“Ultimate help and kindness from all the staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Speech House Hotel

You added The Speech House Hotel to your Saves list
The Speech House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Speech House Road | Speech House, Coleford GL16 7EL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
kent
“Ultimate help and kindness from all the staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Due to circumstances, my husband and I felt an overwhelming need to have a short break away from home that afforded us a pleasant environment with the opportunity to cycle in a large forest, staying in a nearby hotel. We had seen the Speech House Hotel whilst walking in the Forest of Dean some years ago and I liked it so much that I wanted to stay there at some stage.
Looking at their website I was delighted to see that they offered a special cycling package which included 2 nights B&B, one dinner for two persons and a days inclusive cycling for a competitive price. We decided to double up on the package and have 4 nights, rather than 2, staying there from 4th to 8th August.
On arrival, we were allocated a room on the second floor of the main house. Whilst having to negotiate two flights of steep stairs, the room made it all worthwhile. The lounge area window overlooked the forest and on one occasion, we spotted a herd of 13 wild boar who came right up to the edge of the forest allowing us to watch their interactions with each other in amusement. The bed was very comfortable which is an unaccustomed experience for us in most hotels as we both suffer from spinal problems which affect the quality of sleep. In this bed we slept soundly! Our only disquiet was that the floor of the room sloped meaning that the settee sloped forwards too. It couldn't be helped as the hotel was built in the 1600's and time does strange things to ancient floors. ;-)
Breakfasts were extremely generous, setting us up for the day. On the cycling days, our bikes were available at the hotel - having been delivered there for us by the cycle hire company. We set out on our days' cycling provided with our packed lunches of sandwich, packet of crisps, chocolate bar and bottle of water - ample food after such a huge breakfast. The forest is charming although on occasion, we had to dismount and push our bikes uphill...we much preferred the downhill trails! We arrived back after cycling for approximately 30miles and 5 hours on each of the days feeling absolutely exhausted albeit exhilarated by our achievements at surmounting the challenge it presented to this elderly couple. After a rest, shower and change of clothes we went down to dinner. Both restaurants provided good menus, but the dining experience in the Verderers restaurant was exquisite...we had the best, flavoursome meal we've ever had in any restaurant.
Everything about our stay impressed us, but the outstanding feature was the exemplary guest service. The staff were always smiling and friendly, remembering our names and went over and above the expectations that one normally requires.
We shall be returning in the not too distant future, hopefully bringing our daughter and her family with us to enjoy both the hotel and the Forest of Dean.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor rooms if you are elderly and infirm or have a physical disability as the step...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Patricia, Kent
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
Having read your review I was delighted to learn that you both had a great stay, and that our team looked after you well. Also pleased to learn you enjoyed your evening meal in the wonderfully historic Verderers Court.
You certainly choose the best way to explore the Royal Forest. I am not surprised that you were exhausted after completing 30 miles per day. Well done! I will have a word with the Forestry Commission to see if they can flatten some of the hills out for when you come next time.
I am glad you were privileged to see the family of Wild Boar they are a rare sight to behold.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Speech House.
Once again thank you for leaving your review.
Director/ Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Curzon, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a special stay in July. The rooms were stylish, spotless and the beds were very comfy. What was so refreshing was that the staff were all very friendly, smiling, immaculate and really cared about delivering a service. We ate in the main restaurant in the evening and the food was excellent. My French partner (who has many years experience of working in restaurants) actually went into the kitchen to thank the chef! Well done to all the staff for such professionalism and commitment to making sure their guests have such a perfect stay. The hotel is set in the middle of a forest so if you love the countryside, good food and being pampered get booking!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Jacquelinefranglais,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us in July 2013.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your special stay with us and everything was to your satisfaction and especially that you enjoyed your bedroom.
I am delighted that our team looked after you both and were very friendly and attentive also that you enjoyed your meal. Please thank your partner for taking the time to thank the Chef personally it was great for him, he works so hard to ensure everyone is happy with his dishes.
I have passed on your most kind comments to all of our team they were most appreciative.
We look forward to welcoming you both back when you are next over from Paris and in the area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 34 and found the room to be musty. The bathroom had seen better days, the sink was stained; the shower attachment would not hold the shower and generally the room didn't feel spotlessly clean. For the price I felt this was extremely poor value for money. I don't know what the rooms are like in the main building but I would not return to this room type again. The service however was excellent and the breakfast was good.

