“Wonderful 3 night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Bude
Kingswinford, West Midlands
“Wonderful 3 night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed at Bude Haven in the middle of April. We really enjoyed our stay, Sue & John gave us very warm welcome.
The rooms (we brought my 90year old mum with us for a short break) were very comfortable, clean & warm, against the April chill, & spacious. John carried our cases upstairs for us, always welcome. Breakfast, served by Sue & cooked by John, was plentiful & varied with more toast & tea/coffee if required. We will recommend to all our friends & family.
Sue & John try really hard to make everyone welcome, nothing is too much trouble. Yes, there is more work to do on the entrance but this they are aware of & make-overs take time. Rome was not built in a day. Well done to you both! We look forward to our return stay soon, perhaps to try the hot tub.

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 2 & 3 are all good rooms in which to stay. All rooms are freshly decorated.

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I agree with some of the other feedbacks; the first impression I had was that as soon as we went inside, the place (especially the entry area and the 'lobby') looked dingy and dirty, and there was a definite bad smell. It was just overcrowded with personal stuff and didn't look professional. Maybe they thought this would make it look 'warm' or 'friendly', but it is just overcrowded and not the right look. The whole downstairs area (incl. reception, lobby and bar) look very dated and could definitely do with a refurb.
Having said that, the room was nice; tastefully decorated, modern, very clean and tidy, and very nice. My partner and I were both very positively surprised with the vast contrast between the entry area / lobby / reception and the bedroom.
There was nice, tangeriney-smelling shower gel in a dispenser (rather than the 'goodies' you usually have in hotels) and the bathroom was clean and nice too but no bath, just a very spacious shower cubicle (we were in room 1).
We stayed for 2 nights and the breakfast was tasty, freshly cooked, although my partner's 'full English' was a bit on the small side. The second morning there was a bit more breakfast (even though we didn't say anything).
John and Susan were friendly and nice. They have only taken over the place 2 years ago as we found out from another guest, and hopefully they will refurbish the downstairs area soon...
The downstairs ladies' bathroom was awful; the worst decor I have ever seen, with pictures of half-naked actors in cheap frames, and awful plastic flowers, as well as some junk. I only went in there once...
Bude was lovely, and we had a great time, thankfully the beds were comfortable and the room was lovely, even though it had the smallest telly I have ever seen. That could do with updating too at some point. We went through KGB Deals, hence I would rate the value as 'very good'. I would have been disappointed if we paid full price, as you would expect more from AA ****.

Room Tip: Room 1 was quiet, nice and roomy.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Bude Haven and I feel rotten writing this review. But as I rely a lot on Trip Advisor now I feel it's only fit to share my hotel experiences with others. And I must point out that I am shocked at the reviews that people have written. There is nothing acceptable about this guest house. I was equally shocked to see that AA has rated it 4*.
I did not expect a palace but clean and tidy I do expect. I am a firm believer of first impressions and my impression on walking up to the front door was "How messy!". On walking into the place the entrance/hallway was so dingy and dark. The owners area was separated by a child's door gate and from what I could see also looked very untidy - not very professional. We were greeted by John the owner who seemed really nice, so I asked about the bar. However I already knew at that point that I wouldn't be drinking or eating anything from there. Whilst we stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, we did not have breakfast there. Waves bistro in town provided a nice set breakfast in a really clean environment. Sorry John but I have been brought up to have a clean home otherwise people wouldn't want to drink a cuppa tea at my house... The whole place had a really old/doggy smell.
On entering our room 9, the first thing that hit us was the strong smell of the shower curtain. Whilst it was clean the smell was awful. We had to keep spraying the bathroom with my body spray and keep the door shut whilst we were not in there. Once in the bathroom the door had to be kept open as the smell was so unbearable.
Bude itself was a nice quiet town and luckily we found a couple of nice clean restaurants to eat at. We fully enjoyed Bude itself but our biggest let down was The Bude Haven. We definitely will not be returning...

