“Service but not many smiles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Speech House Hotel

You added The Speech House Hotel to your Saves list
The Speech House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Speech House Road | Speech House, Coleford GL16 7EL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Louth, Lincolnshire
“Service but not many smiles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Popped in on Sunday lunch as they served sandwiches which was all we required. Beef was rather more well done than I had expected but was attractively presented. Nice glass of wind if a little pricey at £4.80. Service was speedy and efficient. Found it a bit soulless.

• Stayed August 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Jane White,
Thank. you for taking time to leave a review of your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am sorry to read that you found your experience to be " a bit soulless".
We were exceptionally busy on the Sunday and also had a coach of 35 turn up who had not pre booked. Both our Orangery and Verderers Court Restaurant were full and whilst that is not an excuse, I feel it may mitigate slightly our staff focussing on ensuring that your party received your sandwiches promptly.
With regard to the cost of your wine the £4.80 was for a large glass of wine and is compatible with other hotels and restaurants in the area.
I was pleased to learn that your food was well presented.
I have forwarded your comments to our front of house team and I am confident that they will heed your comment regarding the lack of smiles, which is most unusual for the team as can be seen from previous reviews.
We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve our service to all our customers.
Thanks once again for taking the time to leave a review.
We hope you will return in the future to let us prove that we all smile at The Speech House..
Director/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff were very friendly helpful and did their best to please. We arrived Friday night after a long journey and were greeted at reception by the manager and very friendly member of staff. We then had a very nice meal in the bar area which was very good value for money and very enjoyable. The bar area is very comfy and was a relaxing start to the weekend. The room we had was newly decorated and very comfortable for myself husband and our 6 year old. The only complaint was that the hand basin was not in the bathroom ans there was no towel hanger by the sink so made it awkward to have a towel by sink to dry hands etc. On Saturday we explored the beautiful area around the hotel and went to places recommended by the staff. Very enjoyable day. Saturday evening we enjoyed a nice meal in the bar which we enjoyed. The staff were very busy and there was a couple of complaints but everything was fine for us. The staff at this hotel made it as I felt they would go out of their way to help. A very enjoyable weekend. I would recommend hotel and would return. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Snarry,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.
I note your comment on the sink being separate from the bathroom, this is something we have inherited when purchasing the hotel, and is on our list to remedy when we refurbish.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your food in the Orangery and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I have passed on your very kind and positive comments to the team.
Most of our team are local and have a great knowledge of the area and I am pleased they were able to suggest places for you all to visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House and once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review..
Director / Proprietor
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had a lovely family day at the Speech House this Thursday 1st August 2013. There was a lovely friendly atmosphere and the service was great from all members of staff and the owner. We have a family of 12 and all had meals mainly steaks and I must say it was very nice and reasonably priced but would of preferred a little bit more. The location is beautiful with lots of outside area to sit. The speech house itself is original and historic and overall a relaxing place to stay for the day or just to pop in for afternoon tea. Overall its very well kept, a lovely relaxing day and 10/10 for cleanliness... Lovely family day out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Lesley B,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I was delighted to read your very generous comments and that you and your family had a great day out. It was a pleasure to meet you all.
It was a pleasure to look after you all and that you all found my team to be extremely friendly and attentive.
As you point out the Speech House is in the heart of The Royal Forest and is steeped in history.
Once again thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to the team, we look forward to you returning in the future.
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had a lovely cream tea at Speech House earlier in the year and I gave a very good review. Today, however was very disappointing!
I took my 89 year old parents in for coffee following a hospital visit. It was quite busy when we arrived, but my dad and I got our coffees very quickly. However, my mum had to wait half an hour for her pot of tea. Our coffees were long finished. I complained to the waitress, who said they were very busy, and she had told the manager. When the tea eventually arrived, the waitress offered us 2 more coffees on the house, but I was very disappointed that it took so long. I agree it was busy, but how long does it take to make a pot of tea? People who arrived after us seemed to be served before us, and there was a large party in for lunch, but we arrived at 10:55 am, well before lunch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Brenda B,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am disappointed that our usual high standard of customer service appears to have not been to your satisfaction on this occasion. I can only extend my apologies to you and your parents.
The hotel was extremely busy as you pointed out when you arrived. We had a large influx of people requiring service, all with similar orders to yours.
I was actually helping with service at the time, such was the volume of orders.
I understand from my duty manager that the delay with your order was due to toasted tea cakes being ordered in addition to the tea and coffee.
There was at that time a backlog of similar orders and my staff assumed that your mothers tea would be best served g with her tea cakes. In hindsight my staff should have informed you of the slight delay and brought the tea straight away. The large group you referred to were in fact there for a presentation and had also placed similar orders.
I know my duty manager offered you and your father a further complimentary coffee which you declined.
I can only apologise once again for the breakdown in communication and service.
I look forward to welcoming you and your parents back to the Speech House when we will do everything we can to ensure you receive our usual high standard of service.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had a steak meal here in April, and must say was very nice. nice atmosphere and reasonably priced. Also the pudding was lovely too, though i did feel a bit steep at £5.10. Would prefer if there was more of it!!! Set in a lovely location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear HMT 444,
Thank you for leaving a review of your experience when you visited the Speech House back in April.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your steak and desert and felt it was reasonably priced.
Our deserts are felt by our regular customers to be great value and I am unable to comment on your desert portion as we have sold many since April.
I was also delighted to read that you thought our location and atmosphere was excellent.
Thank you once again for taking time to leave a review. and we look forward to you returning to the Speech House.
Yours Sincerely
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Speech House Hotel through a Living Social deal. We arrived late but the chef was very accommodating and cooked us a meal.

