“Fabulous B&B, in a gorgeous rural location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carricks at Castle Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dereham
Carricks at Castle Farm
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Castle Farm | Swanton Morley, Dereham NR20 4JT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Dereham B&B and Inns
UK
“Fabulous B&B, in a gorgeous rural location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Staying here in August 2013 for a wedding in nearby Gressenhall, I had the best B&B experience I've had so far. The house is part of a working farm so there are cows and sheep but also a welcoming dog, a roving flock of geese (with goslings when I was there), a farm cat curled up on the farmhouse backdoor step, a formal garden and a a meadow-like lawn running down to a river. All this completely at my disposal.
I watched dragonflies dance on the river as the sun set and listened to birds all around me, I think you can fish further down the river. Heavenly spot. then there's the room themselves. I stayed in the Carrick Room. I was so lucky...as a single traveller I often get the smallest room. At Carrick's Farm I got, I think, the biggest! A canopied bed, antique/ family pieces of furniture, windows all round overlooking both the garden and down to the river, a roll top bath with a drench shower over, marble units...I could go on. But I don't need to.
With a warm welcome from Jean, the best room I've ever stayed in a B&B,stunning rural location (you might need a satnav in this part of the world, I did) breakfast at an enormous but friendly table with fellow travellers the next morning, my stay at Carrick's was 5*.
Thank you Jean.

Room Tip: The Carrick Room is stunning - huge, views that are perfect, roll top bath with drench shower!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winchester, Hants.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

stayed here last week on a fishing trip with 7 friends. 5 star food: evening meal was salmon en croute the best I have eaten, good breakfast menu. Service was very friendly and helpful, it was like being a guest in a private house furnished with family antiques. Lovely rooms with great views and bathrooms. Looking forward to my nest visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night whilst attending a wedding at Hunters Hall. This B&B isn't cheap but the rooms was lovely with beautiful aspects from both windows. Our bathroom was quite small with no bath, but the shower was lovely. Bed linen was of a good quality and there were some nice finishing touches such as homemade cookies and bag of toiletries in the bathroom. Breakfast was freshly cooked to a high standard with local produce and there was plenty of fresh fruit and home made jams and marmalade as well as a plentiful supply of coffee. Just wish we'd stayed another night to explore the local area more fully.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed in just one night, and wished we could have stayed longer. An idilic farmhouse in a rural location next to the river, surrounded by farm animals. Traditional farmhouse, with an eclective selection of rooms and furnishings. The owner was super helpful and friendly and was only too happy to stop and chat to us. Tiny bit slow on the breakfast front, particularly given we'd placed our orders and times the previous day, and also that our baby wasn't really keen on waiting, but when they did arrive they were perfect. Sausages from the farm butchery, good bacon, homemade preserves. The owner even offered to help me with my daughter while I had my breakfast. Casual checking out time (which worked brilliantly for us) and a very relaxed atmosphere.The farm is also pretty 'green' too, with a real feel they actually care about the environment. Can't really think how this could have been better.

Room Tip: Carrick Fox room doesn't have a 'en suite' as such, but does have your own private showe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Grosse Ile, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband & I were on a 36 day tour of the UK - staying at 22 different locations - Carricks at Castle Farm was our last B&B before flying home to the US. It was, by far, the most beautiful, peaceful, relaxing way to end our fabulous trip. Jean was amazing, not only as our hostess, but her meals were exquisite and her friendship, priceless. Jean and her assistant, Carol, with their attention and warmth, made us feel like we were family. The garden & grounds were gorgeous, our room was beautiful and the bath was excellent. The next time we travel to the UK, Carricks will be our first choice.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

A wonderful location, quiet but all attractions within easy reach.
Jean and her helpers were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble..
Dylan the dog was always pleased to see us as well (but not boisterous).

Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Three lovely nights at this home from home, where everything is just very comfortable and very relaxed. It is lovely be at the centre of this working farm too - a great love for the animals and pastures in the care of this genuinely very nice family.

We ate very well and enjoyed the walks in the grounds and along the river bank - if you think that Norfolk is just flat and dull then think again because Castle Farm is nestled is some beautiful hills that would make any Cotswold man green with envy!

Highly recommended for all types of visitor - enjoy it as we did!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed lovely and we heard no complaints from other guests.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carricks at Castle Farm? Share your experiences!