“Excellent !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #82 of 140 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The 18th century coaching house The Lamb Inn is perfectly situated at the edge of The New Forest. Close to the historic market town of Christchurch and a short drive to the seaside resort of Bournemouth. Whether you want to warm up by our open log fire in the winter or relax in the in our beautiful beer garden in the summer the lamb is the perfect place to dine or simply enjoy a drink. The Lamb is also an excellent location to hold a function or enjoy a romantic meal. No matter what your occasion you will always receive a warm welcome followed by excellent service at the lamb.
“Excellent !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Never visited this place before, but will certainly come again.
Greeted by the front of house manager, she was superb. A friendly smile and a great attitude, helpful and charming.
I had the belly pork, good crackling, on sweet potato mash, very tasty followed by deep Apple pie with custard.
I was greatly impressed by the food and the staff, can't wait to try the faggots on my next visit.
Great food, great service and a good ambience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a brilliant night in this pub, the food was lovely, my steak was top quality and the faggots were so tasty. The atmosphere in this pub was great and the puddings with edible flowers were a lovely touch. Would totally recommend to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Memorable evening out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and myself went to this pub for the first time on Good Friday. We were impressed with the high quality of both the meal and the service. We both had prawn skewer starters and followed up with a steak for him and poussin for myself. Both meals were very well presented and tasted lovely. The chef even came out to us and other tables to check everything was ok - a very unusual touch, and very appreciated. The menu does have a slightly smaller menu than some more basic pubs but the quality is much higher. I also discovered that most things are cooked on site instead of being bought in. I am quite happy to have less choice but a far higher quality meal. I am sure that everything on the menu would have been equally as good as the things we chose. Overall, a very enjoyable meal at a price that, considering the quality, is very reasonable. We will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Very poor meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We live locally in Christchurch and have visited this pub several times before.It should have been a busy Easter Saturday evening but on arrival at 1945 the car park . That should have told us something.The menu was very different from their website and fairly limited but two of my party chose fish and chips and my friend had the poussin chicken whilst I chose belly of pork.
All four meals fell well short of being tasty. Mine was probably the most disappointing with just a small mouthful of pork the rest just fat which I left. The only part of my dish which I enjoyed was the sweet potato mash. All of my friends left most of their food. When asked if everything was ok we said no we were disappointed with the food. No apology or possibly a free desert to help with the evening. So lesson learnt. We will not be returning for some time.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Berkhamsted
“A very good new chef”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The new chef here creates well presented and well cooked food. He obviously takes a pride in what he does which can be seen from the care taken to present the dishes on the plates. The menu choice is good. I had king prawns in a chilli sauce served on a bed of lettuce and salad to start. It looked so appetising when it arrived and the taste did not disappoint. I had the poussin for my main course and again it came looking spectacular on the plate and again tasted great. My side-salad was crisp, fresh and well dressed. The wine list is good and I enjoyed the Rioja very much.

The last time I came here it was so busy I had trouble getting a table. This time I booked for four of us for a Saturday night to be safe. We were only one of about three tables occupied all evening. I asked why and learned that they had recently had to suspend serving food because their chef left unexpectedly. The service was a little amateurish from one of the servers but the manager of the front of house, the chef's fiancée I believe, was very attentive, friendly and helpful. The car parking is easy, the ambiance is good and the toilets are clean and fresh. The coffee is hot and strong and we ate a good very well cooked two course meal with coffee and plenty of drinks before and during the meal for under £40 a head including a reasonable tip. With a chef as good as they now have, I am sure that it will be essential to book in advance for my next visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere