“Excellent service and value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Speech House Hotel

You added The Speech House Hotel to your Saves list
The Speech House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Speech House Road | Speech House, Coleford GL16 7EL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Chippenham
“Excellent service and value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was the organiser of a sports event on the field belonging to the hotel and not for the first time in doing so, my wife and I stayed overnight at Speech House in order to make an early start on our event. The hotel is under new management since the previous occasion. It was good then, but it is excellent now. There has clearly been new investment into the hotel infra structure and the levels of service have risen to match that. The staff were warm, friendly and welcoming, and concerned to make our stay a success, which it was.

The sports event took place in the worst rain this year and without the use of the wonderful permanent marquee and the field pavilion, we would not have coped. Our competitors and their friends commented on the warm welcome they received from the staff on the refreshment bar in the marquee, and the very good value for money of the food on offer.

For me, my memories are of a thoroughly enjoyable stay: a warm and comfortable room, an excellent steak and good red wine in the restaurant, some quality afternoon coffee in the very comfortable Orangery lounge, and a friendly and efficient level of service throughout.

This is a genuinely relaxing hotel which offers a quality service and quality food and drink at sensible prices. I am looking forward to my next visit to the area and an opportunity to call in and enjoy Speech House hospitality once again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main part of the hotel have been refurbished recently to a very high standard and a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Howard,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your stay and the event you organised at the Speech House.
It was indeed a challenge for you and your extremely efficient organisation given the extreme weather conditions.
I am delighted that our team were able to play their part in looking after you and all of your competitors.
I have passed on your kind comments to all of our staff. It is always rewarding for them to know
that their hard work is appreciated.
We hope that you will return to the Speech House, and we look forward to hosting further events with you, hopefully in far nicer weather.
Thank you once again for your extremely kind review
Director.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Hereford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Coach drivers beware…………..
After taking 22 field trip Geologists to this hotel for lunch I was asked was I the driver and did I want a drink,

All was ok at this point 22 people left after paying their bills the lowest bill being £6.50, as I left the manager that asked if I was having a coffee charged me £2.50 for the smallest cup of coffee ever.

Now don’t get me wrong I don’t expect free food from a hotel as a driver but a coffee after bringing 22 people there is a show of Generosity.

Word of mouth is the best advert you can get and I will make sure I tell ever driver or customer that asks where is the best place to go I will not be telling them about this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear PD Hereford,
Thank you for aking time to leave a review of your experience of using the Speech House Hotel.
The party that you brought were originally due to collect food and drink to take out to the dig.
The weather was particularly inclement and the organiser asked if they could stay and eat etc.
This was fine and we looked after the party, who on leaving were happy with both the food and the service they had received. I know because i spoke to some off them on the way out.
We serve coffee by the pot not individually and we usually do offer Drivers, refreshments free of charge.
How ever on this occasion there was obviously a break down in communication on both sides between my waitress and the driver and I apologise for that.
Despite the assurance of the driver in his review, I think it was the fact he was asked to pay that has prompted this negative review.
We have many drivers bringing groups for lunch stops etc all of whom leave very happy.
owner
Rutland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We have just had a 2 night stay during the Easter holidays.We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Speech House Hotel. We stayed in a family room in the courtyard which was a very good size and well equiped. It was clean and spacious. The food in both the restaurant and the Orangery was very good and reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We are looking forward to booking a return trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Phil,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience during your visit to the Speech House.
We were delighted that you had a pleasant experience and that you enjoyed the food and the Orangery.
We hope you don't leave it another 20 years before you return.
Many thanks once again
Owner.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

