“Great family orientated hotel with warm and friendly staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Park Manor

Save Saved
You added New Park Manor to your Saves list
New Park Manor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lyndhurst Road, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7QH, England   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Great family orientated hotel with warm and friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay with our toddler and baby (2yrs and 4mths). The place is totally geared up for families and we will definitely be going back. We stayed in one of the Forest Rooms (Cedar) it had a huge bed, a travel cot and a small bed for our toddler. It was a little cramped but it didn’t really matter as we barely spent any time in the room. The crèche (The Den) was great, we pre-booked sessions for the kids and it was great knowing they were in safe hands and only minutes away. Lucy in particular was fantastic looking after them and was always smiling and full of energy. It was the shame the weather wasn’t great as the The Den has a play area outside with lots of toys and a trampoline. We really enjoyed the spa while we were there. My husband used the gym and although it wasn’t very big it had all the key gym equipment that you need. I chose to use the spa while the kids where in The Den. The Canadian hot tub outside was great. The steam room wasn’t working when we stayed but a notice on the door said we could use the Rasul room which had a steam room and I did this, I think the steam room was fixed on the last day of our stay. The sauna was working fine as was the Jacuzzi. Unfortunately we didn’t have good weather when we were there but that didn’t stop us having a good stay. We managed to visit Peppa Pig World which was only 20mins away. We ate in every night and used the baby listening service. We could choose where we ate too, so most of the time we chose to eat in the lounge rather than the restaurant. Mainly as we still had our baby with us so we felt a bit more relaxed in case he starting crying, but also as it was so chilled out. The food was ok/good. My only negative would be that it wasn’t always consistent. We ordered the same food on different days and there would be differences. My chicken on one day was a bit burnt underneath (though I ate it and didn’t complain, maybe I should have said something with hindsight). I think the food and execution of it could be improved from ok/good to very good. The breakfasts were good and you had a great choice. There was a buffet style table laid out with cereals, pastries, fruit and muffins and then you could also order a cooked breakfast. The staff make this hotel special from Ben on reception, Nicola and Sarah in the restaurant and Lucy in the crèche. Steve the manager was always around and made sure we were ok and always had time for a quick chat/hello. Thoughtful touches throughout the hotel were appreciated, like access to toys everywhere without feeling cluttered, spare sheet for the cot, childrens books in the room and Annabel Karmel snacks. The hotel is still being refurbished and work is now coming to an end. We didn’t feel like the refurbishment caused us any disruption. I would like to see what it will look like when it is finished so I have an excuse to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm so pleased that you all had a lovely time with us and that the team looked after you all well, I will be sure to pass your lovely comments. We have also rolled out our new menu this week which I know will help with consistency and improved our offering, as you rightly stated we had a couple of issues whilst you were with us. With our new menus in place now I am confident that the food will match our service. We hope that you will all be able to come back and see us again very soon.
Steve & the Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Last year we went to Moonfleet Manor, a sister hotel of New Park, and had a wonderful time (see previous review) so we decided to try this hotel as it was much closer to home. We have two young children and decided to get away for 4 days.

Firstly the good:

Our rooms (Beech and Holly) were lovely. They were nicely decorated with everything you'd need and set up for the children with bed guards and a cot. The room was clean and housekeeping was very efficient, cleaning the room during breakfast and never bothering us.

The spa is great. Modern with good facilities including a small gym. Would highly recommend the outside hot tub - it was boiling and had a great view of the surrounding countryside.

The creche was great with good toys and equipment. Lucy was also lovely.

Staff were friendly - Johanna (sp?) and the lady at breakfast were particularly helpful.

So why did we leave feeling disappointed?

Most of the hotel was being majorly refurbished. We were told that some work was being done in advance but also told that it wouldn't affect our stay as it would be in a different part of the hotel. This wasn't true. We found the refurbishment intrusive - from drilling in the wall behind us during breakfast, the smell of paint/ varnish fumes during dinner, loud banging after we'd put the children to bed, f'ing and blinding from the builders in the car park, communal rooms being moved or out of action etc

Most of all we felt that the staff had been scaled down (as only 8 rooms were in action) and were distracted by everything that was going on. We felt that we were always nagging and were just getting in the way. For example, we had bottles that needed washing and sterilising. We left them in the basket before breakfast but they were still not cleaned by tea time. We had to ask three times to get them sorted. This was the case every day during our stay. The receptionist even told us twice that we could do it ourself in the baby kitchen. In addition, we kept having to ask again and again for bibs, cups etc. It was as if the staff weren't used to people asking for these things.

With regard to the creche, we were told that we were only allowed to book one session per day. We were therefore disappointed to discover that other families had booked two and when we complained about this were told that the policy had recently changed and that they had to honour other families who'd booked before the change in policy.

In addition, the creche was staffed by one person and this person changed three times during our stay. We didn't find this very conducive to settling our children.

We were very keen to have spa treatments but found that the spa was fully booked with the exception of one half hour slot (don't ignore warnings to book in advance).

We found that the food was mixed, sometimes good (e.g. the steak) but other times not so good (e.g. fish with bean casserole) and choice was limited. Even the specials rarely changed. The children's food was also very hit and miss and not good value for money £7 for a small bowl of pasta with passata and a plate of houmous and crudités.

Overall, we feel that we chose a bad time to stay at this hotel as when the refurb is complete and service is back to normal I'm sure it will be a lovely place to stay. We did mention our feedback to Steve the manager and he listened and acknowledged that we hadn't had a great time.

In addition we have a number of ideas that would improve the hotel:

- making high tea a less informal affair. At Moonfleet they have a children's tea room with small tables, cartoon murals and a buffet with a few hot and cold options for the children with ice cream/ yoghurt and a drink included in the cost. We found this much better, especially with younger children when they can be messy or fussy eaters.

- having a basket of sippy cups/ bibs/ children's cutlery/ colouring pens etc available so that people can help themselves (they do this at Moonfleet).

- the wooden highchairs were fine but some of the others were broken/ dirty. The hotel should invest in some Ikea Antilops - £12 each and really easy to clean.

- nappy buckets and changing mats should be provided when there are babies in the rooms. We did ask for this but the receptionist said it wasn't possible.

Room Tip: Beech and Holly were nice. Book spa treatments in advance!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am deeply sorry that we have let you and your family down on certain aspects of your stay with us. As you rightly state, we have advised our guests of works being carried out prior to their stay. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can appreciate with a Grade II listed building there have been a few issues during the refurb that have arisen that were not expected and could not have been planned for. This has only happened on a couple of occasions but did occur whilst you were with us. I would like to give you my assurance that all works have been carried out as discretely as possible. During your stay with us I placed a letter in your room to advise that the newly refurbished lounge would come back into use as was finished ahead of schedule, but I apologise if the movements gave you any disturbance as they appear to have done. I will most certainly speak with the builders again and ensure that no bad language is used whilst they are on the premises - please accept my apologise for this and will ensure that it does not happen again. I am sorry that you had issues with the Den booking. As your rightly state, our guests are entitled to one 2 hours session per day, and should any slots be available on the day then they can happily book their children in. This appears to have happened on your day, but it is on a 1st come 1st served basis. I am sorry that you have felt that the childrens meal size portions were not enough. We order the food with the chefs and give the ages of the children so that they can cater accordingly. I take on board your comments re the highchairs and colouring. We have got some new highchairs on order. The childrens colouring pencils are given to them at the table with a selection of colours. I am also going to look into holding the childrens high tea in the Den once we have finished our works here. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your rooms and make full use of the Spa and Den. I will pass on your lovely feedback to the team who I am sure will be delighted to know that they looked after you very well whilst with us. We very much hope that you will be able to come back and see all of the works/improvements made to the hotel and our facilities.
Steve and the Team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have just returned from 4 nights at New Park Manor with my wife, two year old daughter, and dog. I had never been before, and this sort of thing is new to me, so I went with trepidation. It was a revelation!!!
Before I start.......
THIS IS A FAMILY HOTEL WITH A SPA, NOT A SPA THAT HAPPENS TO HAVE A HOTEL THAT IS CHILD FRIENDLY.
I would not recommend it as a spa retreat for a couple. If you want just a spa, go to somewhere that just does spas. The website is clear that it is for children, do your research.
Now....
If I were to be very critical, food is a little expensive, I think that a larger choice of more basic food, especially considering children are the focus, at a cheaper price. The menus were the same every night with a couple of specials. The food was either 10 out of 10, fantastic, or 6 out of 10. I would rather continuity at 7/8 out of 10, a little cheaper. Having said that, mostly good, children got hummus, cucumber and carrot for every meal, and a reasonable choice for them, could have had more veg.
My other criticism is communication. We weren't told the den was closed and there was now a small room for the crèche. It was disappointing. Also, no cinema. They are going through refurb, so should have told us, as we felt let down.

