“Nice hotel but not five star and not really worth the cost...” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belleek Road, Enniskillen BT93 7ED, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Enniskillen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel but not five star and not really worth the cost...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed here for two nights as part of our holiday in Ireland this year. We were driving from Cork to Donegal and chose this spot as a location to stop off in between for some rest and relaxation.

On arrival at the hotel the first impressions aren't great. The entrance is via the entrance for the Castle Hume golf course and there is curretly construction of a golf driving range etc. underway here. Hence, the first thing we were geeted with on turning into the resort was what looked like a construction site - after spending a good few hours on the road anticipating our luxurious hotel this was a bit underwhelming to say the least.

The hotel is about 750 yards up the entrance road from the gate and to be honest the exterior of it doesn't quite fit in with the Lough Erne landscape. It has a very modern look to it (complete with turrets!) and the grey/white colour of the building is very drab. The car park area around the hotel is very barren and bare and really needs a bit of landscaping to give it a mature look. Again not what one expects when shelling out for a luxury hotel break and left us initially wondering if we were in the right place....

First impressions aside, the interior of the hotel is really beautiful and the staff and service is excellent. We really liked the old style decor complete with dark wood panelling, luxurious armchairs and lovely wood fires. Check in was efficient and painless and when escorted to our room we found it to be all that we had expected. The bathroom was lovely and spacious with a great shower and the room itself was lovely apart from the car park view!!

The Spa in the hotel is excellent also. There's a lovely little pool and excellent steam room and sauna etc. and lovely views of the lough and the Faldo golf course. While cooling down in between saunas I spent a few minutes watching play on the stunning 18th hole! My wife had a massage at the thai spa and it was brilliant also.

From a food and drink perspective we were impressed but not blown away by the fare in the hotel. On our first night we had food in the informal bar/lounge area and it was lovely. The menu consists of small dishes of which two make up a main meal. It was nice to be able to mix and match a bit and the food and service here was great. The bar is really comfortable and we spent a few hours post dinner relaxing in the afore mentioned armchairs. On the second night we eat in the golf clubhouse in preference to the Catalina restaurant (where the menu was a bit too traditional) and it was really only average - no better than can be had in any golf clubhouse in Ireland. Breakfast on both mornings was lovely though and again the service was brilliant.

For golfers there is a choice of two courses; - the signature Faldo course or the Castle Hume course. As my wife doesn't golf I played the Castle Hume course which is a nice course although it doesn't seem to be kept that well - the Faldo course is the real moey spinner but the green fees are a bit prohibitive at £100!

All in all we enjoyed our stay at Lough Erne but it's not a five star hotel - four star really. It seems to be basing the five star reputation on the accompanying Faldo course while neglecting some basic aspects of the guest experience and forgetting that many of the guests won't even play this course. We got a better deal than the rack rates on the internet but it was still expensive and we've stayed in nicer hotels in Ireland which are more reasonable. We wouldn't pay that kind of money to stay there again to be honest....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

The hotel is in a beautiful setting on the lake, although not all rooms have a view of it – quite a few overlook the entrance and car park.
It is about 3 miles out of Enniskillen on the road to Beleek. The hotel has its own superb looking golf course and is adjacent to a second course, Castlehume.

Although the hotel is newly built, it is an older very traditional style with dark wood and heavier styled furniture, open fireplaces (one real log fire, a couple of gas ones). This works well in the public areas - the reception, great hall, library, bar etc but I am personally not so keen on this décor in the bedrooms. One big design omission here is that there is no air con in the bedrooms. I realise this is Ireland but hotels do get hot and even those with 3 stars have air con.

Also the bed was the type where two twins get zipped together to make a double, which means there is the inevitable ridge in the middle. I prefer the Marriott hotel group's beds which are amongst the most comfortable I have experienced.

Only one armchair plus one desk/work chair in the room so not good for sitting reading/relaxing in room. We also had my mother in to our room for a cup of tea one afternoon and as there are only 2 seats in total one of us had to sit on the bed. Bedroom has usual tv, mini bar, safe, tea/coffee etc. Turndown service supplies water/chocs and replaces towels if required. Fluffy robes and nice slippers.

