“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Christchurch
Poole, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel before we knew what to expect, but regardless had a very good stay.

We had a 1 night champagne break with breakfast. Check in was prompt and very friendly, and the room was lovely. Very clean and with harbour views - although you could hear a lot of corridor noise from outside. The rooms are very hot however and with only patio doors (no windows) it was difficult to get a balance of fresh air and warm temperatures in the rainy UK weather!

Staff were attentive to our requests for gowns as there were none in the room and the fact that the iPod dock wasn't working.

The spa comprises a pool, sauna, jacuzzi with jet, salt room and steam room. It was very busy when we went, and there were lots of used towels and dressing gowns left around which could've been tidied away - but I guess that's what comes of a busy day in a spa! Free refreshments are also provided. On a quiet weekend I think it would be lovely and relaxing, but with families and children playing in the pool it was less like a spa and more like a leisure centre.

The hotel is currently updating the restaurant, so there was some chaos over breakfast as there isn't enough space in the room they're trying to serve everyone in. The buffet was neglected somewhat, however the hot food was well presented and still good. Service seemed a little chaotic as a result of this and perhaps wasn't as attentive as I would expect.

I would always recommend this hotel to others for romantic, family, hen do's or corporate breaks as the location and standard of accommodation is great for the money.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I would never go back ..

I was quoted a higher rate on reservations and found out when I got to the hotel there was a special offer on .. Costing me £160.00 more for the 3 night stay.

On arrival the hotel looked very different from the web page ..it's quoted as a 4 star feels like a 3 star ..
Also it's going under a refurb and has lots of drilling and workmen all around ..

The spa also had problems with sauna not working and just didn't feel relaxing.. No music .. Unorganized. And the treatment ( 1hour of non relaxation ( therapist was sweet but talked to me for most of my treatment )

The jetty has lovely staff.. But the food had been served cold on both occasions.
Nothing special ..

I also ordered afternoon tea .. To my room it's nothing special and cakes hard .. Service poor ( forgot my napkins / plate and cutlery .. )
Then during my stay a waiter walked in without even knocking and I was in my dressing gown !!! )

I wouldn't stay here ever again.

Thank you to Adam the ops manager who helped me to sort our the wrongs .. But I still wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My partner and I booked two nights at the hotel using the midweek Easter break offer they were doing. The deal came with two nights, access to the spa, full English breakfast each morning and 30 pounds each to spend on dinner on the first night. Firstly, the overall look of the hotel was nice and we were welcomed at check in by a nice man who had our card and details all ready to go as soon as we arrived. We were in our room soon after arrival and the room was lovely. Nice bed with down bedding, nice warm bathroom (because of the towel warmer!) and the champagne in our room was lovely. One thing I will add about the rooms is the doors slam sometimes. They are not weighted, well ours wasn't 209, it never seemed to happen at night, we only heard it twice but it does happen.
We tried the spa next, we liked that the lift went from our 2nd floor to the spa reception. The changing rooms were nice with heated flooring. The pool area wasn't huge, 14m pool, some loungers, steam room, sauna, salt room, jacuzzi and showers. The gym sort of overlooked the pool. We liked that it wasn't too big as it was cozy but not crowded.
That evening we had dinner, it was a nice surprise that they had a set menu 30 pounds for three courses so we only had to pay for drinks as park of the deal. The food was delicious! It was very nicely presented and was brought out quickly. I had the fish and chips which was defiantly fresh fish and my partner had the pork which just fell apart as soon as he put his fork in it. The meal was worth it but I will say that the wine was expensive and they didn't really dim the lights very much so it wasn't that romantic. Which was such a shame as the decor is nice with chandeliers, it had everything to make it romantic if they just dimmed the lights a little! The food was still worth it.
Breakfast was good. They had quite a good selection of food, although the continental breakfast was 12 pounds and I'm not sure we would have paid that for what they had to offer but our breakfast was included anyway. Cooked breakfast was good, you could order whatever ever you liked. We loved the coffee! It was really delicious. BIG DOWN SIDE however, currently they are re modeling the restaurant which was sold to us as a 'spring clean'. This didn't bother us except both mornings our breakfast was interrupted by banging, sawing and drilling coming from the other side of the wall. More than half the people at breakfast kept looking around and out of the window to see where the sound was coming from. It was really quite distracting. SUCH a shame they couldn't start work after 9.30 when breakfast had finished. It was the only time we didn't feel nice and relaxed.
lastly, I had a spa treatment booked but we were locked out of our room so I was late by 10 minutes. I explained we were locked out when I got to the spa but was surprised to find they still finished at the same time, so I missed out on 10 minutes of my treatment when I had paid for 55 minutes. I did however tell the lady during check out who called the operations manager who apologized perfused for this and refunded me a small part of my spa treatment as a gesture of good will. I was happy with this out come and went away feeling relaxed.

