“Book it now!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Christchurch
North Wales
“Book it now!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I have stayed at The Fisherman's Haunt a number of times whilst away on business.

Now as I travel the Uk and can be away from home a lot, it is important to me to have a nice hotel. When I am in Dorset I will not stay anywhere else now. I stay in the "Coach House" which is a detached building, but within the grounds of the hotel.

My room was fabulous! It was re-furbished not so long ago and my room was extremely well done! Cleanliness... well I couldnt fault it!

All the staff are very warm and welcoming! Will help as much as they can!

If you are thinking of going to Dorset and wan't a nice quiet retreat look no further!! My last visit was November 2008 and I was there for 5 nights! I loved every minute of it!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lincs UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Had a two night stay at this hotel and was very impressed. The manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was very good and the rooms are extremely comfortable and tastefuly decorated, the en suite bathrooms are a joy and everywhere was immacuately clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. A big thankyou to everyone there for making our stay such a special one.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Essex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

This quaint little hotel should be a little goldmine, however it was a little disappointing.
The room was in a detached area called "The Coach House". On entering we were greeted by a large vacuum cleaner which is stored in the hallway. Despite asking for a double room we were given a twin, well we've been married 33 years so what the heck. The room was in need of some redecoration with wallpaper seams separating and paint fading. The cleanliness needed a little to be desired... don't look at the loo brush! The bedding was faded and one of our sheets had a hole in and the spare pillows didn't have cases. Looking through the bumph, the wine list had been used as a fly swat with the remains of a blue bottle and young. On arrival at the Riverview restuarant we were told to ask at the bar for a table as it gets very busy, we were then told to choose any table we wished that did not have a "reserved sign" on it. So we perused the menu and waited...and waited...eventually I caught a barmans eye who then told us that we had to order our meals at the bar. Not a problem but it would have been nice to have been told on arrival! Food is "Little Chef" without the finesse. Please note that there is no view of the river either from the restuarant or the riverview garden. I think the river was across the road behind the bushes.
On the plus side, most of the staff were outstanding especially the manager and breakfast crew. The coffee/tea facilities in the room were very generous and the cost was a mere £70 pn b&b. What this hotel needs is a lot of investment by the owners to make this quaint little place back into what it must once had been. Take note!

Stayed September 2007
Ascot, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2005

We first stayed at the Fisherman's Haunt 21 years ago for our honeymoon a few days before Xmas. In subsequent years, we regularly returned for Xmas or New Year breaks and the odd summer holiday and always found the same high levels of service, comfort and a great atmosphere. The same friendly staff were always there and always remembered us.
Sadly about 3-4 years ago we visited as usual just before Xmas and found the atmosphere changed - none of the old staff remained; the accommodation was looking tatty and the bar and restaurant had been combined into one 'go and order it yourself' area. We hoped it was just a one-off and stayed away for a while. However we again visited recently and were very sad to see that nothing had improved. Although the service was quick and friendly, the brightly -lit 'restaurant' had no atmosphere at all and we noticed that only 2 tables were laid for breakfast, whereas in past years the hotel was always very busy. We wonder if other regulars are as disappointed as us in what has happened to the Fisherman's Haunt; it is so sad that it appears to have 'lost its soul'. This is not a criticism of the current management and staff who were all friendly and busy, but perhaps a plea to the brewery that now appears to be the owner to restore the charm and comfort that will no doubt attract more guests through the doors. I doubt that we'll visit again, which is very sad.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Fisherman's Haunt Hotel? Share your experiences!