Dear Tiny Em,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry to learn that your room did not meet your expectation. Had you have informed my team on reception at the time we would have endeavoured to have moved you to another room
Room34 is on our list to be refurbished as part of our rolling programme and I can only apologise once again.
On a positive note thank you for your comments on the team and their service and on the excellent breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House, please ask for a main house room when booking.
Once again my sincere apologies and thank you for highlighting the issues you raised which we will work on as soon as possible.
Director/ Proprietor
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Our family wedding was held at the Speech House Hotel on 8/8/13, the organisation and the planning from Denise and the staff was first class the day ran smoothly, the staff were lovely, the food was extremely good, the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed and we would highly recommend the Speech House Hotel to anyone planning their important event.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jane F,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent experience at the Speech House.
I was delighted to learn that your family wedding went extremely well and that Denise and the team ensured everything made your special day a memorable one.
I have passed on your kind comments to all of our team.
Thank you also for endorsing us as a great venue to hold a special event.
I hope all of your party had a safe and uneventful journey home.
We look forward to welcoming you all back to the Speech House in the future.
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having under estimated how long the sculpture trail, and a spot of geocaching,was going to take with four children in tow, the glimpse of this hotel off the path seemed too good to be true. The two ladies in reception were very welcoming, while warning us that a funeral party had just arrived so there may be a slight delay in the food service. Lovely garden, prompt refreshing drinks and excellent quality meals served without the warned of delay. Would return when next in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Poppy Caravan,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had discovered us whilst walking the Sculpture Trail, in the glorious Royal Forest of Dean.
It was indeed a very busy day when you called but I am pleased we were able to look after you and service your order quickly. I have passed on your kind comments to all my team.
Glad that you and your family enjoyed everything and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thanks again for taking time to leave a review.

Louth, Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Popped in on Sunday lunch as they served sandwiches which was all we required. Beef was rather more well done than I had expected but was attractively presented. Nice glass of wind if a little pricey at £4.80. Service was speedy and efficient. Found it a bit soulless.

• Stayed August 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Jane White,
Thank. you for taking time to leave a review of your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am sorry to read that you found your experience to be " a bit soulless".
We were exceptionally busy on the Sunday and also had a coach of 35 turn up who had not pre booked. Both our Orangery and Verderers Court Restaurant were full and whilst that is not an excuse, I feel it may mitigate slightly our staff focussing on ensuring that your party received your sandwiches promptly.
With regard to the cost of your wine the £4.80 was for a large glass of wine and is compatible with other hotels and restaurants in the area.
I was pleased to learn that your food was well presented.
I have forwarded your comments to our front of house team and I am confident that they will heed your comment regarding the lack of smiles, which is most unusual for the team as can be seen from previous reviews.
We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve our service to all our customers.
Thanks once again for taking the time to leave a review.
We hope you will return in the future to let us prove that we all smile at The Speech House..
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff were very friendly helpful and did their best to please. We arrived Friday night after a long journey and were greeted at reception by the manager and very friendly member of staff. We then had a very nice meal in the bar area which was very good value for money and very enjoyable. The bar area is very comfy and was a relaxing start to the weekend. The room we had was newly decorated and very comfortable for myself husband and our 6 year old. The only complaint was that the hand basin was not in the bathroom ans there was no towel hanger by the sink so made it awkward to have a towel by sink to dry hands etc. On Saturday we explored the beautiful area around the hotel and went to places recommended by the staff. Very enjoyable day. Saturday evening we enjoyed a nice meal in the bar which we enjoyed. The staff were very busy and there was a couple of complaints but everything was fine for us. The staff at this hotel made it as I felt they would go out of their way to help. A very enjoyable weekend. I would recommend hotel and would return. Thank you.

Dear Snarry,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.
I note your comment on the sink being separate from the bathroom, this is something we have inherited when purchasing the hotel, and is on our list to remedy when we refurbish.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your food in the Orangery and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I have passed on your very kind and positive comments to the team.
Most of our team are local and have a great knowledge of the area and I am pleased they were able to suggest places for you all to visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House and once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review..
Director / Proprietor

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!