“Good enough for Hugh Grant?!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 140 Restaurants in Christchurch
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, British, English, Eclectic
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Splinters is the ideal place for you to enjoy a first class dining experience in our private dining restaurant situated on the cobbled street leading to Christchurch's Priory.Specialising in modern international cuisine, our chefs and professional staff will certainly make your visit to us a memorable one.We will first welcome you to the bar where you can quietly peruse the excellent food and wine menus. When you are ready, you will be shown through to one of our intimate dining rooms, each with their own distinctive style, to enjoy your meal in a relaxed and unrushed atmosphere.We have worked hard to earn our reputation with our patrons who enjoy dining out on fine food. Our proximity to the Priory makes Splinters an extremely popular choice for wedding receptions. The same private rooms also make an excellent business meeting and seminar facility.Whatever the occasion, you can be assured you will receive our full and professional attention to making sure you enjoy your time with us.The owners, Paul and Agnes Putt, look forward to welcoming you to Splinters.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good enough for Hugh Grant?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

So took my girlfriend out for a 2nd date after being recommended by a friend.
We had never been and I haven't ever bothered with Trip Advisor before but she is fanatical about checking places out so had to look even when we were sat having an aperitif in the bar area!!! Whilst she was busy on her phone not looking what was going on.......Hugh Grant strolls in with 5 guests for dinner!
If I had wondered about my friends recommendation before I certainly was put to rest by that; if it's good enough for Hugh Grant...!
I had only wondered about this venue as having lived in Bournemouth for a number of years I have never tried eating here or known it was there - that's my biggest negative about the place; why didn't I find you when I moved here! Some advertising could boost business for you.
I had the scallops to start followed by the BEST fillet steak ever! My date had the goats cheese to start followed by the Trio of pork, I will have to try this next time as she wouldn't let me near it!
No room for dessert but we really wanted to try so had the "Grand Assiette" a plate fit for one dessert lover or 2 to share as we did!
Coffee was served in the lounge area upstairs were we had prime position by the fire - I joked with the Scottish waitress would we be moved if Hugh Grants party wanted coffee but were assured "that's not what we do" a refreshing attitude for a small business to have when dealing with VIPs.
Having eaten in lots of places in Bournemouth/Poole and been disappointed I now know that next time il be coming to Christchurch!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time for a review. As a team we are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. I hope to welcome you back in the near future; you never know who you’ll be dining with next time!

“Fabulous restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We went last night with our very good friends, the service and the food was really very good, nothing was to much trouble. We highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to going back.

Visited March 2014
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
On behalf of myself and the team here at Splinters, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your evening with us. I look forwarding to seeing you in the near future.
Oxford
“Ok, but a bit slow and old fashioned”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

there is a sort of holding area, where you get offered a drink and canapes, we waited a bit too long or our table, The food was nice, fresh and a good choice, It was let down by the slightly dated feel of the place and slow service (we actually left our table to pay as we had waited too long)

Visited March 2014
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I’m glad that you enjoyed the food with us here at Splinters.

We apologise that you felt you waited too long for your table, however our booking times are the anticipated arrival times, giving you the opportunity to sit in the bar or lounge to peruse the menus with a pre-dinner drink with complimentary olives, nuts and canapés.
We try to spread these out so that we can give all guests the service expected from arrival to being seated ready for their meal.

The décor here at Splinter has been recently renovated in keeping to its status as a Grade II listed building and it’s location in the historic area of Christchurch.

As a young dynamic team in this family run restaurant we pride ourselves on our service and attention to detail so I apologise for us not meeting the standard on this particular evening.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon so that we can build on the good food of last time to make your evening as a whole, enjoyable.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I booked this restaurant for my husbands birthday for a Saturday evening after reading the great reviews. Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed by the whole experience. I thought the menu options were very expensive (£32 for 2 courses) & was astonished to see there was an additional £5 if you wanted the steak. Although my main course (Seabass) was ok I felt I had greatly overpaid for what I felt was ok food but nothing special. Even the dessert (Strudel & ice-cream) wasn't great. I thought it was stodgy & tasted sour. We only had a half bottle of wine & the total bill came to £82 which I thought was extortionate for an average meal. Also the inside decor felt very tired & dated. Sorry but I thought it was awful & over-rated.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I’m very sorry to hear about your disappointing evening with us. The décor here at Splinter has been recently renovated in keeping to its status as a Grade II listed building and it’s location in the conservation area of Christchurch.

Splinters is a family run business and has been at the heart of dining in Christchurch for fifty years, so it does really disappoint us to hear that you have not fully enjoyed your experience with us.

We use fresh, locally sourced products on our menu and at this time the price of beef fillet is high, by applying a supplement the cost of the overall menu is kept down whilst still delivering quality food and ingredients across the board. We are continually checking prices with our competitors and we are on a par.

The price of £32.00 on a Saturday night includes olives, nuts and canapés on arrival, bread baked fresh on the premises, two courses and a selection of vegetables, all of which would incur additional costs in other restaurants.

However on this occasion, after investigating the strudel, I admit that we made a mistake in its production and apologise that this was not up to our usual high standards.
Highcliffe, United Kingdom
“Wow again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Returned last Friday for a friends birthday celebration and once again had a brilliant meal. The trio of pork and the panacotta were sooo good. Portions generous,service attentive and super friendly,Agnes who was front of house made sure we all had a great time.House wine tremendous value.
So it's Wow again for Splinters.

Melvyn G

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
I thank you for taking the time for this review. I’ve passed your message on to the team and they are happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed this special meal. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.