Ok, so, seasoned traveller who actually worked in this business many years ago so has some knowledge and experience and tends to spot things others may not. I've stayed here before once and loved it so booked again. The building, atmosphere, cleanliness you cannot fault. My visit tonight was spoilt by bad service. Two young guys behind the bar who preferred talking to each other about nothing rather than paying attention to empty glasses when i had pre dinner drinks outside, and empty plates that had been finished eating 15 minutes previously. One of them looked at my empty plate 3 times and still walked by. A simple request for black pepper and mayo for my £15 burger and chips was met by I don't think we have that but ill go check - which he did - but by the time he returned - only with my mayo - I'd pretty much finished the burger (and I'd waited about 5 mins before tucking in as I was worried about it going cold). When I asked "did you find any black pepper" he said "no we don't have any" and as I was about to say that cant be right he asked another member of staff who said of course we do and within a few seconds I had black pepper. It's sad that poor service (or maybe training actually) in one area of the hotel can reflect on the entire establishment and prompt me to write this review. Whilst sat there in the bar I heard comments between staff about management and one even saying s**t at some point - although she seemed horrified when one if them pointed out i was in the room. It's just not the standard this hotel portrays and it shouldn't happen. I saw management telling one of them off which was well deserved BUT have a word in private please !! I know this is a workplace and I know the conversations that go on in a catering workplace but more awareness of customers around them would prevent comments like mine appearing. Anyway - apart from that I have to say - oops as I was about to type something good I just heard the chef saying the f word a few times as I'm now sat outside the grill restaurant - oh boy. Look: great building, lovely high standard of rooms, gardens and facilities are awesome as is location but come on guys - get the simple things right. When you're charging the prices you charge I don't want to hear what ive heard or have the poor service ive had. i would like better service than lads standing around chatting instead of being attentive. Having said that - as I sit here outside the restaurant the staff in there seem on their game and professional so maybe this is isolated, ill stay here again (assuming the management allow me after my HONEST appraisal) :-). Overall - it's. great place but the stupid little things like I've described let it down.
- Also Known As:
- Great Fosters Hotel
- Great Fosters Egham
- Great Fosters Hotel Egham
- Great Fosters Egham, Surrey, UK
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Probably built as a Royal Hunting lodge and very much a stately home since the 16th century, Great Fosters is now a prestigious hotel. Set amongst 50 acres of gardens and parkland, the hotel is a Grade One listed building blessed with the grandeur of 16th century England and luxurious modern facilities. Its past is evident in the mullioned windows, tall chimneys, fireplaces and brick finials, while the Saxon moat, crossed by a Japanese bridge, surrounds three sides of the formal garden. All the suites and bedrooms are individually decorated. The bedrooms in the Main House are adorned with tapestries and antiques, whilst the bedrooms in The Cloisters are more contemporary in style. The Coach House, refurbished in 2008, offers luxurious accommodation with the latest plasma screens, i-pod docking stations and fabulous bathrooms. The hotel offers a choice of two restaurants, The Estate Grill and The Tudor Room at Great Fosters. The Estate Grill is less formal and serves a simple and seasonal menu with many of the dishes cooked on a Josper grill. The Tudor Room at Great Fosters is an intimate, more sophisticated dining experience with just 24 covers set in a lavishly decorated dining room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Great Fosters reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.