“March Break in The Forest Of Dean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Speech House Hotel

You added The Speech House Hotel to your Saves list
The Speech House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coleford Road | Speech House, Coleford GL16 7EL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“March Break in The Forest Of Dean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Since we last visited the Speech House Hotel the owners have changed and what a difference they have made.How good it is to find owners who are proactive not only in the running of the Hotel but in the quality and well being of all the staff and of course the Guests.The staff are all locals and many are very young but courteous attentive and thoughtful I wish we could name them all they deserve recognition but Cassie and Michael.come to mind.The food was presented well and was of the highest quality.Together with a clean and comfortable room what more could one ask.Keith&Elaine.

Room Tip: second floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Keith & Elaine,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
Firstly thank you for your very kind comments on our style of management.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your found your food to be of a very high standard.
Yes we are indeed lucky to have such a great team of staff all from the Forest of Dean. I have passed on your very kind comments to all of them. It is great for them to know their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Speech House in the near future and hope that you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a night's stay here on a Travelzoo voucher. Plenty of parking, the hotel looks lovely. Checking in was fast and efficient and a very warm welcome. Our room 14 was at the top of the house. A lot of stairs but well worth it.
The first thing to notice were the gable beams and very pleasant décor. A big flat screen TV and some nice chairs to get comfy. The bed was very soft with crisp clean linen.. A nice bathroom, not huge but very adequate. The main thing was the whole room was spotless. We were looking forward to a very pleasant night.
The bar was very nice prices were very reasonable. All the staff we had encountered were polite , pleasant and very nice. We were looking forward to our evening meal.
Later in e evening we ordered our meals in the bar while we enjoyed a drink. There didn't seem to be much difference in prices between deal we were on, against the Al a Carte menu offered as well.
Our table was in a smaller room. On entering the room my wife took a very hard fall over a virtually disguised step up into the room. It would appear that others had been told "mind the step" but we were not. If folks need to be told then one would assume the step would be well marked and not disguised between matching carpets. I did notice that diners after us were told to take care.
Our meal was poor to say the least. On the menu were "Triple cooked chips" I asked if "Just chips" were available and was assured they were. When the meals arrived the "chips" turned out to be potato wedges baked NOT deep fried. They were also burnt. I asked about my ordinary chips these were brought later half way through my meal. My steak was very tough and pretty tasteless the mushroom and tomato mix was cold.
I know we should have complained at the time, our nice waitress asked if everything was OK ? but complaining usually ruins a nice evening so we declined. The rest of our evening was spent chatting in the bar unfortunately mostly about the poor food we had just attempted to eat. A shame really.
Would we return.... Yes ,
Would we eat in ... No
By the way breakfast was lovely. So it can be done.

We were sat near a very hot fire on a fairly mild night. As soon as I asked the nice lad

Room Tip: Room 14 is lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Taffy Lad,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with usat The Speech House.
I am delighted to learn that you found your room and the team were extremely pleasant and attentive.
I am sorry to learn that your wife tripped on entering our Carolean Restaurant, and note from my investigations that my Duty Manager offered assistance to her and checked she was okay. I have also investigated your comments regarding your meal and Chef informs me that your steak was served with hand cut triple cooked chips. I can only apologise that your ordinary chips arrived slightly after your meal was served.
I wish you had made your dissatisfaction known at the time as we could have rectified the situation by bringing you another meal or an alternative choice. I would add in defence of my Chefs that 6 other guests had exactly the same meal and steaks cut from the same strip and were delighted with their meals.
I note your comment regarding the temperature of the restaurant which you found too warm, however my waiter did turn down the fire at your request. We received no other complaints regarding temperature from any of the other diners.
I regret you were not totally happy with your meal but note everything else appears to have been fine.
I hope you will both stay with us again and give us another chance to show you as per our other reviews that we produce high quality meals using local produce.
Portland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Wonderfully comfortable four poster bed, marvelous, well presented food and great staff that made us feel completely at ease. Many thanks to all at The Speech House Hotel.
Best regards Fred and Pauline.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Fred & Pauline,
Thanks for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you both had a relaxing stay with us and that your four poster bed was very comfortable. The bed dates back to the mid 1800's but the mattress is a lot more recent.<s>
I am glad that you also enjoyed your meals during your stay.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team, it is always good for them to know they have added to the customers experience.
Thanks once again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.
Director/Proprietor.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at the Speech House recently for 4 nights. Excellent food; attentive, courteous and thoughtful service: a clean, comfortable, quiet and spacious room which was both well equipped and furnished. All in all, a delightful stay.
Martin Jacobs