I may sound negative, which is weird as I've given it 5 stars, but I am being as critical as I can, as I believe you should be clear and honest. The overall reality is that we were blown away. We hadn't expected to have such a wonderful time. My criticisms are meant to be constructive. The good stuff is:
We had a Forest Room (Beech), with an interconnecting room for our daughter. Do this, as you get sleep!
Rooms are lovely, comfortable, clean, beautiful views, and a telly in the bath! They even left us a bag of treats for the dog.
Everywhere is geared for children, boxes of toys and teddies in most public rooms. Games to play, a table football, a room for computer games with wii. Excellent enclosed garden with trampoline and swingball. She didn't know where to go next for fun.
Our dog was treated like royalty
The staff were incredible, always helpful, wonderful with my daughter. Special thanks to Nichola who served us most of the time, fantastic girl, lovely Lucy in the crèche, kept our daughter entertained and happy with ease, Nina who was great, Sarah-Jane who was brilliant, the reception girls (sorry, names escape me) who ran around after us on an hourly basis, and Steve who bent over backwards for us.
The staff made it for us.
The location is fab, with horses to feed, in the middle of lovely walks, deer to watch out of the window.
Our daughter hasn't stopped talking about it, we will be back as soon as we can

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Great to read that you all had a lovely time (inc Poppy too of course!). I'm sorry if we have let you down with some breakdown in communication. The website does state that the cinema room will not be completely finished until May but I agree that you should have been informed of this prior to arrival, please accept my apologies for this. Also as you rightly state, the Den was moved into a smaller room due to the refurbishment. I fully appreciate that the bigger room (which is now in use again after been redecorated) would have been more comfortable, but unfortunately we did not have another suitable big room. I am so pleased to read that your stay with us went well and that you all had a lovely time. I hope that you will all be able to come back and see us again very soon. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to all of the team too who I know will be really pleased.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a restful 4 night stay at the New Park Manor.

We were on holiday to celebrate our son's second birthday and were looking for a 'home from home' experience - all I can say to support that is that our son referred to the New Park Manor as 'Lukie's House Hotel' :-)

Steve and his team were very welcoming and bent over backwards to make sure that our stay was as pleasant and friendly as could be.

We were fully aware of the renovations taking place and the work barely interrupted us at any point. All the workmen were polite and courteous and the front of house staff made sure that work was carried out thoughtfully and with the guests at the forefront of the schedule.

We also took advantage of the child-friendly timetable in the Spa pool much to our son's delight.

Although the weather wasn't great we found something suitable to do as a family every day, and I would recommend the New Park Manor as a jumping off point to explore all the New Forest has to offer.

Lovely stay, in a lovely location, with a lovely team.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm so pleased to read that you all had a lovely time with us and the team looked after you well. It was a pleasure to have you all here in Lukies House Hotel and hope that you will get the chance to come back and see us again very soon.
Steve
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

It is clear, from my own reaction to the hotel and from others listed below that this was once a beautiful retreat. This is not the case at present. We booked a spa day and travelled from london. We were not informed of the work which was taking place on the hotel, or that we would be diverted down a road ridden with pot holes. We eventually found our way to the spa reception where two children were running around uncontrollably. We were seen to and shown around the spa, which by no accounts met our expectations and did not match numerous descriptions online & on spa package brochures. We were taken through to the pool in our boots and not asked to remove them, which in itself seems unhygienic. We decided not to stay and were given a frosty 'goodbye.' We did ask to see the manager but were told, and I quote, 'well I am the spa supervisor.' This hotel may now be great for families and that in itself is fabulous, but it is not the location for a relaxing break.

