“Beautiful and elegant - just expensive!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa

You added Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa to your Saves list
Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Lyndhurst Road, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7RH, England   |
Special Offer
FREE products & treatment
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Milton abbas
“Beautiful and elegant - just expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here for the second time with my mother for her 74 birthday. Had a beautiful garden room - executive one. Food at the french resturant in the evening was absolutely lovely with very friendly staff. In fact the staff throughout the hotel are very helpful and friendly. The swimming pool is gorgeous and so are the changing rooms. My only complaint is that however lovely the Sen Spa is the fact that you have to pay extra to use it is, in my opinion, disappointing. This is not a cheap hotel and it would have been nice to have had that included in the package. Having said all of that this was a lovely hotel to stay in and would happily go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a 30th birthday celebration recently and utilized the amazing spa. This place really is great. The spa was fantastic with the awesome hydrotherapy pool and the amazing showers not to mention all the other relaxation rooms and sauna and steam room.
We ate at the French restaurant attached for lunch which was yummy but have eaten at the Thai restaurant before which was equally tasty!
Our room was gorgeous, and the staff had arranged for a balloon and box of chocolates for the birthday celebration which was really nice!
The surrounding are beautiful in the heart of the New Forest. Such a lovely place to stay - we hope to return soon!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We were all pleased to learn that that your 30th birthday celebration with us at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa proved to be as amazing as you had hoped. All our teams’ thank you for your kind comments and look forward to helping you celebrate future milestones of just a relaxing break with us in the New Forest.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am assuming this is a 4* hotel and it is not up to that standard. The overall appearance is good and parts of it are what I would expect but unfortunately a lot of it is just not good enough for the prices charged.

We were there for a reunion day using a conference room with access to a private garden area. Some of us stayed on for dinner and overnight.

The view of the garden was the most attractive part of the conference room. There was nothing wrong with it but it could have been much nicer with some fresh flowers to cheer it up. While tea and coffee were provided in insulated pots (which only keep drinks hot when full), they were all brought at once and not replenished so they went cold. The hotel just did what they always do for a conference, but this was an informal reunion with guests arriving from all parts of the country at different times. Lunch was disappointing - a selection of basic sandwiches just cut in 2 with a salad and crisps garnish plus quiches cut in half and slices of some sort of custard tart (pretty tasteless) with a fruit garnish; uninspiring.

The best parts of our stay were all in relation to the real hotel side. Reception staff were excellent, the young man who showed me to my garden room very pleasant and helpful, the room all that I would expect, though in the bathroom there were a couple of maintenance details needing attention. Like the rest of the grounds the garden was attractive and well maintained and there were a couple of chairs and a little table for each room.

Dinner, booked for the Thai restaurant was actually served to our group in a partitioned off section of the breakfast dining room. Again, it lacked decorative features and was quite soulless. Service was slow and as we had not been shown any menus to know what we were to be served (2 copies were brought after we asked if they had any), there was confusion as to whether the 1st serving dish dish was a starter or part of a selection of dishes for mains. It was almost cold by the time all the rest of the (mains) dishes arrived. Our waitress seemed unfamiliar with the wine list, had difficulty finding where the whites were on it and was unable to answer questions. The food was not real Thai, but a much toned down version. Only 1 dish appeared to have chilli in it and some were bland. Quantities were barely adequate and we were not offered any more when the dishes were empty. Just 2 king prawns per person was the ration.

At breakfast, the buffet was basically quite good with plenty of choice, but again no menu was offered; it turned out there was one with additional dishes on it which some of us would have ordered. When I read a review mentioning farcical levels of confusion in the service, I was not surprised. It was not quite that bad that morning, but was sporadic and patchy. I understand the need to employ staff from overseas, but they need very good English as a starting point when they to serve guests; they are the face of the restaurant. Some of our problems were misunderstandings due to inadequate English, eg. another jug of cold milk supplied when asked for warm - when told about it, she understood 'hot' but not 'warm'.

We all agreed that the breakfast table decorations said it all - a pot with the dried out remains of 3 daffodil bulbs at 1 end of the table and at the other a half dead pot of marjoram.

Room Tip: Many rooms are a long walk from Reception and the public rooms. Garden rooms are good.
Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When we arrived the hotel staff were really helpful. The room was nice, we were given an upgrade, which was nice. I changed and went into the spa. It is tired and uninspiring, I have been to much better spas. We then went to the bar for an aperitif. This was good but it didn't come with the usual nibbles. We asked for the menus but they didn't arrive and this was how the evening went from this point. We arrived in the restaurant and were seated. The restaurant manager was new and very focused on enlightening us with his cv. We didn't encourage him and really weren't interested! The food was very good god but the service wasn't. We were sitting in a prime position to watch the farce that was the service. They were giving fawlty towers a run for their money, people were served the wrong food, people weren't greeted on arrival, etc etc etc. We had a good nights sleep in our garden room. The breakfast service the following morning was absolutely dreadful. There were tables that were never cleared. Lack of plates and food. The staff just dud t know what to do. The queue for the buffet was incredibly long. So I got up and walked to reception and told them that the restaurant needed to be sorted out immediately!! They all then started to run around and get things done.
At the end of the day we were guests and shouldn't gave had to put my business gat on and tell them to sort themselves out. I told the reception staff that I wanted to speak to the manager when we checked out. The managers excuse was that it was a new restaurant. It wasn't it was just the same restaurant with a different name! They have to serve food to guests so really nothing has changed except for the evening menu. They gave us refunds for the wine and the breakfasts but as I explained we wanted a nice relaxing stay not yo gave to tell them how to run their catering!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time and effort in posting your review. We were pleased to hear that you found our teams on arrival very helpful and that you appreciated the upgraded room. However, we were very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations in all aspects of your stay on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment.

