“Great hotel, great service, excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rhinefield House

You added Rhinefield House to your Saves list
Rhinefield House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rhinefield Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QB, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bettyhill, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great service, excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've dreamt of staying at the Rhinefield House Hotel since I was little and spent most summers camping in the Forest with my family... I booked a Classic Weekend Break for my me and my husband as a surprise to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. I was informed on booking that there would be weddings over the whole weekend, however was comfortable that their room recommendation would mean that we were well away from the celebrations and this did infact prove to be the case, the weddings didn't impact our stay at all. The Classic rooms are well equipped (hubby loved the big telly), very comfortable and very clean. Turn down service was included and nice to get back to after a long day walking/riding.

Over and above all the positives of this lovely hotel the staff absolutely stand out for me. From the moment we first walked in until after we had checked out they couldn't have been more accommodating, friendly, helpful and just really very good at what they do. They really did make this special weekend an unforgettable one.

We ate both evenings in the restaurants - the first, Friday, in the Amada Restaurant which was lovely, service impeccable, great wine list, beautiful room. The second, Saturday, in the more casual Grill but again, service impeccable, etc. We wouldn't usually eat in the hotel but venture out to local restaurants or pubs but are both really pleased that we did. The breakfast is perfect - with a good (and very fresh) continental buffet as well as hot choice (made to order) selection.

The hotel location and setting is superb, right in the midst of the New Forest National Park. We did a full day bike ride on the Saturday - rode all the way to Bucklers Hard, which is worth a visit. The second day, unable to sit on a bike again, we did a good walk to Lyndhurst and back. Surprisingly and disappointedly, we struggled to find somewhere for Sunday lunch in Lyndhurst - the only hotel in town (the Crown I think, on the main high street) only served until 2pm, so we missed that. Maybe we were looking for something a 'bit special' after the two meals in the hotel, as there are plenty of pubs in the town and all seemed to be busy. If you're planning on going to Lyndhurst for food then check it out ahead.

My only disapointment with the hotel, not even that really, is that the main lounge/bar area feels as though it's underground (it isn't) as its quite dark/dingy but again the service made up for that.

Room Tip: The Classic rooms are well away from any wedding celebrations, so noise isn't an issue.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Congratulations on your recent wedding anniversary.

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Rhinefield House.

Since refurbishing our Classic bedrooms we have received numerous complimentary remarks on the overall standards. Lisa my head housekeeper is committed with her team to cleaning them to the very highest standards.

The team are very special at Rhinefield House, I believe as I have mentioned in many reviews that they are what make the hotel so welcoming and relaxing for all our guests, I would not change them for all the tea in China!!

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the food in both restaurants and as you know the hotel is ideally situated for guests to enjoy the New Forest national park and all its attractions.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rhinefield House in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Jonathan Owen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at Rhinefield House. We had a great time and really enjoyed the stay - and it would have been better with a few improvements suggested below.

We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast offer through the hotel directly. It was the best value for money option I found online. Booking and check in was very easy - although there was a slight confusion when someone else had signed our check in card when we were trying to check in. That was sorted out swiftly. I liked the fact that you had the option of going to one of the two restaurants for dinner and you would only pay the difference between the set menu included in the package and the a la carte price.

We had four of our five meals in the Armada Resraurant (this is where the breakfast is served too). On the third night we decided to dine go to the Grill Restaurant for a little bit of change. It was a mistake and we definitely don't recommend it, both in terms of the service and the quality of the food. I went for the vegetarian option- mushroom and artichoke macaroni cheese. This was bland and boring, and my husband's vegetable macaroni cheese is far superior. My husband had the spatchcock poussin with "game chips". The poussin was a bit dry and had hardly any meat on it, and it came with 1/3 pack of ready salted crisps! Huh?!?! No one came to ask us about our meal either. For dessert my husband had the chocolate torte with sorbet. The torte had partially cooked tasteless pastry. The sorbet was half melted and had large ice crystals - a very poor attempt at sorbet! And to think that this was more expensive than the 3 course meal at the Armada too (as it was all a la carte prices)! Again, none of the staff asked how our meal was. The next day we went back to the Armada and the atmosphere, service and food quality were all much better. Miles better. So, I think the Grill Restaurant has quite some way to go to improve itself to the standard of Rhinefield.

The Executive room we had was good- comfortable bed and very good powerful shower with plenty of hot water. It is a real shame that there is only wifi in the lounge and not in the rooms. Also, toiletries, tea, coffee and milk were not replenished everyday - we had to call for additional milk twice during our stay. The TV remote control has been reprogrammed to include Handpicked Hotels menu, which meant that some functions, such as resizing the picture, are no longer available. This got quite annoying towards the end of our stay.

The location of the hotel is brilliant for walks in the nearby woods. We booked a guided walk with Steve at www.FuzzackerGuidedWalks.yolasite.com via the excellent Tourist Information Centre at Lyndhurst. It was a 3 hour walk and Steve was very knowledgable. He also suggested a walk around the hotel, which we did and came across a group of deer. We also did a walk from Blackwater car park near the hotel and came across a stag and about a dozen deer. That was amazing.

There was a wedding on two days during our stay, but we didn't have any problems with noise whatsoever. We didn't feel like we had intruded on the wedding party as they were in different parts of the hotel.

All in all, we had a great time in the New Forest and enjoyed our stay at Rhinefield House. We would certainly be back in the future and hope that the small issues identified will have been taken care of by then!

• Stayed October 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was really disappointed with our stay.
I booked a 'celebration package' for 1 night, which I felt was fairly expensive (over £200)
The room we were given had mould on the net curtain and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls.
There were also 2 large spiders in the room, which led me to question how thoroughly it was cleaned.
The food in the restaurant was OK, but not fantastic.

When I was asked at reception how my stay had been, I said I was disappointed with the room and mentioned the mould and wallpaper. The receptionist obviously didn't care, and cut me short with an 'oh dear' before handing me the bill.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, for the price it is not worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, following your stay at Rhinefield House.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the impression you received. Bedroom presentation is key to our success and so the bedroom concerned has been taken out of inventory and a planned maintenance program now in place to address points raised.

If I may ask you to contact me on your next stay at Rhinefield House so I may personally look after you.

London England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Okay, so lets get the negative out of the way:
The Members/bar lounge and little restaurant seem like they belong to an entirely different establishment- maybe one that is a 2-4 star hotel with mismatched furniture, 1980s dried flowers and a complete lack of design. And there was a pretty funky damp smell.
The Spa was not completely welcoming and the lady who I asked to book me in , sort of gave me the feeling that she was doing me a favour-not the other way around, as I was filling an open space.
The TV's on the treadmills an bikes were not functional both times I visited and the wi-fi receptions was particularly bad.
BUT THERE IS A LOT OF POSITIVE!
A very warm welcome by the young James a porter on reception who convinced me on my initial visit to try and book a better room the next time and I am glad I did. He also gave me a personalised tour and was an absolute delight.
The atmosphere on a warm sunny Friday outdoors is pure bliss- and it is moody and fun on an cool rainy autumnal night three weeks later.
The Maze, and grass amphitheatre is lovely for young and young at heart and the grounds are a delight to explore.
On our second stay we decided to stay in the highest category room which doubles as a honeymoon suite, complete with a four poster bed, corner chaise lounge, deco bathroom and gorgeous views over the grounds. Worth it for a special occasion at £££

What recommends this hotel as much as the historic building, is the Chef and staff in the the Alhambra Restaurant. Complexity and simplicity co-existing beautifully on the same plate and dishes are served with panache, grace and conviviality with kudos to our persian waiter whose name now escapes me.
Ham Hock Pressing was tastier than it sounds as was the grey mullet ( I know, I know, it's the name of the fish, but anytime I hear grey on a plate, I cringe- ) other stars included the deft lobster consume perfectly seasoned with a sliver of scallop, as well as the shoulder of lamb confit with superb tenderness and the interesting if somewhat too firm, blue cheese Panna cotta.

I would certainly recommend it if you were to stay in the main section of the hotel, avoid the lounge area, don't expect much of the spa, ask James to take you into the private dining room for a little peek and historical tour, and definitely stay for a tremendous dinner.

Room Tip: negotiate a deal to stay in a higher category room in the main hotel-
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I fully appreciate your impression of our lounge and spa, over the year’s significant investment has gone into both areas and we are committed to further improvements, however I do understand this to be your impression.

I was pleased to read that the team looked after you and that you thoroughly enjoyed the food. I have passed on your comments to Norman my head chef.

Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had friends to stay over the weekend and during a long walk in The Forest we stopped at The Rhinefield House Hotel for a cup of tea and a light bite. Yes a bit bedraggled but never-the-less customers. We were a party of 6 and since my wife and I have used The Rhinefield a number of times, including stays before we moved to the area, the fine dining restaurant and as we did today for just quick refreshments in a lovely surrounding. We wanted cakes with our tea and I asked the Maître De to explain how many cakes there were on the very inviting cake stand on the table nearby. It was if I was speaking another language. Anyway I ordered 2 cakes for each of us and we got 20 Mmmmm. Then they tried to deliver another batch, confusion continues. The cakes were very nice and when we had finished I asked for the bill. The waiter brought me someone else’s bill and I pointed this out to him and then he brought ours. I studied the bill and I was very confused could not work out why we had 4 selections of cakes. I asked him how many cakes there were to each selection, to which he replied “is this a trivia question sir”. Now I don’t mind paying that sort of money for the surroundings and the lovely tea and cakes but since we have been going to The Rhinefield for a number of years, well before it became part of The Hand Picked Group. The standard of service has significantly dropped and the rudeness of the staff today has made me write this long overdue review. Sorry Hand Picked Hotels you just lost a customer and a local one at that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was concerned to read that whilst you enjoyed your tea and cakes a member of my team was curt towards your party. There can be no place for such a lack of hospitality and rest assured the lounge team are fully aware of the impression this individual has left with you and your friends.

Naturally I would wish to restore the lost faith by asking you to contact me when you are next out walking in the New Forest so I may arrange tea with my compliments.

Gosport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The first night of our honeymoon was spent at Rhinefield house 7th October 2012 . The Hotel itself is beautiful and the grounds well maintained. The cream tea was delicious however the lounge staff fairly distant and not welcoming.

We had booked an inclusive offer and the allocated room was lovely, well decorated and clean. The complimentary strawberies and sweets were delightful.

Unfortunately the staff at the hotel are its failing point. Although we were told to look at both menus for the evening meal we were booked into one particular resturaunt rather than given the choice and when this was queried by us (as we prefered the other) a very loud patronising 'scene' followed. In full view and hearing of the entire lounge the staff member repeadly refering to the 'package' we had booked and that as part of the 'package' we had been pre booked into the armada resturaunt. On several occasion I asked the staff member (? restuarant manager) if he could keep his voice down. Sadly not!! My husband then said he would go to reception and discuss the issue and was told 'please go ahead as reception will deal with me anyway'!
Eventually we were given a table in the other resturaunt (next to an empty table which remained empty all evening) several other tables in the restuarant were also empty - why the fuss?

Our desert never arrived we were left waiting for it watched by 2 staff members until we eventually asked if there was a problem, of course it had never been ordered by them !- If this was not intentional I wonder why we were not approached by the waiting staff or why coffee was not offererred?? After leaving the resturaunt and sitting in the lounge with a drink the waiter did come out appologised and offered coffee! This was all fed back at reception at checkout - lots of tutting and shaking of heads but thats about it! Obviously not fed back anywhere.

The experience resulted in a bad nights sleep and dreading breakfast.

Although the room was booked as part of a package it was still a significant amount of money and the start of our honeymoon which was ruined by staff who seem to think they are above and beyond providing a service.

If you want to feel humiliated and patronised please book a night a Rhinefield House!!

Room Tip: choose a room at another hotel!
Dear Guest

May I firstly convey my congratulations on your recent wedding.

Whilst I was pleased to read you found your room to be clean and well decorated and enjoyed your gift of strawberries I was naturally most concerned to read about your dining experience.

I have discussed your valuable feedback with my food and beverage management team to understand how and why such a situation could have arisen at Rhinefield House. We receive numerous comments about how helpful and polite the team are and so I am particularly disappointed to read about the lack of care shown before dinner and then subsequently at the dessert point.

Please be assured that such comments are taken very seriously and where necessary policy’s are changed with support from training to ensure our usual standards are maintained.

I would naturally ask that you contact me personally on your next stay in the New Forest so I may personally take care of all the arrangements.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Such a beautiful hotel, rooms were clean and fresh! All staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We were celebrating a wedding there and everything went smoothly, thank you!

• Stayed October 2012
Jonathan_Owen, General Manager at Rhinefield House, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and the celebrations for the wedding.

Jonathan Owen

Been to Rhinefield House? Share your experiences!