“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Speech House Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Speech House Hotel to your Saves list
The Speech House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coleford Road | Speech House, Coleford GL16 7EL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Herts
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was difficult to find a hotel with a good review in the area and I have mixed feelings over this particular one. We chose to eat in the a la carte restaurant as the Orangery menu appeared a little unexciting. The dining room itself was bleak, no atmosphere and depressing dark walls. The background music of Adam Ant and Ian Dury was a bit odd but saying that the food was ok, not wow but ok and the service friendly. The orangery looks much more inviting, perhaps this was because it has had money spent on it more recently. The bar bill was reasonable as was the wine list which makes a pleasant change.
The location appears idyllic on initial impression however I agree with other reviews the road noise was unpleasant ... from 0530 it was like being beside the M1. Fluffy white towels and clean bathroom but cracked tiles everywhere let the room down and the provision of 2 teabags was not enough but this wasn't discovered until bedtime and therefore we didn't bother asking reception for more. There should be more anyway,
All the staff were polite and friendly making us feel very welcome but to be honest breakfast was a let down, the quantity was fine but the quality was not there for the £120 + price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Ninapup,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay at the Speech House.
I am sorry that you found the Verders Court Restaurant to be bleak and dark, the room is listed and dates back to 1669 so we are not allowed to paint it in bright colours. I can ony apologise for the choice of music that was being played it should have been different CD's. I have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.
The Orangery is 4 years old and is a modern extension which has many windows and has escaped the listed building officers, as opposed to the Historical Verderers Court.
I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and found the staff to be friendly and efficient.
We do hold an additional stock of tea/coffee etc at reception which we will happily deliver to the guests room, but i agree there should have been more in the tray. I have investigated and found that the junior chambermaid forgot to top up the trays. Apologies once again.
With regard to the hairline cracks in the bathroom tiles, we have been trying to find identical tiles to replace the ones there and are still searching.
I apolgise if you felt you did not get value for money but as you will have noted when reading the previous reviews the majority of our guests compliment us on value for money.
I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
staines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Had originally booked a courtyard room for an overnight stay, but an "exuberant" party in the adjoining room made relaxation difficult. A visit to reception for assistance resulted in an immediate upgrade to what is probably the most beautiful hotel room I have ever slept in. I was surprised and delighted by this totally unexpected development and cannot speak highly enough of the staff. Excellent service at both lunch and breakfast. Recommended.

Room Tip: The four-poster rooms,particularly no. 2,are stunning. If sleep before midnight is important to you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear MarkB 1958
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Speech House.
I am so pleased we were able to resolve your issue with the exuberant couple in the next room to you satisfactorily..
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding room 2. The four poster bed dates back to 1830 and is as you say truly amazing.
We do try wherever possible to ensure our guests have an enjoyable experience when staying with us and having read your review I am pleased to see that on this occasion we managed to achieve this for you both.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.
Thanks once again for leaving your feedback
South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had a lovely weekend here. We booked one of their special offers "Explorer break package" which was great value for money and were upgraded to a four poster room in the main hotel, although did find it a tad noisy with the busy main road outside, however we weren't in the room very much. We had to take a double take in the bar as Greg Wallace was staying there and had a special dinner taking place on the Saturday night and although we hadn't booked for that, it was great to bump into him on the Sunday at the food festival taking place in the field next door to the hotel. Our room was comfortable, the staff were great and the food was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Dejaviewhousehold,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
Firstly I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Explorer Break and thought it was great value for money.
Sometimes the road in front of the hotel does get busy and can be a little noisy but it did not seem to cause you too many problems. The building is listed and it is difficult to get permission to install double glazing, however it is still work in progress.
I am pleased you enjoyed your four poster room.
Your comments on great staff and delicious food are very much appreciated. I have conveyed them back to all of our team.
Gregg Wallace, was indeed staying for the weekend. Gregg very kindly was hosting the pre Forest Showcase,Food Festival Dinner we were holding and then opening the event on our field the following day. He has become a good friend and enjoys his escape to the Royal Forest of Dean. He enjoyed his stay and once again has asked to be invited back to next years event.
He is as you discovered great fun.
Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next decide to take a "Cheeky Break".
Cirencester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Popped in for lunch with the in-laws. A busy service for the team, but very welcoming indeed. The menu is fairly extensive, although pretty bland from my view. The food itself was of decent enough quality, served in a good time frame, but lacked a bit of imagination...plus my side salad had been dressed for me, which annoys me (it's a personal thing!). I'd like to give the whole experience a 3.5 as it's above average, but not good enough to be very good. The orangery is stunning by the way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy H
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit & lunch in our Orangery.
I am pleased to read that our team although very busy provided you with good friendly service.
Our menu offers a wide selection of traditional food, each dish cooked fresh from ordering. I am sorry that in your view you thought it pretty bland, but we try to cater for all tastes. The menu for the Orangery is wholesome food using local produce. I am sorry that it did not appear imaginative enough for you but food is as you say with your salad being pre-dressed is a personal thing.
I am glad you found our Orangery stunning and the service good. Thank you for giving your rating on your meal, which I have conveyed to our Head Chef.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My father was from the Forest of Dean, so when work gave me a trip to Gloucester I thought I'd take the chance to stay in this place of significance that I'd heard so much about. I arrived after the kitchen had closed, but the staff were very helpful in getting me a plate of sandwiches.