Room Tip: But perhaps a gentle caution for other travellers - you might not want to stay in Room 1 if you need...
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Martin J,
Many thanks for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your four night stay with us in the heart of the Forest.
Thank you for your extremely kind and positive comments.
I have passed on your comments to all of our team.
I note your advice regarding room 1, if there is a wedding in the marquee. We do highlight it on our web site and advise people when booking over the phone if there is an event during their stay.
We try to ensure wherever possible that guests are not disturbed.
I am glad that you found all of our team courteous and attentive, and the food was excellent.
We all look forward to you visiting us again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Having dined here several times we decided to take advantage of a Travelzoo voucher for one nights stay with evening meal and breakfast. As always, the staff were polite and attentive. Our room was clean and spacious and the food was excellent. Will return. One small thing to mention, however, my wife slipped in the bath - no bath mat - and suffered bad bruising, this could have been much worse if it happened to an elderly or infirm person.

Dear Tony W,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was sorry to learn that your wife had slipped in the bath, and have taken immediate steps with our Housekeeper to ensure that all bathrooms have a bath mat in situ as is our normal practice.
I was pleased to learn that you found the break excellent value and that you enjoyed your stay with us in the heart of the Forest.
Thank you for your very positive comments regarding our team and the level of customer care you received throughout your stay.
I have passed on your comments to all of our team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Wishes
Bishops Cleeve, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

What I love about this hotel is the way the staff attend to the guests in the most attentive and friendly way. We have stayed for the night on a couple of occasions in parties of nine and also enjoyed lunch as a couple in the orangery, every time the service is warm and hospitable.

The rooms always are spotless and apart from the window handle falling off in my wife's hands this morning well maintained and equipped. Room 6 is particularly nice and roomy, my daughter having her own space in the suite.

Previously we have dined off the a la carte menu, this time we booked table d'hote. The food and service has been excellent each time. Many thanks to Mathew, changing our minds on a couple of occasions didn't cause any problems and it was much appreciated to be able to do this without fuss.

Mention should also be made of the buffet style breakfast which was delicious.

All in all, I would go back! In fact, we have a couple of times!!

Stayed March 2014
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Nik P61,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read your very kind comments, especially as you had stayed before and used us on a regular basis. It is great for the team to know that the high standards they set have been maintained and mentioned by a returning guest.
I am sorry that the window handle came away in your wife's hand, I guess buildings like people start to fall apart as they get very old. I have set the maintenance man on the task this morning.
I am glad you found room 6 to be spacious and that your daughter enjoyed her own space in the suite.
Thank you for highlighting Mathew the team are extremely competitive to be recognised by guests and it focus's the mind on giving good customer service. I have passed on your positive comments to all of our team.
I have also passed on your positive comments regarding the food to Head Chef and his kitchen brigade.
We all look forward to seeing you again in the near future when you return.
Thanks again for leaving a great review
Director/Proprietor.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night in this historic hotel in the middle of the Forest of Dean. We had booked via Travelzoo and obtained a fantastic deal for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast plus a glass of Prosecco each for only £109. We were in Room 14, a delightfully quirky room on the second floor, built into the eaves and therefore with lots of sloping ceilings to contend with. The bed was extremely comfortable and despite a couple of minor issues the room was fine. All the staff were excellent, helping us out with walking routes etc. Special mention must go to Ryan who greeted us in the bar in the evening, took our food and drink orders and waited on us for the evening. He was superb and made us feel really at home and important to him as a waiter and ultimately took the time to show us one of the hotel's special rooms complete with a fantastic enormous four-poster bed. The food we ate at dinner was excellent with beautifully cooked and tasty rump of lamb and duck breast. Similarly, we had an excellent breakfast in the morning individually cooked to order. Our stay represented fantastic value for money and we will return to enjoy either the spring or autumn colours in the Forest of Dean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Rich M345,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and found all of our team to be helpful and attentive. There is always friendly competition between the team to offer the best service and thank you for singling out Ryan on this occasion. We ensure that all reviews are available to the team to read.
The antique four poster beds that we have are indeed amazing. You would normally only see ones such as those behind ropes at stately homes.
I am glad you enjoyed your meals and felt the package offered great value.
We all look forward to welcoming you both back to the Speech House in the near future and hope you had a safe journey home.
Director/Proprietor

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!