Free wifi access is provided to residents – although the system is cumbersome. It is provided by Bitbuzz – so firstly you need to register with them( a bit of a chore), then you need a voucher code from reception to access the wifi. This access lasts 24 hours and you have to get a new code after that. I had phone and laptop with me and could only have wifi on one working at a time - which was a bit of a pain if you were on one in the room then went out and wanted something on the phone. Much prefer system in other hotels in which you just select the wifi network on the device, maybe one password and don’t have all the registration stuff.

Bathroom is large and well equipped – free standing claw foot bath, large marble surround vanitory basin, old fashioned style toilet ( water tank up high, pull flush style) very modern separate shower – strangely only rain shower and not the usual combination of rainshower/ plus other flexible shower head so not very good if you want a shower and don’t want to wash your hair too - so not very female friendly (I ended up taking a bath as it was easier) Lovely Damona toiletries – olive soap, really nice moisturiser/shower gel/shampoo. No cotton wool which I thought was a bit odd. Lots of really good quality fluffy towels.

The service in the hotel is absolutely outstanding. We were met on arrival by Brendan, who sorted our parking space, unloaded our luggage and escorted us to checkin. He waited for us and then accompanied us to our rooms where he gave us a comprehensive run down of where everything was and how to work it. Without being asked, even wrote down for my mother how to phone my room, with the number and prefix for her!
This was all done in a natural, nice, informal way – without any of the stuffiness so often encountered in 5* hotels. Throughout our stay Brendan was just superb – seemed to do everything we needed – brought ice to the room when we ordered it, brought me a shower cap which was missing from the bathroom, and after we had asked him for advice on where to eat in the resort, and what sort of meals there were in each restaurant, he brought photocopies of all the menus up to our room for us.
The staff really make this hotel – we did not encounter one who wasn’t absolutely natural, charming and nice - people who would do anything to help. The vast majority were from the local area and knew about the area. The lady at reception who checked us out was a delight, Bob and others in the bar were great, and all the team at the front door were lovely – well done.

Food is available in the bar – a good variety with slightly smaller than normal (and slightly cheaper) portions so it is nice to have 2/3 different things and enjoy the variety without being completely full up or only able to eat a main course. I loved the small fillet steak (5oz was perfect) with pont neuf chips (£15) and the 4 Irish cheeses with scrummy oat biscuits and a sort of fruit jelly/compote thing (£10)
The Loughside Bar and Grill is the golf clubhouse and slightly apart from the main hotel. It has a lovely view and a good menu. Our party enjoyed the steaks here. I had a problem with my curry but it was resolved well by staff.

The main restaurant is the Catalina. I thought the menu was a little restricted, although I can understand it is better to do a few things very well and cook them freshly, rather than offering more pre - prepared things. However between the 3 of us we couldn’t all get something to suit here so didn’t try it.
(Choice was basically a version of salmon/chicken/beef/lamb /lobster or mixed grill)
Breakfast was served in the Catalina. It was great. Toast and coffee served, can order omelette and various other things off a menu (included) and the rest is on a buffet to the side of the room. Cereals, delicious fruits including figs, juices, cheeses, smoked salmon, lovely hot selection, Danish/croissants/muffins etc.
Overall food is fine, some things were better than others, but I wouldn’t rave about it.

There was a wedding on each day of our stay – these are in the wedding/conference centre which is between the main hotel and the Loughside clubhouse so are pretty separate. They do tend to take the photos in the area outside the main bar/great hall so it is nice to people-watch the wedding style in the afternoon. Lovely venue for a wedding.

All the tvs in public areas constantly show a video of the latest Lough Erne golf challenge) Maybe that’s fine if you call in for a drink or a meal but as a resident it drives you mad. I can understand not having a tv in a public area, but if you have one don’t just show the same thing again and again and again. There actually was a world championship golf competition televised over the weekend but not being shown on the hotel’s screens – just the old rerun again! I would have thought live golf – in which the hotel’s touring professional Rory McIlroy was competing was entirely appropriate viewing for this hotel!