Tired, I headed to my room in the outside block and I'm afraid to say that it seemed a little grubby, it was cold and worst of all there was an unpleasant smell which kept me awake. I wish I'd had the energy to complain, but I wrote it off as one of those disappointing nights I've had in provincial hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear DougM 1962,Thank you for leaving a review on your stay at the Speech House.
I was extremely concerned to learn from your review of your experience in one of our courtyard rooms.
I am unsure of what time you arrived but had you rung reception on discovering the unpleasant odour we would have immediately moved you to another room. I have asked my housekeeper and maintenance team to explore the source of the problem.
I am glad my Night Porter was able to fix you up with some sandwiches and refreshments.
Once again my apologies that you encountered a problem but I would assure you my team and I work extremely hard not to be as you say "just another provincial Hotel" but to ensure our guests are happy and if there is a problem that we rectify it as soon as we are made aware.
I do hope you will return when next in Gloucestershire to enable us to show you this was a blip on our part.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We came to The Speech House for a Gala dinner with Phil Vickery and Greg Wallace. We arrived to a champagne reception and very warmly greeted by Peter and Gill. The food was outstanding and very delicious. Compliments to all the staff for such a wonderful evening. Thoroughly recommend a visit you will not be disappointed. A must visit!

• Stayed October 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Hotson99,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent experience at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had a great evening with Gregg Wallace & Phil Vickery at our pre Forest Showcase Gourmet Dinner.
It was a pleasure to meet you and the guests on your table on the evening.
Thank you for your very kind compliments about the quality of the food and the service afforded you by our team.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the near future.
Thanks again for leaving a review.
Director/ Proprietor
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We were in the Forest of Dean for my parents Ruby wedding anniversary and booked lunch at the speech house as my parents had stayed there some years ago and remembered a wonderful stay. I emailed to enquire about decorations and a cake being supplied and the staff could not have been more helpful. When we arrived the table had been decorated beautifully and at the end of the meal they presented my parents with an amazing gateaux cake. The meal was excellent and the waiting staff very friendly. The location is also second to none as it it right in the Forest, surrounded by beautiful walks.

• Stayed September 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Colek321,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you were extremely happy with your parents ruby wedding and it revived happy memories.
Thank you for your very kind comments on the cake, my Head Chef was pleased to know you had enjoyed it.
Thank you also for your very positive comments on how the team looked after you when making your booking and on the day of your parents celebration.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the future.
Thanks again for leaving feedback which I have passed on to our team.
Director/Proprietor

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!