“Poor service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Noisy Lobster at Avon Beach

The Noisy Lobster at Avon Beach
Avon Beach, Christchurch BH23 4AN, England (Formerly Avon Beach Restaurant)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 132 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Seafood, Café, Bistro
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The restaurant at Avon Beach - now known as the Noisy Lobster - offers breakfast, lunch, light bites and dinner where patrons can enjoy one of the best views in the area.At the Avon Beach resort we also offer beach huts, an ice-cream parlour, seaside shop and takeaway cabin with a decking area to enjoy a great day at the beach.
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The new owners have made this cafe table service only and in doing it has lost some of its charm as a beachside cafe. Visiting the cafe at lunch time, the cafe was busy, I was stopped at the entrance to the veranda and asked if I was eating or just having a coffee, this looked like this determined where I was offered a seat. Was offered an inside seat, despite the weather being sunny and some of the tables not being erected outside.
I had to wait awhile to be asked what I wanted, the soup arrived fairly quickly, but the glass of water did not. I had to ask for this twice, was this because there was no charge?
In order not to wait to pay I went to the counter, no one asked if I had found the meal ok!
What a shame this cafe has lost some of the seaside friendliness it had.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointed to find breakfast menu at 12.20 finished!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

New management, good food but expensive one off treat now, not able to be regular customers. Good steak sani. Clean toilet!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

For my wife's birthday we decided to go to Avon Beach as we had heard that it was under new management and was now open for dinner in the evenings. We arrived in the car park which was pitch black and had difficulty using the machine to pay for our parking,not an auspicious start to the evening. The restaurant has been refurbished and was pleasantly decorated and we were made welcome by friendly staff.
The menu though not extensive, was varied and caters for most choices. From fish through vegetarian dishes to meat. For my starter I chose the Charcuterie which while not earth shattering was adequate. My main was lamb shank served on a bed of mashed potato with a delicious ju.
I would have preferred it served on a plate instead of a soup bowl as the whole dish became rather stodgy as I attempted to remove the meat from the bone. However the whole was cooked well and I enjoyed the meal.
The service was discreet and friendly and the atmosphere quiet with an under tone of conversation, most enjoyable.
There were a couple of rough edges during the evening but I am sure these will be smoothed out as the establishment gains more experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bedford UK
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I visited the Avon Beach on Saturday evening. The cafe is now open on Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings.
We have a lovely evening there. The cafe resorts to a bistro after 6pm.
The food was excellent, with choices from the evening menu or the daily specials.
The service was excellent, & we also met one of the owners who told us about the forthcoming plans for the cafe.
It was so nice to have the cafe used to it's full potential for evening meals other than an all day breakfast.
Lovely atmosphere, & the bistro was quite busy.
Will most definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dorset, UK
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We've been using this cafe for over 20 years, since we moved to Dorset, and love walking on the beach, particularly in the winter, with our dog, stopping to warm up for a coffee in the cafe. Not sure what they are "trying to be", but we don't like it!! It was much better as a self service cafe, the waitress today actually said in a loud voice for all to hear that she "had a memory like a sieve", which just about said it all!. A family on the next table to us asked for milkshakes for their two children, and were advised that they don't serve them. This is also the second time on a Sunday afternoon that we noticed that they had run out of cakes and biscuits, which never used to happen before.

The whole atmosphere has changed too, with depressing looking grey paintwork, no artwork or any kind of decoration - drab, drab, drab! We'll probably start to use one of the other cafes on the beach.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere