“2 star hotel 4 star prices - you DON'T get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Watersplash Hotel

The Watersplash Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brockenhurst
The Watersplash Hotel
You added The Watersplash Hotel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Rise, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZP, England   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Witham, England, United Kingdom
“2 star hotel 4 star prices - you DON'T get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was my 1st trip to the New Forest, a few days away from work with Bobby (my Jack Russell). This hotel took me back to my 1980s childhood, but not in a fashionable retro way. Besides bed linen, towels and telly, everything else in my single room was broken or stained. Room was clean, but not serviced at all during my 2 night stay.
The AA pet friendly guide states the hotel has been in the same family for 40 years. 40 years ago it probably was a high quality hotel, but now, Robin, the proprietor, needs to either spend around £40k on a refurbishment or slash his room rates by more than half, otherwise he's bound to go bust (unless mugs like me continue to book last minute without checking on here first!). Only 8/9 of the 23 rooms were occupied during my stay (counting breakfast tables). I was charged £85 per night for a single room! I'm not snobby, I just would expect some sprinkling of luxury for that money. My room was worth around £35 p/n, and in that price bracket it would be excellent, he'd probably fill the hotel too.

Food - Breakfast was very good, but dinner was an even worse rip off. The shabby, drab dining room with mediocre food, and menu with only a few choices was charging top London prices. I had a starter as my main (no vegetarian main course options available, though on checking out I was told there were - pity they weren't on the menu and that the waitress didn't know about them) I was charged £15 for half a dozen factory made (likely frozen) goats cheese and chutney tartlets with a handful of salad leaves. Food is supposedly local but doesn't carry the New Forest Marque logo for food and products produced in the New Forest, which leaves me suspicious as it is well used elsewhere. I highly recommend eating out at The Rose & Crown 10 minutes walk away, food, service and atmosphere make R&C excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better value
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Set in a great location, it is initially apparent why anyone who hasn't stayed here before would want to give it a try.
But from its dated interior, small bedrooms and dated decor - the whole place is crying out for a refit.
The bedroom we stayed in was small, as was the double bed (my feet were hanging over the edge of the bed and I'm not even 6 foot tall!). The room itself wasn't dirty, but old-fashioned, stained and looked like it hadn't seen new paint since the 1970's. I half expected a Betamax video recorder in the room instead of a DVD player or a satellite tv box! (there was neither).
The food in the restaurant however is fairly decent, but VERY overpriced. It's no wonder there are no prices on the menu.
I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Pretty grotty. Photos on website do not match the dated, poorly decorated reality. Overpriced, even allowing for prime New Forest location. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Enough charaters..?

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked in here due to its location next to the nursing home we were visiting. Explaining the situation the reception were quite flexible in check-in times and seemed friendly on the phone. We asked what the cost was for our double room and were told £69 (or was it 79??) which we thought was very decent. Our room was pretty dated and we could not for the life of us get the door to lock. We reported this to reception who explained again how it works – still no luck, I’m certain I’m not that stupid and it was broken. Still we had no valuables in there so we went out for dinner leaving it unlocked. We slept OK in the end despite a relatively loud generator or something outside.
When we got up in the morning, we went down for breakfast. It was buffet style and we were one of the last guests (though still well within the times given for breakfast) to find one hash brown left to share between us. We had to order bacon separately as they had run out of that too but no offer of more potato. Never mind, the food was fairly decent.
So we had a pretty average stay, the room not being very nice, but for the price we couldn’t say a lot. We then came to check out and were charged double what we expected!!! When we queried this, we were told the price quoted was per person?!? At no point did they say this over the phone and what hotel in the UK quotes the single person price when you ask for a double room for two people anyway? Absolutely disgusting tactic and having now gone from an average cheap bed and breakfast, it now became an absolute outrageously over priced, not even very nice hotel. Why anyone chooses to stay here for that price is well beyond me – we would have stayed to argue but just wanted to get home given the previous days events.
Steer well clear, there are much nicer places for half the price around here, we know from experience!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Location is fab however for the price the rooms are poor and generally could be a lot cleaner room not even hoovered and all very tired. When I bought this to attention of hotelier I had flowers and room cleaned however would of preferred a clean room of acceptable standard to start. Daughters room was also poor regarding cleanliness and this was not corrected

• Stayed August 2012
Reading
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My family and i stayed last weekend for two nights as attending a wedding nearby. Found the whole hotel extemely dated and run down. A musty smell overtook thre bedroom,so much so i couldnt sleep. Breakfast was fair but was slightly put off when looking around at many stained or missing ceiling tiles,sticky carpet and sweaty windows. Bar prices way too high,as if being made up,every round was different. The whole place needs updating,for the cost we were very dissapointed. The main guy (owner maybe) really welcoming, but sadly the hotel didnt match up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
suffolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed for one night last weekend. We did leave everything to the last minute and literally booked whilst sitting in the car in Brockenhurst at 7:30pm in the evening. The staff were helpful and pleasant, but overall I felt we had paid a lot of money for food & accommodation which was very tired the whole hotel needed a complete facelift. It was very reminiscent of staying in a seaside B&B in 1980's. Our family room was on the top floor and I can certainly say that I had a good night’s sleep and it was very quiet. The room we stayed in was very clean, but extremely old fashioned and the bathroom facilities poor. We ate in the hotel, due to our late arrival and did have a meal which was nothing special but adequate. The breakfast in the morning was very enjoyable. Please Watersplash get rid of the chintzy curtains, ornaments everywhere and give the whole place a lick of paint, then I won’t feel like I’ve been ripped off when paying the £200+ for a meal and overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
The Pig
The Pig
#7 of 12 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 stars 991 reviews

Been to The Watersplash Hotel? Share your experiences!