It was our first visit to The Speech House for about 20 years, and the new Orangery was a wonderful place to eat Sunday lunch. The service was quick, friendly and efficient. The price was moderate and the food very good indeed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Having stayed at the speech house in the past I was very much looking forward to 4 nights away with my 3 sons and my recently bereaved mother...
It was exactly as I remembered it as I arrived but very quickly I became disillusioned... We had 2 family rooms in the converted stables... I was sharing with my 1 month old and my mother shared with my 2 older sons (8,13) and her dog.
On arriving in the room there was a nice travel cot with john lewis sheets and bedding and I commented at how nice it was not to see cheap linen just because it was for a baby... unfortunately the travel cot had been placed right next to the table with the kettle, cups etc and so I began baby proofing the room...
I had brought with me my own socket covers etc and used all 8 of them, moved furniture and the bin, etc to make it safe...
I wasnt impressed with the cleanliness of the room... there were visible cobwebs on the sealing, the paint was peeling above the shower cubicle and on the wall in the bathroom, the bathroom wasnt particularly clean and I found myself using the baby's wipes to clean the basin and the top of the bathroom bin...
We enquired as to what time we could eat and were told food was served until 9pm in the orangery... Having gone there and waited for 10mins for a highchair and menus we then had to wait a further 15mins for for a drinks order and a further 10 mins for our food order... 35 mins with a young baby and no food is not good so we asked for a bread roll to keep him going which seemed also to take forever to arrived... when the food eventually arrived (having watched numerous other people dining have starters, mains, drinks, way after we had arrived) the three childrens meals had SALT on them, the baby was exceptionally unhappy and I just wanted to leave and go back to our room... our first meal experience was therefore awful and all of my children were clearly distressed by the end of it...
I made it clear that I was unhappy but did not recieve an apology from anyone...
The next morning we went to breakfast and had to wait again to be found a highchair although the service was much improved... in fact every morning at breakfast we had to wait whilst a highchair was found for us to use.
On our second evening my 8 year old was so distressed at the thought of having to go through the trauma of another meal in the orangery that we fed them whilst we were out and ordered room service for myself and my mother (this seemed to be much more effecient service)
The food itself was delicious but for a hotel that claims to be family friendly the service in the orangery was appauling... I have worked in the industry and could not quite believe how totally lacking the staff were in regards to the childrens needs...
I would however say that Debbie from housekeeping was fantastic when I explained I had moved the room around to baby proof it and she left it as it was if only she had cleaned my room every day as every other day everything was put back to how it should be and I had to baby proof again and again!!!
Overall my previous experience of this beautiful hotel and caring staff has been totally ruined and whilst I love the forest of dean I will not be returning... I would advise antone with young children to stay away

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Mrs Chisholm,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.
I was dissapointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
With regard to the peeling paint on the ceiling we had unfortunately had a water leakage across several rooms just priorto your arrival and had not had the opportunity to rectify the decor in time for your stay.
Had we have known in advance that you wished your room to be "Baby proofed" to that degree, we would have taken steps to accommodate your wishes. However we note the points you raise and will use them in our future training.
I have spoken with Debbie and the housekeeping and they assure me the room was thoroughly cleaned prior to your arrival, however I apologise for any cobwebs that you may have found on your arrival.
With regard to your meal in the orangery on your first night we were exceptionally busy and I am reliably informed by my Restaurant Manager that she did speak with you on two occassions and when asked if everything was okay was told it was.
The salt on your childrens meals was a very light sprinkle of salt on the chips, had you specified you did not want them served this way we could have averted the problem however replacement salt free chips were offered..
As can be seen from the previous reviews our team are highly praiised for their attention to detail and customer service, so I once again apoogise that you felt we did not meet your expectations.
We have many families with young children stay with us and compliment the team for their friendliness, and for going the extra mile to keep the children happy.
Once again I am sorry we failed in meeting your expectations.
kidderminster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed in The Speech House Hotel in December 2011

Although my stay was just overnight, I can highly recommend it the friendly staff, food and room were very very good

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Posh54,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your stay with us at the Speech House.
We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
There is so much to do and see in the wonderfull Royal FOrest of Dean and the Wye Valley.
Thank you once again for your positive revue.
Best wishes
Coalville, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

our first visit to the speech house was on the 10th march 2012, our room was in the cottage and was very clean and tidy and the bathroom was a good size, the bed was very comfy after a day walking at the races at chepstow. we ate in the hotel at night and the mixed grill i had and the rump steak and the desserts had were truly scrumptious, all the staff from front of house, barman and waitress were very friendly and courteous. breakfast was buffet style and there was everything imaginable, fry up, cereals , croissants, tea and toast and more. the hotel was very good value for the money and will definately be visiting some time soon. well done to all the staff, nothing was too much trouble. lots of places to visit nearby and went a walk through the forest on the sunday a lovely setting.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ryan M,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Speech House.
Delighted to learn that you enjoyed the food and your stay and that our team took good care of you during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the not too distant future and hope you will have more time to explore this wonderfull area.
Thanks once again
Best wishes
Director

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!