• Stayed February 2013
Steve F, General Manager at New Park Manor, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to read your disappointments regarding your stay. As you were on a spa day, we did not inform you of the scaffolding around the main hotel (which will be down by mid April) as the Spa is located on the other side of the hotel and is totally unaffected, and can not be seen at all. I understand your comment re the pot holes on the lane. This is not our driveway (ours is currently been re-tarmacked and ready by 20th March) but is the councils and unfortunately we have no jurisdiction over it's condition, but will only be used until 20th March. As you rightly state, we are indeed a family hotel and on entry into the main hotel you will always see our lovely little guests having bags of fun. I must note that the spa has set swim times for children in the hotel which are from 8-10 & 3-6 each day, leaving the rest of the day completely free for the grown ups to relax and enjoy the facilities of the spa. With regards to your comment re being taken into the pool area in your shoes - this was only to the pool entrance whilst showing you the facilities to ensure that you know where everything is to enjoy the day to the full. At no point do any of our spa team allow our guests to walk around the pool area in normal footwear freely. If you would like to email me directly re your comments regarding our online description I would be very grateful as the website and all documentation is fully up to date for all of the spa facilities - I can only assume you saw this on another website so would be grateful to know where this was seen so that I can have it ammended. My email address is steve.thorne-farrar@newparkmanorhotel.co.uk. I am sorry that you felt you were given a frosty goodbye by our spa supervisor. Having know her for a length of time now, and receiving the numerous fabulous comments regarding her customer service, I am shocked to read this and can only assume that it was taken out of context when asking her who was the supervisor.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from our stay and had such a great time we can't wait to return! I will admit to being slightly disappointed with the state of the crèche as it seemed to have seen better days but the spa facilities, and staff who can't do enough for you more than made up for it! Our daughter Gracie was allowed to walk freely around the hotel without staff moaning about her, from reception staff, head of housekeeping, our evening waitress and breakfast waiter and Jo for taking great care of Gracie we felt so welcome and can't wait to return! The only thing I would change is the times of children able to use the spa as they seemed to clash with the sessions o the crèche. Can't believe I spent Saturday afternoon sat in a outdoor hot tub in march! Can't wait to see the hotel once the refit is complete. Thanks again guys its been great!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm so pleased to read that you all had a great time and that Gracie had a fabulous time with Jo in the Den. I understand your comments regarding the Den but am pleased to announce that our lovely new BIG Den will be back in use as of the middle of March. Great to see that you made full use of the outdoor Canadian hot tub...there really is no better place to sit and relax I agree. We hope that you will be able to come back and see us again very soon.
Best wishes to you and your family.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

As a surprise I booked to take mum for a nice relaxing day of luxury and relaxation, which is more than what we got! We were greeted by a warm welcome by the very friendly staff, who were throughout the day very helpful, and couldnt of done anymore for us! We were shown around the spa facilities, and then began our day of indulgence. We were provided with thick fluffy robes, slippers and towels. The facilities were amazing, we spent hours relaxing in the jacuzzi (outside) as well as taking a swim and a hot steam. We then had our champagne afternoon tea... This was served in the juice bar, with a fantastic view of the forest. There was a wide range of finger sandwiches and cakes served with a glass of champagne and strawberries. We then spent an hour in the relaxation room before indulging in our 30 min massage treatments followed by mum recieving her complimetary mothers day manicure. She was over the moon with the whole day and a return visit will be a must!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm so pleased to read that you and your mum had a lovely time with us and that the Spa team looked after you so well during your day with us. The outdoor Canadian hot tub really is a fantastic place to sit and relax and take in the lovely views across the forest. We hope that you will both be able to come back and see us again very soon.
Steve & the Team

Been to New Park Manor? Share your experiences!