“A Bargain” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Watersplash Hotel to your Saves list
The Watersplash Hotel
and 1 more site!
The Watersplash Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Rise, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZP, England   |
Ranked #12 of 12 hotels in Brockenhurst
UK
“A Bargain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My friend and I booked a last minute night away in the New Forest for ourselves, the blind girl she cares for and the dog!!!!! The Watersplash Hotel is a little old fashioned with regards to decor, but the service was good and all the staff were very helpful. We had a room which was plenty big enough for the three/four of us and it was clean and airy. The location of the hotel was excellent for walking to the pubs and shops in Brockenhurst and the gardens were lovely, however, if we'd wanted to use the pool we'd have been disappointed. The evening meal we had in the hotel was ok, but a little on the pricey side. Breakfast the next day was very good with lean bacon and nice sausages. We though that apart from the evening meal it was good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have read a few of the reviews and feel they are a little harsh. This is not swanky boutique hotel or gastro pub. This is what English hotels used to be like. Friendly, understated and a little chaotic. The fixtures are indeed dated and the grouting is not as white as when it was new but the place is clean enough and tidy. My host was friendly and we chatted about motor boats in the relaxing bar. The dining room is spacious and the food is decent. There were a few dogs including the owner's Spaniel who met me on arrival, sitting in the receptionists chair. (Nice dog, useless receptionist.) For those with dogs it would be ideal, but the Ritz it aint. I had an excellent sleep in a spacious room decorated in an early 80's style. Reminded me a bit of staying at a London club. I felt I was getting a pleasant stay and a bit of nostalgia thrown in. I loved it.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2 which had a view onto the garden. Very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I still feel very embarrassed for booking this place, even if I have plenty of excuses.
We planned a long weekend in Dorset. A little paradise, which we booked, happened to be double booked for the first night, and, although we were offered absolutely amazing deal there, we still had to find a hotel for that night. I suggested: why not New Forest, it’s beautiful and will give us a good break on the way to Dorset. The trouble was, that on that weekend everybody decided to go to New Forest, plus a few deals on Groupon were on, so, everything decent and popular was fully booked.
I was desperately searching on Laterooms and elsewhere for one night stay the night before our departure. The Watersplash was at the top of the list with quite an appealing description and 2 very positive reviews (now they have 4!!!), but they wanted 2 nights booking. I thought:’ What can go wrong!’; and booked one night stay in their 4 poster room on the hotel online booking at the price of £67 pp/pn. In the morning I phoned the hotel to confirm the booking as I have not received a reply from them. Receptionist confirmed the booking, asked if I wanted to pay deposit and when I said that we’d pay on arrival, she did not mind.
We arrived in Brockenhurst quite late at about 6pm. First impression: it’s not easy to find parking space on the hotel grounds. For such a large hotel they can squeeze hardly a dozen of cars at a very big push. At the reception we were greeted by what he looked like a hotel manager/owner. He confirmed the booking, but it was not a 4 poster bed room. As it was quite late, we decided to go ahead and paid straight away WITHOUT SEEING THE ROOM, he took the payment very eagerly and led us to our room. Oh, btw, if you want to pay by American Express (as they have their sign displayed), you’ll be disappointed, as you’ll be told that they don’t take American Express. When we saw our room, the expression on our faces said it all to the guy, who could not wait to leave. With desperation in my voice I reminded to him that I booked a 4 poster room, he said quickly that it was not available. When I asked him, if they really charge the price which we paid for the room, where he took us, he confirmed it very firmly. The impression was: we were not the only ones who asked him these questions. So, seeing our disappointment, very quickly holding on to our cash in his pocket he left us be.
Now – the room: old, small, poorly furnished, with very little taste, in the desperate need of renovation, deep clean and, frankly, basic care, unfriendly, lonely and unwelcoming. When we lifted a bed cover – an old stained dark green bedstead with no valance cried at us – I am neglected, old carpets are stained and horrible. When they painted the walls last, they even did not bother to move the wardrobe away from the wall and painted around it leaving paint traces on the sides. The bathroom – you need footwear to go into the bath, very old and stained, bathmat won’t help, as it is also very old, no disinfectant will help there either, old lino floor is dirty. They clean it, but, it looks like, with the same broom and a bucket of water for all the rooms on the floor.
Breakfast – again, as this place lacks any kind of direction, is quite disorganised. They offer a buffet, but, because there are not that many guests staying (in the heat of the season that is!), the trays were empty and they were filling them in dribs and drabs – if you had your sausages, you’d have to come back for bacon, then go back for baked beans and so on. Easy solution would be in this case – just serve it to a table on request. The breakfast/dining room had a leak – yellow stains on the ceiling, they removed a Styrofoam tile and left old pipes with insulation hanging out.
Staff is generally polite, but with that scared look in their eyes, kind of saying – don’t take it out on me, I only work here. They are, obviously, used to constant complaints, which we witnessed.
In the evening we went to Lyndhurst, on our return, the level crossing only 2 minutes away from the hotel was closed for road works, diversion took us about 40 minutes. That just added insult to injury. It was already dark, when we went up to our room, the side corridor where we stayed did not even had a light on, not even a light switch. If you are unfortunate enough to stay there, do have a torch with you.
Summary: this is the worst place I stayed in and a rip off as well. I stayed in hostels, which were better looked after. How could AA have awarded this place 2*, I really don’t know, would be interesting to find out as well as why they are allowed to display American Express sign when they refuse to take it. I definitely will not trust this ratings again as well as I will not trust Laterooms reviews and descriptions. They would not even allow to leave a review on their website as I booked it directly with the hotel. I am generously giving this place ONE star rating, which goes to the receptionist, who did not take deposit and gave us a chance to come and see it first. There is nothing good about this place, we could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brockenhurst hotels