We were fortunate to have beautiful weather. The location is fantastic for forest walks and exploring.

The staff were very pleasant and more than willing to help in any way. As part of our deal we had a picnic lunch both days and these were of a good quality.
The breakfasts were plentiful and very tasty.

We stayed with our dogs in one of the courtyard cottages and no, they aren't of a standard which you would normally get in a hotel bedroom, however they were very clean and only of a slightly lower quality so that dogs could accompany their owners. The bedding and towels were snowy white and all areas were spotlessly clean.

I left a top in our room, this was sent on to me within 24 hours.

We can't recommend this hotel highly enough and will be returning again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Libster 56,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read your very positive comments on your stay with us.
The Courtyard cottage rooms are of a slightly lower standard to our main house and Royal rooms, however this does facilitate the opportunity for dog owners to be accompanied by their pets. It is important to us as pet owners that people are able to enjoy breaks away accompanied by their dog. This is especially so in such a fantastic area as the Royal Forest where there are so many exciting walking and cycling trails. Thank you for pointing out that your room was spotlessly clean and your linen snowy white. I have passed on your kind comments to all our team.
I am pleased that we were able to cater for your late arrival. We do try and offer the same high standards of customer care to all our customers, but it is good to know it is appreciated.
Also glad we were able to forward your left article so promptly.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be returning to stay with us again in the future.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend at short notice. The hotel is right in the middle of the Forest and the building is quite historic with a genuine Court that sits from time to time in the room used for breakfast. There are some Royal planted Oaks opposite the hotel. Its well sited for visiting the Wye Valley and Welsh borders as well as the Forest itself. Not suitable for anyone who must have a good view and wide open spaces as the forest is all round the hotel except for the cricket pitch at the back.
The staff were very welcoming and friendly. (When we left one was handling a complaint with efficiency). Our twin room in the main building, was large - almost feeling like a suite, and felt recently decorated, but the bathroom was tired with many cracked tiles and the shower was basic and water leaked from the join with the bath. Water was scorching hot. Bed were very soft and pillows hard but we both slept very well. It was very quiet at night although could see a marquee outside so obviously there are sometimes events held. There are rooms in annexes which look more modern but certainly the one we saw was much smaller than our room.
Breakfast is held in the Verderer's Court room with royal memorabliia on the walls. Buffet style with a good range of choices for hot and cold. We had one evening meal which was reasonably good, although again the menu felt a little dated. Service was very friendly but a little slow. A nice range of good local beers on tap in the bar.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chalmers 30,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to learn that you found all our team welcoming and friendly.
Your twin room in the main building was recently refurbished however whilst retaining the character in the bathroom which was also redecorated we are struggling to find identical tiles to replace those with minor cracks.
I have instructed my maintenance man to carry out any repairs needed on the shower. We could have resolved the problem had we been informed at the time if it was causing you a problem.
Some of our Courtyard rooms are slightly smaller than the main house and this is reflected in the tariff.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your meals during your stay.
The hotel is at the heart of the Royal Forest and whilst there are not many panoramic views from the bedroom windows this is more than compensated for by the access to 253 miles of walking and cycling trails right on the door step.
We do try to gauge the speed of service so as not to make our guests feel rushed when they are on a relaxing break. Delighted to know you enjoyed our range of beers in the bar.
We hope you will return in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.
Director/Proprietor

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!