“The Dreadful Dreadnought.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

You added Dreadnought Hotel to your Saves list
Dreadnought Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leny Road, Callander, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park FK17 8AN, Scotland   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Scottish Borders
“The Dreadful Dreadnought.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Stayed only one night at the Dreadnought (thank goodness). On arrival we were met by a member of staff whose teeth were black rotten and this was a bad impression straight away. On going to our bedroom my mum and I had to step over dirty sheets lying in the passage outside the laundry and this was 5.45pm. Our room was basic to say the least and the carpet was all marks and nail clippings and hair. It was disgusting and there was a massive black cobweb on the ceiling. The doors were all broken, the cups in the room were all chipped and also dirty. There was a shower but I certainly would not have gone into it. The evening meal was so bad the couple sitting beside us left and went across the road for a chippy. I never ate a bite until it came to dessert and I chose cheese and biscuits as I thought they could not spoil them, but they had the nerve to charge me £1.95 EXTRA for them, and it was the only thing I could eat. The bar was filthy with broken and torn chairs and no entertainment at all. We all complained but the staff seemed to think there was nothing wrong with the place and were not interested and made sure they kept out of our way. We asked to see the general manager but he never turned up. Breakfast was very poor and also cold and toast was burnt. When we left nobody was on reception at all in the morning, I am sure they kept out of our way. We were so glad to get out of the place. I think they should re-name it the "Dreadful" hotel, which I believe the locals already call it, as do most of the coach drivers. I would NEVER go back.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2008
" Please be assured that we do take your comments most seriously and I have discussed your observations in detaill with my Duty Managers', Housekeeping, Kitchen and Restaurant' Teams. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments as these will aid us with staff training and continued improvements. I sincerely hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Dreadnought in the future."

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
east sussex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

The Dreadnought Hotel is a basic, no frills hotel that really could benifit from a major internal facelift in our opinion. The rooms were clean as was the bath,basin and toilet. However the curtains were hanging by their string and none of our windows opened. The food was quite bland and although plenteful was not something you antisipated with joy! We only found one member of staff who smiled and seemed freindly although in general the staff were polite. Having read reviews before we went, (but had already booked) we were quite anxious, however it wasn't as bad as we thought it sounded although as previously said it really could do with some quite major refurbishment in our opinion.

• Liked — The view from the window
  • Disliked — Blank walls not ictures, very bland
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thankyou for your comments which will help us to focus on areas' of our Hotel which may need attention. Please be assured we do take them most seriously.
Moray, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

Having read all the previous reviews we were more than a bit apprehensive as to what we would find. We had a lovely big room on the second floor -room no 18. Although the furniture is a bit dated and past it, it was clean and the beds were comfy. The view out of the big bay window more than made up for the state of the tired furnishings. The breakfast was more than adequate, and yes, if I wanted to be picky then I could list all the faults with the dining room and its decor, but the food was well cooked and served promptly. All the staff were friendly. The entertainment at night was not to our taste, keyboard and singer (we are in our 40's and were the youngest people there) so we headed up the street to the Waverley Hotel where 77 were playing - now they were suberb. The Half Crown also had very good folk music on the Sunday. Dinner at night was good, well cooked and plenty to eat. What made this holiday was the surroundings, superb. The Hotel was good and we will stay here again. It was excellent value for money. Where else can you stay for £66, per couple, per night, not per person, for dinner bed and breakfast?

• Liked — Quiet hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
durham uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Dreadnought for a three night all-inclusive stay booked through Easybreak.

We found the room comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful, the food lovely.

The hotel is not and does not try to be a five-star establishment., but it offers great value for money and we feel that some other reviewers do not take this into account.

We have stayed before and will be staying again.

Paul and Rosie Conroy.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

Following a recent 2 night stay (myself, my son and my mum and dad), here are some of my thoughts which I have summed up in bad/good points:-

BAD POINTS: inadequate carpark, musty smell throughout building and faded appearance; poor quality furniture with some in need of repair/replacement; poor welcome; battery missing from TV remote; dim lighting in room; no biscuits for tea/coffee in room; very basic breakfast; dining room tables too close to self service area. Furthermore, our internet rate was meant to include tea & scones on arrival however the staff had no knowledge of this.

GOOD POINTS: The hotel is in a superb location and I was pleased with the view from our window; I myself had a large room (though my parents was small); the bathroom, though not having a shower, was clean and had plenty hot water and nice toiletries; the evening meal though not what you'd call fine dining, was decent fare; staff were good at returning an item left behind.

Overall the standard is reflected in the price. There is a neglected feel about the place and sometimes the staff were nowhere to be seen. There was no warm welcome (indeed our rooms were not ready at first and had to come back), and on checking out there was no one there. The hotel is in need of total refurbishment and would benefit from a standard decor applied to all the bedrooms. Furthermore I feel there is room for improvement regards to service and the food. On the whole, ok as a base for touring the beautiful area but not advisable as a romantic or birthday treat type of break

• Liked — it's location and view from bedroom
  • Disliked — the awful smell and run down interior
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

What a disastrous hotel!! My room was unclean, covered in cobwebs, no shower, no telephone or hairdryer and the bathroom faced directly onto the street so had to have the curtains drawn when ever I wished to utilise the toilet or bath. A street light was also directly outside my window making it difficult to get a good nights sleep and the windows seemed to let in all the noise of the road. My kettle also kept crackling at me as the connection was dodgy and I got a bad neck watching the TV on the ceiling!! Lots of creaky floorboards too. The food no better, vegetarian options very poor. Most of the food out of a tin or microwaved or frozen and a supplement had to be paid if you wanted a steak or cheese and biscuits!! Extreme lack of staff but those that I encountered were pleasant enough a mixture of Scottish and European. The bar very dowdy no natural light. Over all this hotel is very run down needs a good clean and modernising drastically. Room was never cleaned in the day time just the bed made and a knock at the door at 9am asking for my towels. However location excellent, if you want to stay in Callander mind, there is some really nice Forestry Commission Lodges 3 miles up the road. And just up the road in Kilmahog a lovely pub called The Lade, which does fab meals if you rather not eat tinned fruit, suspicious beef, undercooked breakfasts, frozen veg, orange squash as opposed to juice and packet pasta!! This does let Scottish hotels down extremely. But please don’t be put off folks there are so many lovely hotels in Scotland!!

Stayed December 2007
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

Unhappily our company stumbled into this hotel on a rainy evening.

You could not parody how awful this Hotel is, bleak dour and with a distinct deathly odour.

The staff are so unhelpful they probably put effort into it.

Dread nought indeed.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dreadnought Hotel? Share your experiences!