South of England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This hotel is shabby, stained and completely overpriced. We stayed here with several friends attending a party and I would consider us all fairly well travelled and used to varying quality of hotels. We all found it appalling. One of my friends found a hair in her breakfast - yeuk! Take a look at the website and you will see no photos of the bedrooms in the gallery: after staying there I know why. The rooms are dreadful. You have been warned

Room Tip: There aren't any
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Witham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was my 1st trip to the New Forest, a few days away from work with Bobby (my Jack Russell). This hotel took me back to my 1980s childhood, but not in a fashionable retro way. Besides bed linen, towels and telly, everything else in my single room was broken or stained. Room was clean, but not serviced at all during my 2 night stay.
The AA pet friendly guide states the hotel has been in the same family for 40 years. 40 years ago it probably was a high quality hotel, but now, Robin, the proprietor, needs to either spend around £40k on a refurbishment or slash his room rates by more than half, otherwise he's bound to go bust (unless mugs like me continue to book last minute without checking on here first!). Only 8/9 of the 23 rooms were occupied during my stay (counting breakfast tables). I was charged £85 per night for a single room! I'm not snobby, I just would expect some sprinkling of luxury for that money. My room was worth around £35 p/n, and in that price bracket it would be excellent, he'd probably fill the hotel too.

Food - Breakfast was very good, but dinner was an even worse rip off. The shabby, drab dining room with mediocre food, and menu with only a few choices was charging top London prices. I had a starter as my main (no vegetarian main course options available, though on checking out I was told there were - pity they weren't on the menu and that the waitress didn't know about them) I was charged £15 for half a dozen factory made (likely frozen) goats cheese and chutney tartlets with a handful of salad leaves. Food is supposedly local but doesn't carry the New Forest Marque logo for food and products produced in the New Forest, which leaves me suspicious as it is well used elsewhere. I highly recommend eating out at The Rose & Crown 10 minutes walk away, food, service and atmosphere make R&C excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better value
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Set in a great location, it is initially apparent why anyone who hasn't stayed here before would want to give it a try.
But from its dated interior, small bedrooms and dated decor - the whole place is crying out for a refit.
The bedroom we stayed in was small, as was the double bed (my feet were hanging over the edge of the bed and I'm not even 6 foot tall!). The room itself wasn't dirty, but old-fashioned, stained and looked like it hadn't seen new paint since the 1970's. I half expected a Betamax video recorder in the room instead of a DVD player or a satellite tv box! (there was neither).
The food in the restaurant however is fairly decent, but VERY overpriced. It's no wonder there are no prices on the menu.
I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Pretty grotty. Photos on website do not match the dated, poorly decorated reality. Overpriced, even allowing for prime New Forest location. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Enough charaters..?

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Watersplash Hotel? Share your experiences!