“A restaraunt you can always trust” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 130 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: English, French, Eclectic, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Splinters is the ideal place for you to enjoy a first class dining experience in our private dining restaurant situated on the cobbled street leading to Christchurch's Priory.Specialising in modern international cuisine, our chefs and professional staff will certainly make your visit to us a memorable one.We will first welcome you to the bar where you can quietly peruse the excellent food and wine menus. When you are ready, you will be shown through to one of our intimate dining rooms, each with their own distinctive style, to enjoy your meal in a relaxed and unrushed atmosphere.We have worked hard to earn our reputation with our patrons who enjoy dining out on fine food. Our proximity to the Priory makes Splinters an extremely popular choice for wedding receptions. The same private rooms also make an excellent business meeting and seminar facility.Whatever the occasion, you can be assured you will receive our full and professional attention to making sure you enjoy your time with us.The owners, Paul and Agnes Putt, look forward to welcoming you to Splinters.
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“A restaraunt you can always trust”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My wife and I dined at Splinters last month with two friends and it was brilliant in all aspects.
Last night, we were among a party of 40 people enjoying a Christmas dinner and , again, I can only describe the experience as outstanding.The quality of the food, presentation and service for our group was equal to our previous visit.
It's certainly an establishment that you can really trust !

• Visited December 2013

“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our party of six had a wholly enjoyable dining experience from the moment we walked through the door. Pre-dinner drinks in the lounge were accompanied by delicious canapes which set the standard for the meal which followed. The main course duck was outstanding and particular mention must be made of the avocado sorbet which was a key ingredient of my mother's starter. The staff were friendly, making sure our every need was met, and the atmosphere relaxed. Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited October 2013
Paul P, Owner at Splinters, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.

The avocado sorbet is a bit special, if you would like to know how we make it then why not book into one of our cooking demonstrations?

We look forward to welcoming you to Splinters in the future
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom
“Dated and boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We came here with great expectations we were always told this was one of the best restaurants in Christchurch in the past but has recently come back to life!

Well it seems very dated almost like they are trying to re-create the past!

Don't get me wrong its not bad BUT its not one of the best in the area. We went from the a la carte menu 3 courses £38.95 and many dishes have supplements so you almost end up £50 per person just for food!!!

We are fortunate to eat out a lot and love are fine food and wine at all levels but especially for the area this is pitching at the top end - which it is not.

The food was above average but for these prices I expect the VERY good, we both had the scallops to start which was a good size portion but it seemed quantity over quality. The scallop flavour was masked by the garnish and for me slightly over cooked. For main course we had the beef (£5 supplement) it was a classic dish with dauphinoise potatoes and it was good again we asked for rare and it was edging towards the medium rare but was good but not VERY good.

Service I have to say was very friendly and knowledgeable but something doesn't seem right when you go to these style of establishment's you almost ask the question 10% or 12.5% service charge? I believe in a service charge people who don't are just cheap and do not understand the industry (British!!!!!). To me it says we all try hard and are trained to give a quality service. Here is like in tacky restaurant chain they only add service to groups of 8 or more!!!!

Why do restaurants do this, to me this says if you are a large group we will look after you as you are spending lots of money however a table of 2 you may or may not get good service!!!! BIZARE.

Splinters is definitely a good restaurant but for me needs a re-think on what they are doing - luckily this is a foodie area so plenty to go around but perhaps re-invest some of that hefty price tag into the restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we value your comments and will act on them appropriately. It’s such a shame we were not made aware of these comments during dinner as perhaps we could have had an opportunity to make something right for you.

I can assure you that we are a very forward looking family business which is why I am here, as a new generation from a modern food and beverage background adding to my fathers’ extensive experience. We also have a young progressive kitchen team with 3 Apprentices in their 1st, 2nd and 3rd year at Bournemouth Catering College.

There is a choice of 8 Starters Mains and Desserts on the menu with a supplement applied to only 1 of each of the courses, the scallops as a starter, The Fillet of Beef as a main course and The Splinters assiette as a dessert.

I am glad you found the service “very friendly and knowledgeable” We value our staff as it is a big family team here at Splinters. I am puzzled why you think that service charge would improve our service as you experienced good service as a table of 2 the same as a table of 4/6/8 or 20 people would receive.
I see from your recent review at the Pig in Brockenhurst that you didn’t agree with the 12.5% service levied on to your bill so take it is a compliment that you would encourage us to put on service ss our team must have exceeded your expectations.

As I said above I just wish I knew that you where dissatisfied whilst you were here as it would have given me the opportunity to put things right for you.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“A bit boring, amateur with Masterchef aspirations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Dined with friends as we noticed it was very high on the trip advisor site, I was not going to write but a reminder in my email box from Trip Advisor spurred me on. I cant remember the last time i saw "Melon" as a starter! that and a boring soup left choice limited, scallops OK but garnish tired. Apart from scallops we tried the old "chicken liver parfait" not much local and inspired.

Main dishes were average, sauce with beef and lamb tasted the same. we went for the cheese board selection as desserts were to our group uninspiring.

service was fine, the room and decor like the menu from a forgotten era

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we value your comments and will act on them appropriately. It’s such a shame we were not made aware of these comments during your visit as perhaps we could have had an opportunity to make something right for you.

There is a choice of 11 starters during lunch which usually provides enough choice for our guests.

Cheese is selected from award winning Dorset and Somerset cheese makers.

Splinters has been part of dining in Christchurch for 50 years and during our ownership of 11 years has always been included in the Michelin Guide, which along with my fathers own personal other accolades and qualifications I would say there are no "Master Chef aspirations"

The Decor of the restaurant is sympathetic to the Grade 1&2 Listed Buildings we occupy on a cobbled street leading up to Christchurch biggest attraction The Priory Church. Sorry if it is not to your liking but I can assure you it is well maintained and updated in style.

As said above I just wish I knew that you were dissatisfied whilst you were here as it would have given me the opportunity to put things
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“if you want the best....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Christchurch offers a good choice of fine dining restaurants, but if you really want the best it has to be Splinters. It continually proves to be so consistent and reliable.
My wife and I have dined here for quite a long time and we took some friends there who were most impressed from the initial greeting by David ---charmingly chatty but not intrusive--to the beautifully presented and truly excellent food we enjoyed.How often do you have a table visit from the chef/owner ? The whole dining experience was outstanding.

• Visited October 2013