Despite a few glitches, I would defiantly recommend this hotel. Maybe wait until the remodel is done, but over all we loved our stay.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a very good hotel. My wife and I spent a night there in conjunction with her Birthday and an evening meal out. Due to it being only a single night we booked a bronze room - lowest price- which was on the Spa level (ground) and does not have a sea view. However the room was very spacious and everything in very good order. En suite full bath and shower provided. Flat screen TV of course. Decent tea and coffee making facilities. Bathrobes and slippers are provided in all rooms and very nice robes too.
Staff and very friendly and aim to please. Bed and Breakfast and a very good selection of foodstuffs. "Cold" items buffet and orders taken for hot stuff to include Full English, Kippers and smoked salmon/scrambled eggs.
There is a decent saving by booking non-refundable, we paid £99 which I think reflects the quality of the hotel.
At certain times parking can be a bit of a lottery and the hotel does provide a valet parking service and on our several visits to this place we have always been OK.
The Spa provides a nice pool, jacuzzi and steam room. Sessions can be booked for massages and various spa treatments but must be prebooked as staff are provided as required.
At present the hotel is undergoing quite an extensive facelift but we did not find the work intrusive.
This is a nice place.

Room Tip: Rooms at ground level are convenient for the spa - low 100's.
South Molton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked in advance a weekend stay to celebrate my wife's 65th birthday and she certainly enjoyed the spa treatment. Overall the stay was very good, but somewhat pricey.
The location is ideal. A short ferry crossing to Mudeford beach and Hengitsbury Hill is very rewarding particularly in fine weather such as we enjoyed that weekend, if a little cold.
The food in the hotel is very good as you would expect from a two rosette status, but the restaurant area was under renovation at the time. An issue with booking and payment in advance has, although addressed by management, still not been fully resolved.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently visited The Christchurch Harbour Spa for the day with a friend and I have to say that it was amazing! I had a 55 minute ESPA Radiance Facial and a 25 minute hot stone back massage (I think the therapist was called Alice), and it was pure indulgence.

The changing room is a little on the small side and if you're going I would recommend taking your own robe as the ones they provide are cheap and tacky, but other than that it was great!

The pool area, salt grotto, steam room etc are all very well laid out and add to the luxury of the day, and the relaxation rooms are a great addition to it.

We had a 2 course lunch included (had the cheese soufflé and a pork dish) which was yummy. Unfortunately we did arrive early and decided to have a spot of breakfast which cost almost as much as the spa day as they didn't tell us that a piece of toast with 2 poached eggs would be the same as a full English (£18.00!)! Had I known this I would have ordered something else.

I'll definitely be returning though as the spa itself was lovely and looked brand new. The hotel itself could do with a little bit of a facelift though, both on the inside and outside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel has the most amazing location. It is beautifully furnished and clean and well presented. I went here lat on a spa day which was wonderful. The treatments were good, products and environment great. The parking can be limited. Well worth visiting if in the area. I have not stayed here so I can't comment but the food and services I have experienced have been good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!