Room Tip: Definitely not Room 9
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stopped in the Bude Haven on sunday 29th of january for one night with family.We had two rooms,one twin and one double and overall a pleasant place to stay was found.For a tariff of just over a hundred and ten pounds for both rooms plus breakfast this b and b offers both comfort and value and the breakfast was more than adequate with choices to boot.My only minus points were:the lack of service at 10.15pm on the sunday night when a nightcap or two was so craved,the rooms were a little too warm,but the climate certainly meant the temp being raised i am sure,noise from adjoining rooms a little loud,biscuits in room were dated end of november 11,and finally being 6ft 4 the single beds were too narrow and short...saying all that this place was suitable enough for a cosy stay in good location with friendly staff if only we could find them on the night!!!!!!!..

Room Tip: away from family guests..
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed at The Bude Haven Hotel for two nights, husband and I stayed in one room and 20 year old son stayed in room next door. We were really unlucky with the weather (cold and wet) but both rooms were nice and cosy. We slept very well as the beds were comfy and the hotel is in a quiet area. John and Susan were very friendly. We were pleased we chose to eat in both nights as the food was tasty and the veggie in our party was pleasantly surprised by the choice. Overall we were glad we chose to stay here, just wish the weather had been better!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
BudeHaven, Owner at Bude Haven, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for the very kind recommendation. We are glad you enjoyed your stay despite the weather.
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I booked the Bude Haven for our wedding anniversary as we got married in Bude 8 years ago. The reviews, in general were quite good. The internet picture of the B&B (well, actually, its more like a small hotel) made it look ideal for the purpose because it looked as if it stood alone. When we arrived, it was very easy to find, parking was not a problem if the few spaces they have in their drive are full. The building looks great, but its actually on a junction of two quiet roads, and not at all what I envisaged from the photo on-line. The greeting we received was nice and friendly, and we were generally impressed when walking up the stairs to room 5, where we were booked. I had no idea, and its my own fault for not checking, what the view was like from that room, but on entering it I have to admit I was disappointed with the view out of the side of the house looking onto an adjacent property. I suppose that I nonchantly wanted to look out and see the sea, (or at least the town) but in actuality, there are not that many hotels and B&B's in that area that have an unobstructed view of the sea, so its unfair to penalise this guest house/small hotel on that score. Suffice to say I was disappointed, and bringing it to the managers attention would not have made the view any better. My strong advice to any prospective guest would be to make sure, if view is important, to ask for a room at the front, not room 5! The room itself was clean, quite small but cosy. The en suite which again (in my opinion) was on the small side, had a bath with shower over it, not a dedicated stand alone shower, which we would have preferred, and would have made using the toilet less cramped. I agree with JanAtkins that the owners living area with a child gate in the open doorway by reception did not look impressive, and appeared 'out of place'. However, wandering into the bar area and dining rooms made up for that, in a quaint sort of way, because the bar in particular looked inviting with comfortable sofa's. We only stayed for one night, so we did not get to try out the evening meal, which looked impressive from the menu, and I note other reviewers state the food is nice. The breakfast was adequate, although having just one sausage and one rasher of bacon and one egg, for me, was not really enough, but there was plenty of other alternatives available, with fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, etc. Overall, since the room cost us £84.oo for the night including breakfast , I have to say that it was too expensive, considering that the peak season had passed. We have stayed in similar establishments for less, and were more than happy all round. The hospitality room tray was adequate, but ours had no biscuits, unfortunately, and I had to advise the owner of a problem in the en suite, which he noted and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Now perhaps its just me being old fashioned, but the nature of the problem was such that we were inconvenienced, and it would have been nice if we had been offered some sort of consolation, but sadly we were'nt. I also think it would benefit from a 'spruce up', particularly inside, but its interesting to read how diverse some of the reviews are, and sometimes one feels mean to find fault where others seem to have loved their stay. Nice people, outwardly nice property in appearence, but sadly I don't think we would return.

Room Tip: Not room 5 if you want something interesting to look out at!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed here for a long weekend and absolutely loved it. The room was clean and very comfortable, the food delicious, and the proprietors very friendly and accomodating. The building was one of the original Bude houses (they have a picture of it when nothing else was built up around it) and is an older building, but it has character and charm. It is situated in a quiet neighborhood, but is a short walk from town, the beaches, the coastal path, and the gold course. Parking is free as well. A nice touch - Susan remembers your breakfast order and John makes American pancakes for breakfast upon request! They are well-traveled and knowledgable about the local area as well and will sit and chat with you over drinks, making this a very homey place. I would definitely return if I get the opportunity!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bude Haven? Share your experiences!