“Superb as always ~ Everything was as expected ........ and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa

Save Saved
You added Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa to your Saves list
Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Lyndhurst Road, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7RH, England   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE 60 Minute Treatment
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Brockenhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Superb as always ~ Everything was as expected ........ and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Firstly, a very BIG THANK you to all the staff at this superbly personal hotel. They are all simply the best at providing quality, being helpful & making you feel relaxed and at home thoughout our stay. We had a super short stay at this hotel which we will never forget, and for all the right reason. We dined in the hotels own Manor restaurant and I must say it's probably one of the best meals that I have had with my family away from home ....... Superb in every way ( Service & Quality of food ) .

Also my family & I would like to make an extra special thank you to Dawn at reservation who made our own individual stay just that extra bit special ......... Well we did get married here 28 years ago. Enjoy the Thorntons Dawn & keep up the excellent work .

Well done too you all & many thanks again

Phil, Wendy & The Girls

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have always loved the hotel and the spa at Careys Manor. We have been visiting for many years; it is consistently of a high standard and we are always confident that we will receive a fantastic and restful few days! It has clearly been updated recently but without losing its identity or charm.
FOOD
The food is superb in The Manor Restaurant and the service was immaculate with an especial mention to Anna who was so incredibly attentive and helpful, but with a fabulous sense of humour!
The food is also incredible at the adjacent Le Blaireau French restaurant where we could also use our db&b allowance (which is of a generous size). We had a fantastic evening at Le Blaireau and the food was extraordinarily good.
ROOMS
We were in a suite with a terrace looking out into the gardens. The room was lovely and very very clean.
SPA
For me, this is the best spa I have ever visited. It is beautiful and very relaxing and all the staff are approachable and gentle. The treatments are not cheap, but always top notch and I leave feeling as though I've had a 10 day holiday on a tropical beach!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Worthing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a weekend stay at Carey's Manor and spa treatments. Our room was pleasant but the bathroom was tired and worn with a very cheap plastic toilet seat and a horrible plastic bath mat (like your great Granny would have had!) - I was quite surprised as I thought it would be a little more plush. However, the meal at the restaurant was absolutely superb and the staff were very attentive and helpful. Pianist was excellent.

The spa is nice but the facial I had was not relaxing as I had hoped, I think 'invigorating' may have been a better description which disappointed me as I had been looking forward to being pampered. However, my husband had a massage which was excellent. The gym was really good and a friendly instructor was available.

The hanging baskets were stunning and the seating area in the garden was a bonus.

The hotel felt quite commercial to us which surpised us for the New Forest. At no time did we feel like treasured guests - maybe we were expecting too much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent sta to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. We were married here all those years ago. The service was brilliant, Dawn was especially helpful. The food at the restaurant was amazing, and the pianist created a lovely atmosphere. We will be visiting again soon

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Careys Manor for a 2 night stay to celebrate a birthday. Overall, we had a fantastic time and the spa was a highlight. However, I would only recommend the hotel if on a spa break as there are other hotels in the area which would provide a better dining experience/ambiance for less money. Overall, we spent close to £1000 over the 2 days which included 2x accommodation, 1x manor restaurant  meal(inc wine),2x Thai meals (1 lunch, 2x glasses of champagne 1 dinner inc wine) and access to the spa including 2 massages and a mud treatment for 2.

On reflection, I'm not sure that i would spend that sort of money again at Careys. For apr £1000 you could get a couple of nights in the Ritz or similar luxury hotels. I would have no hesitation about returning for a spa day though.

Positives

*The spa facilities are truly incredible and are the main selling point of the hotel. We stayed at the spa from about 10 until 6 and could have easily stayed longer.

*We received some free chocolates and a birthday message. This was very much appreciated. We also received an upgrade but for the amount we spent, I wouldn't have been impressed with a lower quality room.

*Staff in the restaurants were attentive and polite. The food was nice but not exceptional. I've had better for the price but we still had some lovely meals and I think some of the more negative reviews have been a bit ott.

*The process of booking online was very slick.

*There were weddings on but we did not feel disturbed- the hotel must have invested a lot in soundproofing.

+Having looked at trip advisor, it does look like the hotel has taken account of feedback from guests. For example, some reviews mentioned guests sneaking into the hydrotherapy area. Now there are electronic wrist bands.

Negatives
*Like others have said, the decor in the hotel is quite tired. It is harsh to describe it as a travel lodge as some reviewers have but guests should not assume to restaurants/communal areas will reflect the period of the manor house.

Our check-in wasn't great. We were waiting for a while and received no information about breakfast, the area, the three restaurants etc. Also my key card locked me out of my room on my second day. This would have been fine but i was using the spa facilities and had to go to reception dripping wet in my robe. While it is fine to walk around in a robe in the spa area, I stood out like a sore thumb in reception and felt quite uncomfortable and cold. There was no apology for the inconvenience.

On reviewing my bill, I think the hotel doubled the tip I left in one of the restaurants. I didn't query it at the time but should have done so it is slightly unfair of me to mention it as the hotel didn't have the opportunity to rectify the invoice.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, not cheap but understandably so. Everything from room to service was brilliant.
We really felt looked after, by everyone from start to finish , a great place to spend a few days.
The three restaurants have us a brilliant choice of quality food without the need to search it out locally

• Stayed August 2013
TLyonShaw, Manager at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay. I am delighted we exceeded expectations, and made you feel relaxed from start to finish. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thomas & the Team.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went for a five day stay to run away from the rat race. The hotel staff couldn't do enough to accommodate every weird and wacky whim we threw at them. The air conditioned room was comfortable, a fridge was provided at our request and we could step out onto our enclosed garden patio. The spa is spectacular with the hydrotherapy area and the pool and saunas are well maintained. Despite the hotel being full we didn't feel that the spa was crowded and could still enjoy all the facilities. Most of all without exception, the staff are cheerful, helpful and are an example in how a well run hotel should be managed.

Room Tip: ground floor with patio doors onto garden