“Lovely dog-friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balmer Lawn

You added Balmer Lawn to your Saves list
Balmer Lawn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lyndhurst Rd, New Forest National Park, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZB, England   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely dog-friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Wonderful old hotel but with all mod cons. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We had a beautifully furnished room at the end of the building which was lovely and quiet (apart from the wind howling!!). Truly dog-friendly - pooch had a cuddle at reception and there was a bowl and mat waiting for her in our room. Although you cannot take dogs into the restaurant area there were some tables laid out for the dog-owners in the lounge for breakfast which was a bonus. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The other half went to the pool on the Saturday afternoon but it was packed and he only stayed 10 minutes as it and the jacuzzi were so busy. The bar area is cosy with a real-look fire and comfy chairs. The hotel is 10 minutes walk to the village with a variety of pubs and restaurants, but take a torch! Fantastic walks straight from the hotel into the New Forest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you, and of course Maple, back to the hotel in the future!

K Birrell - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Beaconsfield, Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Organised a reunion for 28 people at Balmer Lawn in November. It was a complete success, with unlversal praise for the hotel from a group not the easiest to please. The accommodation, food and service were really excellent. Throughout our stay the staff were helpful and approachable and contributed greatly to a memorable occasion. The hotel even dealt generously with a last minute cancellation due to a serious medical problem. We would certainly have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: We had "Forest View" rooms which were excellent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review on your recent function held with us.

I am delighted to hear that all your group enjoyed the evening and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great staff, lovely atmosphere and very welcoming.

We returned for a lovely weekend in this historic hotel and were made to feel very welcome. Despite the awful weather everyone was happy and smiling and took good care of us. Bar service was prompt and pleasant, room service arrived very quickly and was of very good quality.

We had a restful night despite torrential rain and dozed happily in a lovely room not far from the Saturday night pianist on the baby grand, it's muted lullabies sending my happily into slumber.

The room was a good size and clean with adequate furniture. Linen and towels were spotless.

Gym and pool were lovely, very clean and not very busy. Jacuzzi is well worth remembering your costume for.

Breakfast was divine - everything you can think of with the option of a la carte as well. Hot items were served buffet style which, if you read my other reviews, I am not always a fan of, but here it is done properly - everything is well cooked, fresh and delightful.

We will certainly return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the awful weather!

I do hope that we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, hopefully with better weather this time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Took the family here for a few days. The setting is great. The hotel is very nicely kept. The room was ok, nothing special but it accomodated 2 x adults, a 12 yr old, a 9 yr old and an 11month old quite happily. The food was superb and the service really was fantastic. Every member of staff we came across could not have been more welcoming. You got the feeling they would do anything for you. The food was fantastic and we would certainly go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KBirrell, General Manager at Balmer Lawn, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn Hotel.

We do have a wide selection of family bedrooms and suites, to suit families of all sizes and age groups. Our 'Look Before You Book' facility on our website helps you chose the exact room for your requirements. You can have your children sharing your room, or have an adjoining bunk bed room and just share your bathroom, or for older children, and parents that want more privacy, we have family suites where the children have their own bathroom too.

I'm delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay with us, and that we may get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Amesbury, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Balmer Lawn in August to attend a friend's wedding and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement. The rooms cleanliness left a lot to be desired and being a bit mischievious I wrote grumpy faces in all the surfaces that were covered with a layer of dust. This included both bed side tables, the dressing room table, chairs.....you get the picture. I also took a picture of only what can be described as green sludge(if you've seen the film Flubber you will understand) on one of the radiators, I hate to think what that was! (I won't post it here as small children may find the image distressing!!!) As a treat we decided to have breakfast in the room....Hmmm. Firstly we noticed there was no milk for the tea/coffee which the waiter went to fetch. When he returned we noticed there was no butter for the toast...off he went again. When we took the cover off the breakfast we counted a total of ten baked beans...talk about pushing the boat out!! I very rarely complain but felt compelled to fill out the customer satisfaction form which, to the Balmer Lawn's credit, they did respond to albeit to offer another night at the Balmer Lawn (at full price) but in a nicer room and a free botle of sparkling wine....whooop, whoop.
Glad we didn't pay full price as the rooms were discounted for the wedding but still nearly two hundred pounds a night hence the reason for not wanting to return

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I was disappointed to read your review with regards to your stay with us 3 months ago.

I had hoped that our reply to your Guest Survey Form would have explained fully how we got it 'wrong' in certain aspects of your stay with us, along with our sincere apologies. I would have been more than happy to discuss your continued discontent after receiving this letter if you had got in touch with me. I find private communication far more beneficial than on an online forum.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay at the Balmer Lawn these last few days. Food was really good, good choice of wine and the staff were all so pleasant, makes such a change to see smiling faces and genuinely seemed to like their guests. Only slight criticism were the bedside cabinets in room 9 which are very badly scuffed but otherwise a lovely room with great views and all very clean. WELL DONE TO THE BALMER LAWN a real pleasure.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your break with us and my apologies with regards to the scuffed bedside tables, I will go and assess these next week when the room is not in use, and replace / repair as necessary.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at The Balmer Lawn last year we decided to go back again this year to celebrate our son's birthday, I booked over the phone and asked for a family room for two nights, I was given a price and thought this was the total. I also booked some bikes for my family for two days, and again was quoted a price.
The price given for the room was for a single night and the amount quoted for the three bikes was an individual price, neither were for the full amount.
Like most families we have a budget, and I feel that we have been completely mislead.
We won't be going back again.

• Stayed November 2012
I was disappointed to read your review with regards to your recent stay with us at the Balmer Lawn.

At the Balmer Lawn we believe in transparency and honesty, hence our new 'Look Before You Book' feature so guests can actually pick a specific bedroom, out of a choice of 53! With this in mind, we really would not be out to 'mug you'. I understand that it is hard to take all the information in over the telephone and this is why we confirm everything in writing to you. Having looked at your reservation I can see that your confirmation, which included the price per night and the bike hire charges, was sent out to you 24 hours after you made the booking.

I do hope that you will re consider and give us another chance in the future.

K Birrell - General Manager

Been to Balmer Lawn? Share your experiences!