All in all we had a lovely stay and enjoyed the 2 days although we did get a very good value deal. I am not sure if the full rate is really value for money and food and drink is, as expected in a five star, quite expensive too. Also 2 days is just perfect – not sure that I would want to stay longer on one visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed for one night, had dinner in the bar and grill, excellent friendly service.

played golf - greens in awesome condition - course has some truly spectacular holes (esp. last 3)

well worth a vist and could be combined with a trip to donegal -

they should offer free Wifi though - bit stingy to charge for same

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This hotel certainly has the 'wow' factor - luxurious rooms, huge bathrooms, amazing surroundings and staff that couldn't be more helpful and attentive.
The evening meal was a bit disappointing and over priced to be honest but I'm sure witha little tweaking of the menu and the prices this could be solved easily and hopefully get more than the 6 other diners that accompanied us into the dining room.
My only other small gripe was with the pool area - its quite dark and dreary and does not have the same luxurious feel of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
N Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

The hotel and grounds absolutely exudes wealth so thats why I find the pool area so disappointing, The pool is quite small and dark due to the dark tiles. There is no atmosphere or sense of luxury at all - there are no loungers around the pool (nor would there be the space for them) - they have missed a wonderful opportunity to use much more glass overlooking the lake. The jacuzzi and steam room were uncomfortably hot. There are only two showers in the changing room and two small hairdriers and quite a compact area with mirrors to do your hair - would not like to see it if it was busy. I asked the girl at reception for a brochure on their spa treatments but she said they didnt have any as they were being reprinted but that she would take my name and address and send me one out. I said I wanted to see it now as I was staying in the hotel - she totally missed a selling opportunity and told me I could look it up online. I asked was there a relaxation area where I could lie and read a book and she said there was an area in the Thai spa area but you had to have a treatment to be able to use it, We had a voucher for the overnight stay in the hotel which said was for a courtyard view room - is this the new name for the car park?? The room was quite dark and old world - although a very large ensuite which was disabled friendly. The bed though was really comfortable and turn down service included water and chocolates. There was a well stocked mini bar but prices were far too expensive. We dined in the catalina restaurant which has a lovely view. The restaurant is very richly decorated but a bit cramped - most notable at breakfast time when it was busier. Staff were very professional. Dinner is £36 for two courses or £42 for 3 courses but almost half of the starters and main courses had supplements of up to £6.50! The cheapest bottle of wine is £23 with most of them well over £30. So whilst the food was lovely, at £112 per couple including wine we felt it was overpriced. The price of drink in the bar was also much too high, and probably explained why it was half empty. Breakfast was very good and there is a buffet area but you can also order an extensive list of freshly cooked food - the french brioche was very nice.The hotel has a really comfortable sitting areas - large open fires, huge sofas, beautiful views and you could sit there all day reading the papers and just people watch. Plenty of staff about to help and greet customers. The reception area is surprisingly small for a 5 star hotel and therefore there are only two staff doing checkouts which is totally inadequate at 12.00 when everyone is checking out at the same time -particularly after a wedding. We walked up to the Golf shop - it is really expensive with all the clothes branded Lough Erne - nobody in it though. The restaurant there would be a bit more reasonably priced and a bit more casual. We didnt do the walk around the course but I understand it is really nice. To play the Faldo course is really expensive - (there are specials coming up at £150 per couple during their anniversary week) - I'm afraid my standard of play would not warrant paying that ., but I understand the course is fantastic. There are houses for sale on the complex - many of them remain unsold - and whilst there was many very impressive cars parked outside the hotel, I reckon this is an hotel and golf course where they will have to reduce prices if they want to continue to be in business . I certainly would recommend that you visit this hotel if you get a good enough deal - however I would rate the spa in the Galgorm Manor in Ballymena or the Farnham Raddison Hotel in Cavan much higher.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Toome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

Stayed here with my Husband and 1 year old daughter on May Bank Holiday. The hotel is beautiful, grounds amazing. Very child friendly, the staff were amazing sooo nice and made you feel really at home.

Only downside for me were the rooms were not 5 star have stayed in alot of 5 star hotels and they didn't compare.

Other than that - fab

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
darlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Service and friendliness was excellent !
Did not see 1 staff member looking grumpy.
Our only problem was the room - if you get room 102 you will be woken each morning about 6.00am with the staff filling the bottle recycling bins up and delivery vans/wagons. The recycling bins were directly below our window.
Also, the web site states that all rooms have great views of the lough, countryside or golf course - not true for room 102.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lough Erne Resort? Share your experiences!