendly and welcoming and proved a real credit to the hotel - on the back of this alone, I would definately visit the hotel again and I would reccomend to others!

Room Tip: I did not sleep at the hotel so cannot comment on breakfast/spa etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor.
It is always gratifying when we receive comments on our team members. Tim and Mark will be really pleased to have been singled out in this positive way. I will make sure they read the review.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My friends and I attended a wedding at Rhinefield House over the weekend. The venue was absolutely beautiful and we all had a great day. The staff were really helpful and attentive and Tim in particular went out of his way to help us and ensure the day ran smoothly.
I would definitely recommend Rhinefield House as a wedding venue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.
We are very lucky to work in such a beautiful location and I am glad to read the Wedding day was such a success.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Beautiful surroundings/grounds. Our room wasn't huge but perfectly comfortable. Good food in Armada restaurant. Service a little slow in bar area which was also lacking in atmosphere. Breakfast was particularly good - can't remember when I was last served proper loose leaf tea!
Our classic room was well away from the wedding taking place on Saturday and didn't notice it at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay in particular your bedroom and food. Leafed tea is a feature here at the hotel and one that receives many positive comments about – capturing the bygone error of service!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bettyhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've dreamt of staying at the Rhinefield House Hotel since I was little and spent most summers camping in the Forest with my family... I booked a Classic Weekend Break for my me and my husband as a surprise to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. I was informed on booking that there would be weddings over the whole weekend, however was comfortable that their room recommendation would mean that we were well away from the celebrations and this did infact prove to be the case, the weddings didn't impact our stay at all. The Classic rooms are well equipped (hubby loved the big telly), very comfortable and very clean. Turn down service was included and nice to get back to after a long day walking/riding.

Over and above all the positives of this lovely hotel the staff absolutely stand out for me. From the moment we first walked in until after we had checked out they couldn't have been more accommodating, friendly, helpful and just really very good at what they do. They really did make this special weekend an unforgettable one.

We ate both evenings in the restaurants - the first, Friday, in the Amada Restaurant which was lovely, service impeccable, great wine list, beautiful room. The second, Saturday, in the more casual Grill but again, service impeccable, etc. We wouldn't usually eat in the hotel but venture out to local restaurants or pubs but are both really pleased that we did. The breakfast is perfect - with a good (and very fresh) continental buffet as well as hot choice (made to order) selection.

The hotel location and setting is superb, right in the midst of the New Forest National Park. We did a full day bike ride on the Saturday - rode all the way to Bucklers Hard, which is worth a visit. The second day, unable to sit on a bike again, we did a good walk to Lyndhurst and back. Surprisingly and disappointedly, we struggled to find somewhere for Sunday lunch in Lyndhurst - the only hotel in town (the Crown I think, on the main high street) only served until 2pm, so we missed that. Maybe we were looking for something a 'bit special' after the two meals in the hotel, as there are plenty of pubs in the town and all seemed to be busy. If you're planning on going to Lyndhurst for food then check it out ahead.

My only disapointment with the hotel, not even that really, is that the main lounge/bar area feels as though it's underground (it isn't) as its quite dark/dingy but again the service made up for that.

Room Tip: The Classic rooms are well away from any wedding celebrations, so noise isn't an issue.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Congratulations on your recent wedding anniversary.

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Rhinefield House.

Since refurbishing our Classic bedrooms we have received numerous complimentary remarks on the overall standards. Lisa my head housekeeper is committed with her team to cleaning them to the very highest standards.

The team are very special at Rhinefield House, I believe as I have mentioned in many reviews that they are what make the hotel so welcoming and relaxing for all our guests, I would not change them for all the tea in China!!

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the food in both restaurants and as you know the hotel is ideally situated for guests to enjoy the New Forest national park and all its attractions.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at Rhinefield House. We had a great time and really enjoyed the stay - and it would have been better with a few improvements suggested below.

We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast offer through the hotel directly. It was the best value for money option I found online. Booking and check in was very easy - although there was a slight confusion when someone else had signed our check in card when we were trying to check in. That was sorted out swiftly. I liked the fact that you had the option of going to one of the two restaurants for dinner and you would only pay the difference between the set menu included in the package and the a la carte price.

We had four of our five meals in the Armada Resraurant (this is where the breakfast is served too). On the third night we decided to dine go to the Grill Restaurant for a little bit of change. It was a mistake and we definitely don't recommend it, both in terms of the service and the quality of the food. I went for the vegetarian option- mushroom and artichoke macaroni cheese. This was bland and boring, and my husband's vegetable macaroni cheese is far superior. My husband had the spatchcock poussin with "game chips". The poussin was a bit dry and had hardly any meat on it, and it came with 1/3 pack of ready salted crisps! Huh?!?! No one came to ask us about our meal either. For dessert my husband had the chocolate torte with sorbet. The torte had partially cooked tasteless pastry. The sorbet was half melted and had large ice crystals - a very poor attempt at sorbet! And to think that this was more expensive than the 3 course meal at the Armada too (as it was all a la carte prices)! Again, none of the staff asked how our meal was. The next day we went back to the Armada and the atmosphere, service and food quality were all much better. Miles better. So, I think the Grill Restaurant has quite some way to go to improve itself to the standard of Rhinefield.

The Executive room we had was good- comfortable bed and very good powerful shower with plenty of hot water. It is a real shame that there is only wifi in the lounge and not in the rooms. Also, toiletries, tea, coffee and milk were not replenished everyday - we had to call for additional milk twice during our stay. The TV remote control has been reprogrammed to include Handpicked Hotels menu, which meant that some functions, such as resizing the picture, are no longer available. This got quite annoying towards the end of our stay.

The location of the hotel is brilliant for walks in the nearby woods. We booked a guided walk with Steve at www.FuzzackerGuidedWalks.yolasite.com via the excellent Tourist Information Centre at Lyndhurst. It was a 3 hour walk and Steve was very knowledgable. He also suggested a walk around the hotel, which we did and came across a group of deer. We also did a walk from Blackwater car park near the hotel and came across a stag and about a dozen deer. That was amazing.

There was a wedding on two days during our stay, but we didn't have any problems with noise whatsoever. We didn't feel like we had intruded on the wedding party as they were in different parts of the hotel.

All in all, we had a great time in the New Forest and enjoyed our stay at Rhinefield House. We would certainly be back in the future and hope that the small issues identified will have been taken care of by then!

• Stayed October 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was really disappointed with our stay.
I booked a 'celebration package' for 1 night, which I felt was fairly expensive (over £200)
The room we were given had mould on the net curtain and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls.
There were also 2 large spiders in the room, which led me to question how thoroughly it was cleaned.
The food in the restaurant was OK, but not fantastic.

When I was asked at reception how my stay had been, I said I was disappointed with the room and mentioned the mould and wallpaper. The receptionist obviously didn't care, and cut me short with an 'oh dear' before handing me the bill.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, for the price it is not worth it.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, following your stay at Rhinefield House.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the impression you received. Bedroom presentation is key to our success and so the bedroom concerned has been taken out of inventory and a planned maintenance program now in place to address points raised.

If I may ask you to contact me on your next stay at Rhinefield House so I may personally look after you.

Jonathan Owen

Been to Rhinefield House? Share your experiences!