Our SenSpa has won number of accolades over the years including finalist in world luxury spa awards second time in a row including 2014. We are very proud of SenSpa facilities and certainly is one of the major highlights of the hotel. We were sorry to hear that you found our SenSpa uninspiring.

Your comments regarding dinner service and breakfast service have been shared with our team and we shall address the concerned areas in order to offer outstanding guest experience which we are renowned for.

We wish you well and look forward to welcoming you back for an entirely different and outstanding experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Keep coming back to this spa hotel year on year. The service never fails to exceed expectations. Amazing unpretentious staff, you feel at ease on walking through the door of this beautiful hotel. The Senspa is the best there is. The new Cambium restaurant with its taster menu is stunning, and the restaurant and bar staff can't do enough for you. Lovely petit fours served with coffee, chocolates in the room, it's the little touches that this hotel does so well along with the food and people who work there. Highly recommended!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Thank for taking time and effort in posting your review. As a most valued returning guest, we all were very pleased to read that you had another fantastic stay with us.

Exceeding our guest expectations and offering them a memorable experience is very much what we aim for and we are pleased to learn that we have hit the spot and lived up to our ethos.

Newly launched Cambium Restaurant is seeing some great success and under the guidance of Chef Paul Peters and his team we continuously aim to offer a unique and relaxed dining experience. Our tasting menu is gaining lots of popularity and lots of thoughts and considerations are given to the local ingredients, cooking styles, presentation and portion size where taste is guaranteed.

Our SenSpa has won a number of accolades over the years including finalist in world luxury spa awards two times in a row including 2014. We are very proud to have SenSpa facilities which is one of the highlights of the hotel.

We wish you well and look forward to welcoming you to Careys Manor & SenSpa.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have had the most lovely relaxed and beautiful dinner in Cambium
It was great to see a different style menu which identified the main food ingredient from which the food was then produced.
The service was 5 star, polite, professional and friendly.
The staff appeared professional and took time to talk and engage throughout the whole dining experience.
The food was faultless and we would recommend to everyone,
We were served this evening by Joshua who made us feel at ease and obviously enjoyed his job and working with his restaurant manager, Patrick.
Many thanks and we will definitely return.
Rachel and Darren O'Neil.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr & Mrs. O’Neil,

Thank you very much for taking time and effort to post your review. It is always very pleasant to read that we offered the experience that our guests deserve and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our newly launched Cambium Restaurant is seeing a great success and we continuously aim to offer a unique dining experience at Cambium.

It was really wonderful to hear that you found our teams friendly, professional and that the service you received was of very high standard. All our team members would like to thank you for your kind praise.

Patrick, our newly appointed Restaurant Manager together with Headwaiter Joshua and teams are very committed in their jobs and we are proud to have them in our team.

We wish you well and look forward to welcoming you to Careys Manor & SenSpa.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In the past month I've visited Carey's Manor twice, both trips for 2 nights, one solo and one with a friend.

My initial visit had been the first time i'd stayed in a hotel in my own and I could not have chosen a better place to go. The gentleman who took my bags and showed me around was friendly, funny and gave me a lot of information about the hotel, My Knightswood room was spacious and very comfortable and the room service I had was lovely and came very quickly.

There are several walking trails around the area, the two nearest pubs - The Snakecatcher and The Rose and Crown are definitely worth a visit, as is the bakery in town.

The Senspa is gorgeous and definitely worth the small extra you pay to use it! The tepidarium is beautiful, the perfect place to relax! Personally my favorite parts of the Senspa would be the Crystal Steam room and the storm-type showers, as relaxing as they are entertaining when you're with company!

The treatments I received were well worth the price, The spa staff, lighting and decor of the treatment rooms helped me feel extremely relaxed.

On my Second visit I decided to try out 2 of the restaurants, The first being Le Blaireau - Decor in this restaurant is charming, the staff gave us a very warm welcome and the food was wonderful - especially the salmon!

Cambium was the choice for the second night, a fresh and modern looking restaurant with some of the best food I have tasted in a long time, I could not recommend this restaurant more, its a must do for when visiting Carey's Manor!

I would like to say the biggest thank you to a couple of members of staff who made both of my stays perfect.

Paolo - Made me feel comfortable being on my own the first time, always smiling, friendly and helping me out. He is truly a credit to the wonderful team of staff you have and a true gentleman!

Harry, Jonathan and Jamie (I believe that was his name!) were also fantastic, Harry made us some wonderful cocktails and all were professional, funny and welcoming!

Having read through some of the previous reviews I'd agree Carey's Manor is pricier than some other places, but its well worth it for what you get, the overall atmosphere is friendly and inviting, making you feel far more comfortable which helps with that stress-free spa hotel experience, there are many options for day time activities, The spa and pool exceeded my expectations and the staff go above and beyond to make you feel at home.

I will definitely be returning to Carey's Manor again at some point soon and will be recommending it to everyone! Thank you all for 2 wonderful stays, I look forward to many more!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
We were all thrilled to receive such fantastic praise and we would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Guest comfort and satisfaction is of paramount importance to us and we are pleased to read that we lived up to our ethos.

Our award winning SenSpa facilities is one of the highlights at Careys Manor and we are pleased that you felt totally relaxed after having treatments.

All three Restaurants are unique and have a totally different experience to offer. Cambium is our newly refurbished restaurant and under Chef Paul Peter’s guidance we are seeing great success and continue to offer our guests a unique dining experience.

Your comments have been shared with all of the team and they all, especially Harry, Jonathan, Jamie and Paolo asked me to thank you for such wonderful praise. Along with all other team members they are most certainly an asset to the company and we are very proud to have them in our team.

We wish you well and look forward to many more memorable stays in future.

Thomas & the Team

Been to Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa? Share your experiences!